Leg Cramps

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debbluebird

Leg Cramps

Post by debbluebird »

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I don't think I have asked this question before. I've been having leg cramps, and I don't know if it's related to my RLS/PLM or not. It happens when I first wake up in the middle of the night or in the morning. All I have to do is flex my foot or bend my knee. It can be severe. It doesn't always go away when I stand up. My potassium, calcium and sodium levels are within normal limits. But I have started eating a banana every day. Before, I only ate them every once in awhile. My RLS/PLM is the same.

sleepdancer2

Re: Leg Cramps

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Are you on any new meds that could account for the symptoms? How recently were your levels checked? I know it doesn't take long for my potassium to change, especially since I take a water pill. I'm supposed to take a daily potassium and when I get lax about it, I'll start getting cramps. Are yours a mild cramping or the charley horse make-you-jump-out-of-bed cramps?
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It comes and goes for me - I can go years without issue, then it will pop up. My sister is the same.

There are several things that are implicated in nocturnal leg cramps, from potassium to dehydration to magnesium. A recent article at American Family Physician suggests it is not electrolyte in origin, however. http://www.aafp.org/afp/2012/0815/p350.html

My guess is that no one really studies it much because it happens at night when you can't see the doctor or test levels. And, that it's not that big of a deal to those who study things ;-).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

No new meds. I was having them before the labs were drawn. They were just drawn recently. I decided to increase my water intake. Last night was better. I had only one that was mild. I did get up though. Before that they were severe. A few nights ago, I had to get up and walk around. It didn't go away for quite sometime. Finally it got better. With what I call a Charlie horse, they go away as soon as I stand on my feet. These don't go away right away. They feel like they muscle is in knots.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's so hard with some of these things to know if we're talking about the same thing, isn't it? You can't really explain it. The ones I get start when I stretch. As soon as I start to stretch the muscle, I can tell that it's going to knot up. If I can recoil quickly enough, I can mostly avoid it. If it does knot, it's painful for days, actually.

I had a mild one the other night - happened during sex. For three days, it's hurt to walk.

Crazy stuff we get. I know it's no crazier than other people, but in addition to the RLS/WED and the PLMs, it just seems to be too much at times.

Deb, my mom called me tonight. She thought she had a knee problem. Turns out she needs a hip replacement! I told her about your experience. She was a bit apprehensive when she called - mostly because she wasn't at all expecting it - but by the time we finished, she seemed to be almost happy about it, lol. Figured it's better to do it now and hopefully give her some better quality of life while she can still enjoy it.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

My cramps do often start when I stretch. It seems to be a bit better now that I have increased my water.
I think your Mom will find that the knee issues will go away, after the hip heals. Just tell her to do all the exercises so she will be able to move properly. Also make sure she follows all of the precautions while she is healing. I am still careful. You can't bend down straight like you are going to touch your toes. I bend my knees outward. Otherwise, that's how people pop out the new hip. Can't cross legs either. All the best to her.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks. I'll let her know.

How are the cramps these days? Any less frequent?

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Leg cramps seem to be better since I increased my water to 12 cups a day. I have to really work at it. I have been sleeping fairly well. Have to take an oxycodone once in awhile. Especially when I am more physical outdoors. We have so much to do in the summer.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, that's good news. I would have a hard time drinking all of that. I'm lucky to get in 5 or 6 cups. I just don't remember, even though I have it sitting at my desk.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I really don't have any choice. My kidneys are failing, and I'm at the point where I have to drink. I thought I was drinking enough. When people have kidney failure, then they are restricted with the fluids. I'm at stage 2 or 3, I don't remember which, so I have to drink. I blame all the drugs.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:I really don't have any choice. My kidneys are failing, and I'm at the point where I have to drink. I thought I was drinking enough. When people have kidney failure, then they are restricted with the fluids. I'm at stage 2 or 3, I don't remember which, so I have to drink. I blame all the drugs.

Hopefully this helps. And hopefully will keep the kidneys working as good as they can for as long as they can.

Managing Your RLS