After All These Years Some Improvement

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
sleepdancer2

After All These Years Some Improvement

Post by sleepdancer2 »

My diagnosis of PLMD was made in 1998, after some years of symptoms. While wandering through a maze of meds I developed RLS, maybe as a part of my augmentation, as once off the meds, my RLS symptoms have been infrequent. Anyhow, in the last 4 years of using a TENS Unit exclusively to treat my PLMD, I could count the times on my fingers I went to bed without using the TENS. I had found out the hard way there would be hell to pay. The few times I did fall into bed late and exhausted and do ok my sleep was so instantaneous and deep that I have no idea if I kicked or not. But lately.... I have been going to bed without using the TENS maybe 2 or 3 times a week and sleeping ok. Some nights my legs simply feel ok at bedtime, so I'm testing if my perception of how they feel is reliable. Haven't tried 2 night in a row though. So far so good. Trying to figure out if anything in my life has changed. Not my diet or meds or supplements or activity. If anything, the only changes are going to bed later and I've been drinking more coffee and even later in the day, which at one time would have been a recipe for a long miserable night. Got a few theories I'm kicking around. Wondered if any of them make sense outside my head. :lol:

My Theories
1. TENS treatment has residual effect lasting into the next night
2. The timing of the limb movements is early in the circadian cycle and I've stayed up past their window of time.
3. The movements have been calmed by treatment long enough (4+ years) for my brain to heal a bit.

Any thoughts?
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

ViewsAskew

Re: After All These Years Some Improvement

Post by ViewsAskew »

Great news that it's better!

No idea why.....that is the hardest thing we deal with here, isn't it? Trying to figure out the why - why it's worse, why it's better, why it happens at all, etc.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I like #2....

Anything new these days?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Thanks for asking. It is far too premature to give away my TENS Unit, but actually, I'm using it only a night or two a week. I can tell my legs are still a bit active as I'm dozing, but it's not enough to prevent me from sleeping nor am I seeing signs of poor quality sleep. I still wake up easily on my own after about 8 hours. When my quality of sleep was bad in the past, I slept much more trying to compensate. For now, I'm befuddled but glad.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Wait - just thought of something. Added a B12 Complex vitamin a few months ago. Can't imagine that alone has made the difference.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If you are low in it, it really could be. Most of us aren't low. But, these is likely a reason that there are so many anecdotal reports of vitamin intake resolving symptoms. We know that low levels of several vitamins adversely affects RLS/WED. So, maybe it was so for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.