Article on sleep depravation and live expectancy

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
srgraves01

Article on sleep depravation and live expectancy

Post by srgraves01 »

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/19/healt ... oryGalLink

Here is a link to an article on how sleep depravation decreases life expectancy.

Steve

ViewsAskew

Re: Article on sleep depravation and live expectancy

Post by ViewsAskew »

Golly, I just about don't want to read it...can't be good news for any of us!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I read through the article and it seems to me that they are missing something.

Yes, they have a statistical correlation between loss of sleep and reduced life expectancy. They blame the reduced life expectancy on increased body mass and blood pressure, which they say is a result of sleep deprivation. However, what if lack of sleep does not result in increased BMI and BP because the individual gets proper exercise? Does the "normal" BMI and lower BP return an individual to normal life expectancy?

So, it seems like they have an observed correlation but that they are really reaching with their logic in order to move from sleep issues to reduced life expectancy via BMI and BP.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

There is a LOT of the correlation without causation going around :-).

Did they blame the high BP that occurs at night instead of all the time high BP? None of us would know how high are BP is at night. I've definitely increased BMI, but that happened from the pramipexole use - 50 extra pounds that I just can't seem to shed. Ah, well, something has to get me. In some ways, I'd rather die of a heart attack in my sleep at 75 than of some other long-lasting insidious disease at 87 that caused me years of suffering!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

In some ways, I'd rather die of a heart attack in my sleep at 75 than of some other long-lasting insidious disease at 87 that caused me years of suffering!

I was just saying this yesterday !!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation