iron of 65mg tablets 3 times a day is good or not?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
figflower

Re: iron of 65mg tablets 3 times a day is good or not?

Post by figflower »

Do you feel the iron helps your RLS in any way?

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I think it has.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I take 2 ferrous sulphate or fumarate daily, both kinds have 65 mg elemental iron per pill. I haven't tried dropping for a year or so, but in the 4 or so years previous, every time I reduced or stopped, my symptoms got worse within about a week, and it took a few days after resumption before they retreated again.

I take other medication as well; I am not using only iron to treat the WED.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

figflower

Post by figflower »

Well Badnights, at least your name implies that your RLS is bad at night. And like I've said on here before, you wouldn't take an Advil in the morning if you tend to get headaches at night. Maybe when you run out of your usual iron try the iron bis-glyscinate on an empty stomach at night, before you take your other meds. Who knows, maybe you will need less or even none of the other meds?

figflower

Post by figflower »

Hi Deb. Here is another satisfied customer of iron from another support group. I believe she had low iron stores but is not anemic:

hi there, this is for jean and anyone else who suffers from restless leggs etc., I have suffered from it on and off for the last eight years. however, the last three have been shocking , so bad i wouldnt of trusted myself driving the next day in fear of falling asleep at the wheel. I am only fourty five yrs old too. I would sit down in the evening and most nights i would start to get fidgety and be so tired but i just couldnt sit still. Then i would head off to bed, trying to sleep being so tired, i would wake up on h our later and couldnt get anymore, i would have fidgety arms too in the end. However, just about when i was all out of ideas, my doctor found i had low iron so she gave me a liquick iron surup, called Ferodan. Well, it was for iron levels, but it blew me away when i slept really well the first night i took it. Then night after night i slept well still, then a night i forgot to take it i found i was a bit restless again. This iron works wonders and its been approximately two months now, I feel so happy , Please, people,. try it, it is worth it

pab628

Post by pab628 »

Even though my Ferritin was 209, my neurologist had his nurse call me and tell me to take 2- 325 mg Iron tables(65) a day, one in the morning and one in the evening. The other readings from the blood test were Serum: 50 (normal is 40-150) and Saturation 20% (normal being 15-55). Well, I'm only taking one tablet with my evening meal. Two sounded like a lot. And, by the way does anyone else have burning feet? This didn't start till I cut my Ropinirole by 1/2 mg and increased my Clonazepam to 1 mg (from 1/2); all by doctor's instructions.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Burning feet are not an RLS/WED symptom. But it is typical of neuropathy.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

figflower

Post by figflower »

Hi Pab. Smart doctor you have there. It doesn't seem like there is a magic number when it comes to our iron stores and RLS. No matter how high my stores get, I still get attacks of RLS. And iron in the form of iron bis-glycinate will ALWAYS relieve the attack. I have to take it on an EMPTY stomach and during the attack for it to work. Only works for one night so iron is not a cure for me but rather the best darn RLS symptom reliever out there. The regular kind of iron called ferrous sulfate has never worked for me. The iron bis-glycinate is a very broken down form of iron that I believe is able to cross the blood brain barrier whereas the other forms of iron cannot. So the other forms will get your stores up and red blood count up but will do nothing for RLS. RLS is sometimes referred to as the anemic brain. So if the doesn't get to the brain it won't help Please know that this is my theory. It is the only explanation that makes sense as to why bis-glycinate works for me but not the other kind. Good luck and keep us posted.

figflower

Post by figflower »

If you google magnesium bisglycinate and blood brain barrier you will see claims that it is able to cross blood brain barrier. I could not find anything about iron bisglycinate crossing the BBB.

pab628

Post by pab628 »

I have "Googled" "burning feet" and found various reasons. Among them were Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, Alcoholism (which isn't it, since I have about 2 drinks with girlfriends a month), and I believe it mentioned Neuropathy. How does one get Neuropathy? Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack this topic and will move it if moderators think I should. Thank you. Oh, guess I should see my PCP or Neurologist about this.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Neuropathy is often a side effect of diabetes and alcoholism - not sure of hypothyroidism. There are different types of neuropathy, however, and some you can get just because!

Yes, do see your PCP. I don't know if they would require a visit to a neurologist or diagnose based on symptoms.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pab628

Post by pab628 »

I have a full blood panel once a year and the last was October 31. But, I think I'll be calling my PCP. I wouldn't think it would be diabetes, but who knows (I do eat a lot of chocolate). It isn't alcoholism. The only alcohol I have is a glass of white wine or margarita with my girlfriends a couple of times a month.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

pab628 wrote:I have a full blood panel once a year and the last was October 31. But, I think I'll be calling my PCP. I wouldn't think it would be diabetes, but who knows (I do eat a lot of chocolate). It isn't alcoholism. The only alcohol I have is a glass of white wine or margarita with my girlfriends a couple of times a month.

As I said, it just could be primary. When it occurs because of another disease, it's secondary. But, it happens a lot with no known cause.

Managing Your RLS