Having RLS/PLM makes me crazy at times

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debbluebird

Having RLS/PLM makes me crazy at times

Post by debbluebird »

I'm always thinking that things that I do causes my RLS/PLM. This just isn't the case. Things that I do or consume can only make my legs worse. For the last couple of months my legs have been worse than usual, waking me up several times a night. I blamed the increase activity. But the last four nights I have not had any RLS/PLM. I have slept 9 to 10 hours, with two or three bathroom breaks. I have been working very hard this week, just like I have all summer. We are stripping our house, staining, varnishing and sealing. Plus yard work. We had our sewer replaced, which tore up the yard and driveway. Yesterday I hauled buckets of rocks. Having the yard dug up, brought up lots of rocks. Have to pick them all up, so we will be able to plant grass and mow it. It goes on and on. This summer is kicking our butts.
But, I'm in a good period. Yeah, sleeping. Hope it lasts another week. I've even had chocolate which, the caffeine can mess my legs up. I was pretty tired the last couple of months, with my legs waking me up.
Who knows what really causes it. I only decrease my Methadone by one tablet.

ViewsAskew

Re: Having RLS/PLM makes me crazy at times

Post by ViewsAskew »

Glad to hear! And, sounds like the house is going to look awesome when you are finished :-).

I agree, Deb. I'm often try to figure out it. I try to remember what you just said - you just can't know sometimes and it's not always my fault. It just is.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

My good period ended. Only four nights. Last night had leg jerks a couple of times. Tonight I'm lying here watching TV and it has begun again, more leg jerks. I will have to get up soon, take a pill early and walk around a bit. Hopefully then, I will be able to go to sleep.
I have noticed that the good periods are getting shorter and the bad periods are longer.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ugh.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

My bad period only lasted a few days. I couldn't believe it. So since then I have been symptoms free. This is really hard to believe. I'm still very busy and active. We are still working on the outside of our house. We aren't half done yet, but getting close. It is starting to look amazing. I hope we have an Indian summer. We need more time. :D

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Love to hear news such as this!

Hope you get your wish on the extra summer days :-).

Managing Your RLS

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Deb, that's great news. Getting a good nights sleep for several nights in a row is fabulous, I hope your good nights are more plentiful than bad ones.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason for bad or extra bad nights. Physical labor can go either way as can long walks, strenuous exercise etc.

figflower

Post by figflower »

Deb are you still taking daily iron.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yes, I still take iron, 325 mg.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

For the last couple of weeks, my leg has been bad. More like several years ago, before my hip surgeries. I feel like I'm having an arthritics flare up. I just hate it when I'm up for 3 or 4 hours in the middle of the night or can't even go to sleep until after 3 am. I finally decided to add back a gabapentin 300 mg to my night time schedule. It really made a difference. I don't know how long I will do this. Will just play it by ear. I will not increase my methadone.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've had the worst week I've had in ages. No idea why, either. And, like you, I just hate it when it makes my schedule so wonky.

Hope the gabapentin helps.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Well, leg is still not that great, but it's ok. I'm getting some sleep. Trying to watch the food. I can see the difference with adding the gabapentin. I don't want to gain more weight. Will add riding my bike. I haven't been riding this summer since I've been so active. We are still working on our house. We just may get it done before winter.
Deb

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I hear you on the weight gain. Since I've added it back in, I've added a few pounds, too. I actually track what I eat....and I honestly haven't increased my intake by more than 100 to 200 calories a day - maybe worth a pound or two since I started taking it. But, I've gained almost ten. I honestly do not understand that.

Hope your increased exercise helps. I recently started teaching at a local university - am going to try to swim a few days a week.

Winter comes up fast in those higher elevations - hope you get things done.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I stopped the Gabapentin last night. I didn't feel like I still needed it. My legs were fine, but I didn't sleep well. I was just awake. Then later had symptoms in my arms. I've had that feeling before, but I wasn't taking or stopping Gabapentin at the time. It didn't last too long. I'm thinking tonight will be better.
House is about done. We are going to get it finished in the next few days. The weather cooperated.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Congratulations! So happy to hear about the house.

Hope tonight is better. I had a bad night last night, but I know why - tonight should be better.

Managing Your RLS