Different Countries, Different Meds?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
jul2873

Different Countries, Different Meds?

Post by jul2873 »

I live in the USA, but have lately been reading a site called HealthUnlocked. Most of the posters seems to live in England. What I find so interesting is that a common treatment over there is Tramodol. It's called Ultram here. But I see Wikipedia classifies it as an "opiate pain medication." There are also frequent references to using codeine and other pain meds, although not methadone. The DA's are also prescribed, but when someone mentions taking large doses of them, the rest of the posters immediately start talking about augmentation, and suggest pain meds like Tramodol.

I haven't yet picked up from any of the posters a worry in England over prescribing opioid medications for pain. So interesting. I wonder if we had a National Health Service if USA doctors wouldn't be so worried anymore about being sued or losing their licenses for prescribing effective treatments.

Polar Bear

Re: Different Countries, Different Meds?

Post by Polar Bear »

I live in the UK and use Tramadol and Cocodamol to supplement my DA ropinerole (and other aches and pains.)
These are at the lower end of the opiate scale and no way will my GP consider moving up this scale.
Also, my understanding is that Tramadol (Ultram) is a synthetic opiod.... I see it often referred to as 'narcotic like'.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

tea4one

Post by tea4one »

I would like to attend graduate school in the UK, but I take fentanyl and lately methadone (1/2 tab) in addition for breakthrough pain. From what I can tell I would have difficulty finding a doctor who is knowledgeable and willing to treat my RLS adequately. I emailed the medical center in Austria, but received no reply. Maybe someone with the Foundation may be able to relay my question and concerns ref. attending school abroad as a non-EU (international) student.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I do hope you get someone to help you. It still boggles my mind that in 2015 we cannot always get adequate treatment for this dratted disorder.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

branti

Post by branti »

A litle off topic but talking about different countries made we want to post this. We recently had an older family member who lives in Wales visit with us for several weeks. She hadn't mentioned any health issues but after several evenings of observing frequent leg movements I asked if she had RLS. She wasn't familiar with that name but when I told her my symptoms & the diagnosis she was overwhelmed. Said she thought it was all in her head. When she asked her GP about it he downplayed the symptoms & wouldn't investigate. She told me she couldn't even go in with the info I provided as he always said he was the Doctor, not her. Changing Doctors wasn't an option. At least she was reassured that she wasn't imagining it. At least here in North America we have so many resources available to us, including this discussion board. I thank everyone for all the support I have personally received.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I would imagine that your Welsh relative could go to another doctor in her medical practice and take with her a relevant article that explains what RLS is and appropriate treatment.
Or even better she could get a copy of this book: it is easy to read and can be used for discussion purposes with her doctor.
Clinical Management of Restless Legs Syndrome by Lee, Buchfuhrer, Allen and Hening. Make sure to get the second edition. These Authors are at the top of the league when it comes to the treatment of WED/RLS. It can be found on Amazon.

Going to the main RLS Foundation site there are a few leaflets available to non members that can be printed out and used to help educate/guide a doctor.
A doctor who says 'he is the doctor' .... in my humble opinion doesn't have an appropriate attitude.
Is it possible that your relative could take someone with her to a doctor appointment, this someone could be well versed beforehand that treatment is most definitely needed. And be armed with the above mentioned book/other relevant guidance information. And if Dr will not cooperate, ask to see another member of the practice, or indeed the senior partner. Or have a referral to a neurologist versed in RLS - although sadly I don't think everyone who claims to be versed is indeed so !!

Also, she should have her ferritin serum level checked, this is pretty important. It is a blood test that is not normally done with routine blood works and you need to ask for it. This tells the level of iron stored in your brain – and that is what is important to us sufferers of WED/RLS. We need a level of around 100, especially if we are taking a DA drug such as pramipezole or ropinerole. When getting the results of this test she should ask the doctor for the actual level = do not accept ‘normal’ as an answer. Doctors and Labs may consider 20 to be normal… but it isn’t normal for us.

This lady needs help and from someone.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation