RLS/Methadone/Groin Buzz

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Dkee

RLS/Methadone/Groin Buzz

Post by Dkee »

This question is directed to those who are primararly on Methadone as a treatment for RLS. Has anyone with RLS and on Methadone for treatment experienced the sensation of a buzzing (similar to the sensation of a cell phone in your pocket buzzing during the ring cycle) in the groin area? The buzz may have different levels of intensities and duration and is more noticeable during times of rest. The sensation is not painful just irritating.

I am not stating that there is a definite association between RLS and the buzzing sensation or Methadone and the buzzing sensation, I am just interested in exploring the possibility of an association between Methadone usage and the buzzing.

Some people may call this buzzing BFS, I'm not sure that defines my sensation. I have read that Methadone may cause BFS. I am experiencing this sensation of recent and trying to determine what it is. I have been on 7.5 mg of Methadone once per day for the past 5 years without ever experiencing these sensations and now suddenly I am experiencing the symptoms. Nothing else has change, no new meds., etc. I have not had the opportunity to discuss these symptoms with my doctor as yet but intent to at our next meeting. Any help is appreciated.

ViewsAskew

Re: RLS/Methadone/Groin Buzz

Post by ViewsAskew »

It hasn't happened to me. Methadone had been my primary treatment for about 6 or 7 years, I think.

BFS - benign fasciculation syndrome - had been mentioned here before, however. I do not recall it mentioned in conjunction with methadone.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Dkee

Post by Dkee »

So do you think it is associated with the Methadone?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

BFS is not as far as I know related to methadone - the bit I know about it related to withdrawal of methadone, but I haven't read much at all about it. You mentioned you were researching BFS to see if it matched your symptoms. What do you think?

I have a colleague with fibro - he talks of a buzzing feeling. Could be another place to search.

My only knowledge is mostly anecdotal and about myself - I use methadone, I do not have buzzing. I wish I knew more. In terms of the people with BFS here - I don't think they were using methadone, but I don't know.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.