RLS worse on a full moon

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
DeuceNova

RLS worse on a full moon

Post by DeuceNova »

I've had RLS all my life (67 years). Both my parents had it and our youngest son has it.

I noticed in my teens that my RLS (which didn't have a name back then) was worse on full moon nights! I mean I can tell when it's a full moon without looking outside because my legs start twitching and I can't sit still!

I've take 10 mg Zoliodem for those nights that I KNOW that my RLS is going to be killing me.

Just curious, has anyone else noticed that your RLS is worse on full moon cycles?

badnights

Re: RLS worse on a full moon

Post by badnights »

No, but it's worse right before my period, for 2 - 5 days. My periods are 6-7 weeks apart, so it's not in sync with the moon.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I've take 10 mg Zoliodem for those nights that I KNOW that my RLS is going to be killing me.

Do you mean you take Zolpidem, which is a sleeping tablet. This will help aid with sleep but doesn't actual do anything for the RLS symptoms.
Do you take any medication for your RLS.

By way of note -- in my husband's line of work - he always insisted that on a full moon they would be much more busy!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

DeuceNova

Post by DeuceNova »

Ask anyone in law enforcement or in an emergency room will tell you that during full moons, it's LUNACY!

My family dr started me on Ropinirol HCl which I took last night. I'm ASSUMING that it takes time for it to take effect as I got NO sleep at all. My "fear" with Ropinitrol is that it might be setting off my IBS.

How do I know that it might be setting off my IBS? When I ingest something that my digestive system doesn't like, about four to six hours later I get a "taste" in my mount similar to when you get a piece of aluminum foil between your top and bottom teeth. There actually is a name for it and it's called a "ferimone reaction".

OBTW, my spelling is not the best anymore. I used to be a very good speller but with time come age = things don't go as well as they should! LOL! So be patient.

Now, beyond that, I tried searching here for what meds work the best and didn't find anything.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

We are all so different that there is some trial and error involved in finding what medication will suit us best, and even then.... it can change.

My understanding of Ropinerole is that it works from the first dose, although the first dose may not be the dose that is needed to control your symptoms. It should be started low and then titrated upwards gradually until you reach the dosage which becomes effective. Titration is to avoid unwanted side effects as far as is possible.

What dosage have you started at and stay within the guidelines which now is a max of 1mg daily.

You should also have your ferritin serum checked before starting on ropinerole, you want it to be up around 100. Not 20-ish (which is normal for most folk).
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

DeuceNova

Post by DeuceNova »

Ferritin serum test showed that mine was below 100 so I take ferrous gluconate (sp?) twice a day.

My concern with the Ropinerole is that it is setting off my IBS and, TRUST ME, that is NOT a good thing! I'll try taking it again tonight but it better work as I didn't get one minutes sleep last night!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Since you have IBS, there is a bit of research that might apply to you. Also, are you sure you're not celiac? You likely are, but I feel compelled to ask because undiagnosed celiacs suffer from an increased risk of RLS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3479257/

http://www.drhagmeyer.com/restless-legs ... -hagmeyer/

At any rate, several people here have reduced their RLS through a gluten free diet and reducing possible SIBO, which could also help IBS. And, you may have already tried this things, but just in case you haven't, this might be helpful.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.