pramipexole

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
maybe

pramipexole

Post by maybe »

I have been using pramipexole for a while, right now I have arthritis of the knee which is painful since this happen. Pramipexole does not seen to work as well. I want to know what I could change to they are sending me to a pain clinic because the pain is so bad. Could the pain be causing restless to be worse, If not what could I take, thank you Maybe

Polar Bear

Re: pramipexole

Post by Polar Bear »

This is only my opinion.
Some people describe their RLS symptoms as creepy crawly type, others describe it as painful. If your symptoms were/are the creepy crawly type then I'd reckon your arthritis pain in the knee has little to do with your RLS.
Is it because of your knee arthritis that you are going to the Pain Clinic?

Your knee pain could be causing your RLS to seem worse - because it usually feels worse when we are stressed. It is more stressful to be dealing with two ongoing conditions at the same time.

If the pramipexole is not working as well as it did, it is possible that you are starting to augment on it. You should read up in the Augmentation section and see if it sounds familiar. What dose of pramipexole did you start on, what dose are you taking and did it work well when you first started to take it.

There are other medications to try for RLS, there are the anti seizure medications, all medications have their side effects.

Others use a combination of medications successfully.

A lot depends on the willingness of your doctor to learn and to treat properly.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

JimmyLegs44

Post by JimmyLegs44 »

I think there's a fairly good chance there is a correlation between your arthritis and the worsening of your RLS symptoms. I've always noticed my RLS symptoms tend to flare up or worsen whenever I have some sort of an injury, especially a leg or foot injury. I believe it is fairly common for RLS symptoms to worsen after a surgery, such as hip or knee replacement, so it doesn't surprise me that yours has worsened after onset of arthritis.

If you're open to trying something new, you might want to consider acupuncture for your arthritis. Acupuncture works very well for pain management for a lot of folks. If you're able to find an experienced practitioner, they may be able to treat your RLS symptoms as well. I've had some success using acupuncture for my RLS symptoms. Like a lot of other things, it works for some, not for others. You'll never know until you try it for yourself if it will work for you.
The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

badnights

Post by badnights »

Any sort of pain like arthritis is an added stressor for your body, and stress can actually make WED worse. Also, there's the unexplained but very common connection mentioned by jimmylegs, between operations or other insults to the body and the onset or worsening of WED, so I don't doubt that they might be related. I guess one way to find out would be to deal with the arthritis pain and see if that improves the WED. Not very helpful, sorry.

But also, as Betty suggested, you should ask yourself questions to determine if you might be augmenting on pramipexole. If you are, the onset of arthritis was either coincidence, or it added just enough stress for the worsened WED symptoms to become noticeable. Are your symptoms starting earlier in the day than before you started pramipexole? (This is all supposed to be in comparison to before you began the pramipexole, but it would also suggest augmentation if you answered yes compared to some other, more-recent time.) Have your symptoms increased in intensity so that the pramipexole doesn't cover them off, but it used to? Have they spread to other body parts? Do they start up sooner after you stop moving? Does the effect of the pramipexole seem to wear off sooner than it used to?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.