PLMW - Or Jerky Legs

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

Re: PLMW - Or Jerky Legs

Post by Polar Bear »

There must be something in the 'air' these days.
Mine have been playing up for 3 days now.

About ten days ago at a GP appointment I told doctor about little twitchy random jerks I've been having.
We discussed medications and Dr suggested that we try cutting the tramadol x twice daily (Maxitram 100g Slow Release) in half. It doesn't mix well with
Citalopram. So since that appointment its been 50mg Maxitram SR x 2 daily.
Happy to say that very quickly, within 2 or 3 days, the twitchy jerking had greatly subsided, and is has just about disappeared. The downside is that RLS/WED symptoms are a little more noticable.

Very happy to have reduced the tramadol.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I think I've figured out that some nights I will take 10 mg of Methadone around 1 am when I'm having leg issues. Then I'm good the rest of the night. But when I go back to 5 mg at 1 am, I will have insomnia. Then I take the other 5 mg a few hours later. I'm thinking it might be a little withdrawal. I always take 5 mg around 6 pm.
Never take more than a total of 15 mg.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I saw a new doctor today, a pulmonologist. He went over my sleep study and cpap reports with my different masks for the last several months. He thinks I have complex sleep apnea, obstructive and central. The masks and machine aren't helping at all. I get about 50 percent of actual sleep of the sleep I get, with many leaks. He thinks with a different machine, etc it would be better. He would like me off the methadone. Suggested different things, which I have done, except the patch, which I'm sure my insurance would not cover. He is also thinking with the other machine he could reduce my pressure. Eventually he thinks my RLS would get better, so I could go off the methadone. So of course this means another sleep study of another kind. He also wants it done in our altitude. Sometimes I wonder if I will have to move from this altitude, 8,200 feet. All of this may not happen for awhile, since it takes time for scheduling. It took me 3 months just to see him. Life goes on.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Interesting - not too many have complex, do they? It makes sense as to why it might not work so well for you.

You know, if the newest info about oxygen in our blood is part of the issue, it makes sense that altitude would add to that issue.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Deb, did he specify what type of machine he is thinking of? Does he think Methadone is the culprit causing the central aspect of your events? Since you're not rushing into anything, maybe it would be a good idea to get those answers and ask over on cpaptalk if the information you are getting makes sense. Complex sleep apnea and central sleep apnea can have variables that can make a difference which machine is the best option. Good luck with everything.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I have to have the sleep study done first. He mentioned two different machines. It will be awhile before I know anything.

badnights

Post by badnights »

It would be nice if you could experiment with living at lower altitude, without actually having to move. Have you had any holidays or trips to low altitude that lasted longer than 3 months? I'm guessing it would take at least that long to see any benefit, if altitude was hurting you...

I recall a study that showed altitude and latitude had no effect but it was very poorly done iirc - used information from people who posted online or something bizarre like that.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I've only lived at this altitude for five years. Haven't left for any significant amount of time since then. I've lived at sea level, but most of the time about 5,000 feet. Now at 8,200. After living at sea level and went back to 5,000, was when I had to start blood pressure meds. Since I've lost some weight, I've been able to cut that in half.

xristina47

Post by xristina47 »

Badnights, I have had the experience of living at changed altitudes. For the past 12 years I have lived in France at an altitude of 920 meters (3,018.4 feet) and I just couldn’t understand why, when I went to stay at sea-level in Brighton, UK for a period of 3 months, my RSL miraculously got better. I was able to go three months without any medication. I just couldn’t understand why once I returned to my mid-mountain home in France, my RLS got worse again. Maybe there really is something in this Hypoxia theory. It certainly seems to fit in my case. I am thinking of selling soon and will definitely be taking altitude into account when I choose my next home!

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I was just in Jonesboro, Ar, elevation 259. Visited my daughter and Grandkids. Guess what ? My legs were almost perfect. Had a little trouble the first night, I think due to a day of traveling. After that I slept every night. Still took my meds as usual.
Go figure.
I've been home two nights, and it's back to the same old thing. I was hoping that the last two nights were because of traveling again. Will see how it goes the next few nights.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Very interesting.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Tried to do some reading related to hypoxia and it seems that 5000 ft is a marker frequently mentioned above which people of good health start to experience some effects of higher altitude. I suspect "good health" may or may not apply to us risers. I remember about a decade ago doing a self experiment related to changes in air preasure particularly as it related to changes in air pressure during storms (which people with such conditions as arthritis and some with rls say worsens their symptoms). In any event each night I would log the air pressure and try to rate my rls symptoms with respect to that pressure. Low pressure usually is associated with bad weather i.e. storms while high pressure is generally good weather. I thought, ok, storms or low pressure will make my symptoms worse while I will feel better during calmer weather and higher barometric pressure. Long story is a lot of inconsistency or not apparent correlation between my rls symptoms and air pressure. Some nights during storms or approaching storms when the pressure dropped I rated my symptoms as worse. However, there were time during howling storms when my symptoms would not seem particularl different or even somewhat better. Agh! Nothing like a bit of worthless trivia at almost 3am.

Wishing all who visit here some peace this night
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Well, last night was good, no jerks. So maybe it's a good period. I'll take it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:Well, last night was good, no jerks. So maybe it's a good period. I'll take it.

I say Amen to that!

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

xristina47 wrote:Badnights, I have had the experience of living at changed altitudes. For the past 12 years I have lived in France at an altitude of 920 meters (3,018.4 feet) and I just couldn’t understand why, when I went to stay at sea-level in Brighton, UK for a period of 3 months, my RSL miraculously got better. I was able to go three months without any medication. I just couldn’t understand why once I returned to my mid-mountain home in France, my RLS got worse again. Maybe there really is something in this Hypoxia theory. It certainly seems to fit in my case. I am thinking of selling soon and will definitely be taking altitude into account when I choose my next home!

debbluebird wrote:I was just in Jonesboro, Ar, elevation 259. Visited my daughter and Grandkids. Guess what ? My legs were almost perfect. Had a little trouble the first night, I think due to a day of traveling. After that I slept every night. Still took my meds as usual.
Go figure.
I've been home two nights, and it's back to the same old thing.

Wow. This is really interesting. I have to try an oxygen machine!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.