Donating blood

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
saptree

Donating blood

Post by saptree »

Does donating a pint of blood lower your ferratin levels? I'm O- and constantly being hounded by the Red Cross. What are your experiences with blood donation?
Sherry

Rustsmith

Re: Donating blood

Post by Rustsmith »

There isn't going to be a simple answer to this. First, is your RLS primary or secondary? If secondary, is the other condition associated with low iron levels?
Next, are you able to keep your ferritin level up by taking supplements?
Finally, does your RLS really kick in if your ferritin level drops below 100 or is your concern one of augmentation prevention?

I have been able to donate blood without any problems, but I have primary RLS, can keep my ferritin over 200 with iron supplements and my ferritin concern has been associated more with augmentation rather than actual symptoms if the level drops for a short time.

So, the decision is yours. You can use your RLS to get off of their radar or you can decide whether your status allows you to continue.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Long ago - at least ten years - I read that donating blood was something we should not do. Dr Earley, maybe? If you search here, you'll find us talking about it around 2005 or 2006.

But, Steve's point is very valid. If you keep your ferritin high, it likely will not matter. And, if you have secondary that is NOT associated with anemia or other low iron issues, it likely is fine to do.

Given that my ferritin hovered between 8 and 16 for a few years and it dropped from over 300 to 75 within 8 weeks of getting an infusion, I have stopped doing it. I have A- and while not the rarest, they do like it when I come. It took years for them to finally stop contacting me after I stopped donating.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

It would depend on the individual. The only way to tell for sure would be to get your levels checked before and after! The problem is with too-frequent regular donation, so the trick is discovering where your particular line is between ok and too frequent. Personally I don't donate anymore, since like Ann I've had very low ferritin and for years whenever I dropped my oral iron dose, my symptoms flared up 5-7 days later. To me, that meant it was a fragile balance and I don't want to do anything to mess with it.

But if you've never had a ferritin problem - eg. if it's always been over 75 or 100 - then donating might not be a problem. You could try it just to see. Maybe on a schedule more widely paced than most donors. Best if you can convince your doctor/insurance that you need a ferritin test before you start, and then at some point later.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.