Financial help

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Pedantic

Financial help

Post by Pedantic »

I was planning on making a trip to Rochester to the Mayo Clinic but now find out that my insurance will not cover out of state medical costs. Please, my case is severe. Is there any fund/grant/scholarship/financial plan that can help a retiree pay for the Mayo treatment? I'm on my second neurologist who doesn't seem to know what he is doing (prescribes ropinerole, clonazepam and carb/levo all at once to take care of the symptoms). If push comes to shove I will pay with a credit card, but if financial help is available, I would like to at least give it a try.

Polar Bear

Re: Financial help

Post by Polar Bear »

I don't live in the USA and am unable to give any sort of advice on help with costs/insurance.
Are you yet aware of how much this is going to cost you.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Re: Financial help

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not that I know of. Hope someone else knows of something.

I was unemployed when in a similar situation as you - and unable to work because of the side effects/lack of sleep, etc. I put in on my credit card and flew to So Cal to see Dr. Buchfuhrer. He charged me as a cash patient - much less than the insurance charge. Fortunately I have family and friends there so I could stay with them and not incur any hotel charges. It cost at least $600, if I remember correctly, with the flight and his fees. In the end, I'd do it over a million times because I can now work again.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.