The March email newsletter

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Skippy

The March email newsletter

Post by Skippy »

Does anyone understand what the study mentioned in the newsletter for March means??

ViewsAskew

Re: The March email newsletter

Post by ViewsAskew »

Do you mean the one on hypoxia? Here is a link to the whole article: http://pennstatehersheyneuroreport.org/ ... -syndrome/

That might help.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Thank you, but I did read the report and just don't understand it. I thought someone might be able to explain it in a way I could understand. It seems to be written to other doctors and not to people who have rls.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Got it - here's my take (and it was written for doctors!)

Hypoxia means that not enough oxygen gets to the tissues - and certain conditions (such as sleep onset or being on an airplane) can cause this to happen. They wanted to see if RLS subjects had less oxygen getting to the legs/muscles/tissues compared to folks without RLS in these hypoxic conditions. In the non-RLS folks, the blood flow increased over 7% in hypoxic conditions; but the RLS folks only had a 1% increase. So, ultimately, our bodies are not adjusting for these hypoxic conditions with an increase in blood flow and oxygen, so we appear to not have enough.

A few studies have been done before related to this. In one of them, when people took a dopamine agonist, the oxygenation increased - and they think that is why that class of drugs may work. When we get up and walk around, we automatically increase the oxygenation. But, so far, still circumstantial and not proven to be a cause. More research needs to happen.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

ViewsAskew wrote:Got it - here's my take (and it was written for doctors!)

Hypoxia means that not enough oxygen gets to the tissues - and certain conditions (such as sleep onset or being on an airplane) can cause this to happen. They wanted to see if RLS subjects had less oxygen getting to the legs/muscles/tissues compared to folks without RLS in these hypoxic conditions. In the non-RLS folks, the blood flow increased over 7% in hypoxic conditions; but the RLS folks only had a 1% increase. So, ultimately, our bodies are not adjusting for these hypoxic conditions with an increase in blood flow and oxygen, so we appear to not have enough.

A few studies have been done before related to this. In one of them, when people took a dopamine agonist, the oxygenation increased - and they think that is why that class of drugs may work. When we get up and walk around, we automatically increase the oxygenation. But, so far, still circumstantial and not proven to be a cause. More research needs to happen.

Heck, even I can understand that! Thanks VA.

Wishing all who visit here some peace this night.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Thank you. Makes me wonder if we could breath oxygen and get some sleep.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Makes me wonder if we could breath oxygen and get some sleep.
I have been wondering that for a while. I investigated some oxygen machines online but didn't get any farther than that. These machines are marketed mainly to people who want to improve athletic performance. The price range is huge, from affordable to ridiculously expensive. Some are portable, designed to be used while exercising (EWOT - Exercise With Oxygen Therapy), while others are bigger and designed for use during sleep. I think a lot of the price difference is due to hype and marketing of the EWOT systems, but I didn't check into it enough.

Still, it's something I'd like to pursue. I'm curious whether breathing a higher concentration of oxygen every night for some time would improve or even eliminate WED symptoms. I seem to recall someone on this board years ago getting treatment for his dad somewhere in Europe that involved oxygenating the blood somehow.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If lack of oxygen is also related to PLMS, it could explain why PLMS are prevalent with apnea and seem to go away with treatment.

Managing Your RLS