Are Repeated (Stuck) Thoughts Common In PLMD?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
sleepdancer2

Are Repeated (Stuck) Thoughts Common In PLMD?

Post by sleepdancer2 »

I've mentioned this before but not seen others mention it, but then again, I didn't outright ask. So now I'm asking. :) When my movements were bad, I experienced what I call "stuck thoughts". It was when one phrase, or one line from a song, or one brief scene repeated maddeningly when I was not soundly asleep, yet not quite awake. Is this phenomenon a part of having periodic limb movements, or am I just the (un)lucky one?
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

debbluebird

Re: Are Repeated (Stuck) Thoughts Common In PLMD?

Post by debbluebird »

I've had PLMD for years and have never had that. Sorry

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Are you taking, or were you, a dopamine agonist at this time? One of the many side effects, for me at least, is what I call ADD brain. I have songs that repeat over and over (even in my dreams) - usually a segment of it, not the whole thing. Sometimes I'd have two or three competing songs at the same time - crazy.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Before I started any treatments for RLS (which includes PLMs), I experienced something like what you are describing. I would fall into a low level of sleep but would still be conscious. Either before falling asleep or while in this semi-sleep, my mind would start racing and I would be stuck on one topic. There were nights when the topic was not pleasant and I would have to force myself to wake up completely and then concentrate on changing the topic to something that was either productive or at least a more pleasant thought.

When I discussed RLS with one of my sisters to see if she had inherited it, she said no but then she described her insomnia as something along these lines. I did not get a chance to ask her husband if she has PLMD, but since I believe that our father had severe PLMD and I know that I inherited at least 3 of the 5 RLS genes from him, I would not be surprised to find out that she has it as well.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Interesting. Seems the experiences vary - no surprise there. lol Wonder if it depends on if one is medicated or not. When I look back on it, my mind was worst at this when I was augmenting. It still rears it's ugly head now and then, but not so forcefully.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've always had my mind stick on things - I count in my head ALL the time. It just seems to need something to do, lol. But, augmentation was a completely whole 'nother level of it! And, even now, when I take a DA a few days a week (then stop to prevent augmenting again), I find that just a low dose of pramipexole - .125 mg - is enough to amplify all of that tenfold. Augmentation was 100 fold, I thing, lol.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

I would get like Steve describes, unpleasant topics that I couldn't escape from being within as I was falling asleep. I don't recall that ever happening with pleasant topics, but probably I just don't remember because it was not traumatic. I know this was happening when I was severely sleep-deprived, but I can't remember if it was during DA time. Interesting.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wouldn't ascribe pleasant or unpleasant - they are just unwanted and constant. They are random. They are bizarre. They are mundane. They just don't stop. It's songs mostly, but can be other things, too.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

Mine were scenarios. Not dreams, though.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah - I get those, too. It is like I am storytelling. They feel real - it definitely isn't dreaming, but feels sort of like it. It happens in pre-sleep a lot.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I am a 'counter' as mentioned above by Views.
Especially when emptying the dishwasher...... before I know it I've counted the knives, then the spoons, etc. as I put them away.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:I am a 'counter' as mentioned above by Views.
Especially when emptying the dishwasher...... before I know it I've counted the knives, then the spoons, etc. as I put them away.

Isn't that a strange thing? I count my steps, items being put away, all kinds of strange things. :-) :roll:

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes Ann, count the towels as I put them away, for a time I worried I was becoming compulsive.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wondered about the compulsive aspect, too. Mine seems more to be observational rather than compulsive...how about you?

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I don't have any repetitive needs, or the need for strict order - it's just counting and that is not always, although quite frequent.
It's not something that I 'need' to do - I just sometimes realise that I am doing it :)
Betty