How to overcome eating to cope

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Rcure

How to overcome eating to cope

Post by Rcure »

I'm wondering if anyone else is going through this, I've lost 147 pounds in the last 2 years since then my rls has become unbearable and I have resorted to coping with food. Since starting treatment for rls I have been able to be more physically active which helps but find I'm using food to cope with the discomfort/pain.

Is there anyone else with this experience that would be able to share some advise?

ViewsAskew

Re: How to overcome eating to cope

Post by ViewsAskew »

I do the same. The best I can do is keep carrot sticks, celery sticks, lots of fresh fruit, etc. available. Even if I occasionally choose something more caloric, the vast majority of the time it's been both healthy and low calorie. I also keep nuts on hand when I want something with more fat that will fill me up a bit better.

I also will set time limits for myself. If I want something, I tell myself that to walk away for 15 minutes then I can have something. Sometimes I can keep myself from eating something for an hour or more because I got involved in something else and forgot to come back in 15 minutes.

The last thing I do is tell myself to talk it out. I sit in another room and ask why I want it so much. I often realize it comes down to feeling sorry for myself or wanting to feel "good" in the short term because things are so bad with my legs. Just admitting why, sometimes, can help me let go of the feeling and the desire for food.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I find myself grazing for food but always during the night.... up and about, something to do that I enjoy !!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Neupro and other DA's can cause compulsive eating.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Holland is right - and I've had that happen (no fun!). I also eat from the despair/anxiety of untreated symptoms - of being up and feeling crappy. Food takes my mind off of it and sort of soothes my brain.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I find that I have probably been eating a bit more for the last year or so, but not because of reasons listed above. I had to add an extra meal each day simply because when I was only sleeping for 3 or 4 hrs each night, I was that much more active because I was awake and moving around rather than sleeping in bed. Therefore I needed the extra meal. There was also the issue that it gave me a way to kill about an hour each night when I was bored and was the only one around who was awake. My wife usually sleeps from 10 to 12 hrs a night, so I basically had an extra 8 hrs each day to fill.
Steve

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

When taking these meds, I find myself to be hungry all the time. The first time, I didn't realize it was the meds. I was taking three that made me feel hungry. I gained 100 pounds over time. I didn't know what the heck was happening.
It was years later after discovering this board that I found out what was happening to me. I've been able to lose 55 pounds of it, but can't seem to go lower. Plus now I am back on two of the meds. Now I am trying to be more careful, but it isn't working out very well.
Maybe it doesn't affect some people as bad as me.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I try to keep a tray of devilled eggs in the refrigerator. Just one at night (which is half an egg) usually immediately kills the hunger. I think it's the combination of protein and fat in the egg. I use my mother-in-law's recipe, which is the only way I can eat devilled eggs: Peel the hard boiled eggs and scoop out the yoke. Mix the yoke with a little mayonnaise, mustard, and crumbled up bacon, salt and pepper, and then put that filling back in the egg pocket.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Just adding my thoughts to what's already been said. The possible side effect of compulsive behaviors on dopamine agonists is very real. Been through that one. Read recently that Abilify is now said to have that risk, and who knows how many other meds. Any conditions that interfere with healthy quantity or quality of sleep can cause dysfunction of the appetite hormones. The results is always feeling hungry and never feeling full. Improving sleep should help, don't know to what degree. Another thing is that when the body is tired there's an almost desperate need for energy. Desiring food can be born out of tiredness. Those with poor sleep are fighting an uphill battle. I don't have the answers, as I have not conquered this completely, but it did greatly improve along with my sleep getting better and going off the offending meds. Knowledge and understanding helped me to sort thought the desires instead of feeling at the mercy of mysterious compulsions. It helped me to know I'm not a "bad" person for wanting to eat, and that there are physical things going on.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

This time around I'm hoping for a better outcome, since I'm aware of what it is doing to me. I am exercising a lot. I have gained five pounds, but it's been almost a month and I feel that is pretty good. Since I know my intake has increased. They reduce my ability to feel full. So I tend to eat too much at one meal. I have to keep reminding myself of that when I eat.

Rcure

Post by Rcure »

Thanks for all the imput.

I do believe my problem may be lack of quality of sleep, I need to see my dr again to so what he can suggest to help this. Fatigue has become a major issue for me and has effected othere aspects of my life so it would only make sense that it could effect this to

67java89

Post by 67java89 »

I sympathize. The first summer I had RLS I gained almost 20 lbs and my cholesterol shot up. I was up all night eating everything that was bad for me because I couldn't sleep/sit still. The only thing that could keep me from eating was taking the dog out for a walk or taking a bath.
Sleep is a basic need.

CarlaB

Post by CarlaB »

I was doing the same, especially night eating to cope. I finally decided this summer to join Weightwatchers to help lose the extra 20 lbs. Now I save my points for guilt-free night munching and substitute healthier options. Or, will take night time jacuzzis and read a book to distract myself. Anyway, you are not alone with this.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I could do with losing about 20 lbs, my downfall during the night is...... crunchy nut cornflakes. Anyone else would have a small ladylike portion in a little bowl but oh no, not me!!
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation