foods and health

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
captgene

foods and health

Post by captgene »

have ya'll noticed folks would rather go to a doctor than change their diet ?

ViewsAskew

In relation to. . .

Post by ViewsAskew »

Gene, did you have something in mind specifically?

In general terms, this is a complicated issue for me. Food is tied into our emotions and our brain chemistry and our memories. Some of us find it easier to do than others to limit or change intake while others just seem to have a hard time with food - through chemistry and behavioral conditioning, we have a hard time convincing ourselves not to have a particular thing or to realize that food is just fuel. And then there is education - some of us don't know what the alternatives are or that food or supplements could make a difference. And many doctors won't tell you that! Some things can't be fixed by diet, either.

I do agree that people, in the US at least, often appear to want a quick fix that doesn't require too much work. But certainly not all of us. Many people on this board (and others I post on) look for the natural remedies first; some won't use drugs at all. I know I tried everything I could before I used meds. I've had RLS and PLMD for over 30 years, but no matter what I did, the PLMD just got worse and worse until I was a walking zombie.

Ann

Post by Guest »

I really doubt most doctors , methodone and most heavy drugs are a clueless fix and they steal your soul with each pill. To try and fail to self heal is tuff row to hoe also , but share ideas and one day maybe ...

wendy

Post by wendy »

It sounds like "guest" hasn't experienced the torture of having to pace the floor at 3am, exhausted and in pain, listening to the rest of the house sleep, and knowing that you have to be at work in 5 hours, and that a nap after work just begins the hellish cycle of trying to rest only to have IT start again. If a pill can give me relief and rest I'll sell my soul.
wendy

captgenefl

Post by captgenefl »

Wendy

I have had gout for over ten years and been in a wheel chair for months , and when i was younger i raced moto cross and cars and had several compound fractures , i know pain and have spent several weeks in a burn unit from car racing , i know pain. Point is sometimes no one knows what to do so you have to get better one step at a time or rely on heavy drugs and just get by , but drugs makes it all worse sometimes in the end.

becat

Hi Capt.

Post by becat »

Capt., I read your post last night and started to answer, but had to really think about it. I'm sure we all wish that it was possible for us to heal ourselves with a natural approach.
I'm with Ann, it's not that we want to be on medications, nor that we don't want to try the natural way. Many of us are past that point in our progression of this disorder.
I am 41 yrs. old and RLS is my first memory in life. 3-4 yrs. old filling my own hot water bottles in the middle of the night. Mine is a painful form and over the course of 37-38 yrs. I did my best to fix things the way I was raised to. Vitamins, herbs, alternative medicines in any form. Massage, biofeedback, reflexology.....you name my family knows and uses it.
There are truely some of us that need help, by way of medications to live a normal, close to normal day.
Our Jan, once told me that no one should compare pain, it's a great comment. I can't feel yours, I could empathize, but may never understand. You sound like you have a high tolerance with all you've gone through. I'm judging that a good many of us have high pain tolerances. I know for me after miagranes, child birth, and RLS I have a pretty good tolerance. However, after so long with sleep deprivation and chronic pain, I feared for my life. Not by my own hands, but simply because my body was failing me. Things were starting to shut down on their own. At 40, I did not believe I would see 45......
Mine became a Quality of Life issue, not only for me, but for those that loved me. I wanted a life, I knew I would have to fight for it. I got medications to improve what I have. Guest, nothing has been stolen from me, I gained what I was missing. If I lived to be a 100 and was in pain, not able to walk, not able to sleep.....what did I really gain? Most of us know the true side effect of medications is somewhere down the road, probably less than pretty.
But never under estimate the power of one's ability to heal thyself and live a good life, even on medications. In Sept. it will be one yr on pain medication and sleep aids. I', walking a mile every night. I get sleep most of the time. I'm not taking enough to zero out the pain, just enough to manage the pain. I'm involved with my family and friends again. I have a life that counts. Before I just tried to make it through each day best I could.
Medication is a personal choice. We can't compare pain or suffering, it simply doesn't work. I happy for anyone that doesn't have to take medications, but for those that do, I'm happy if they find something that helps them.
Quality of Life is a right for all. Everyone has a different way of finding theirs.

Post by Guest »

Hey becat

I was trying to say that if folks take pain pills or other meds. it is fine with me , that is what they are for, if you need them and they help, great. But when they wear off you are still right back from where you started or sometimes worse. If you do not look for a cure or other treatments soon most folks will just rely on pills. I know of one person who has been down that road , me. One day when I was too doped up to go fishing I decided it was time to find a better way to deal with pain so I could do things I enjoyed rather than take pills and sit at home. It took years to get to a point where I could work again and do what most folks could or more.

I think RLS is kinda becoming like Arthritis was years ago , no matter what you had when you went to the doctor , it was Arthristis or a cold or just a bug. Now when test come back negative for Arth. the doctors say well might be gout or RLS.

I guess what I'm trying to say is folks can have more than one medical problem at a time and many times several things that make them ill. But a poor diet and no sleep can make minor problems into major ones. I wish I could tell folks to do this or that and they would be OK but I can not. But I do know that you need a good diet and an open mind to heal.

Captgene

Kris

Post by Kris »

I can just say that I tried the soap thing - but that night mine was as bad or worse than ever. I left that soap there for over a week - I couldn't tell a bit of difference.

I take multi-vitamins with extra sublingual B, cook in iron frying pans, take flax seed oil. Have tried kava kava and valarian root - nothing seems to affect my RLS.

I am caffiene, nutrasweet - soda free. I do eat bread and pasta sometimes but not that often.

I'm convinced that there is RLS, then there is severe RLS and none of the literature really makes a difference or draws a line. I've had just occasional annoying RLS and I can see where people can eat something or do something and experience a break - mine USED to be intermittant - and they may think Oh, this xyz really helped my RLS.

No no no no no - something HAPPENED to my RLS a while back and it turned into a monster. MIRAPEX and sometimes a bit of Lorcet if needed helps my RLS.

To be honest, all these common 'cures' tick me off a bit. I need this problem taken very seriously. Its NOT all in my mind and the 'placebos' are just not working for me. I suspect that I am NOT the only one that feels this way, because splattered here and there on the Internet are other people in absolute agony with this. Not annoying kicky restless-ness, but bad pain. I've seen it on these boards too.

I talk to people and say my terrible pain is caused my RLS - and they say "I've had restless legs too, everyone does that sometimes. They have a name for everything now." Restless annoying RLS sometimes was me in my twenties.

I tell you this - NOT everyone does this. Most of my life was not like this, even though I know I did have RLS then too. I've wanted to shoot myself over this in the last year.

becat

HI Kris

Post by becat »

Hi Kris.
I honestly believe you. I've lived with RLS all my life. Mine is painful as well. It is a serious subject for so many of us.
But when peope that like Capt give us an idea, it's really ok. I've tried many things to find relief. I like the soap in my bed, not sure it does anything but it's a cheap thing to try. I like watermelon so I'm still good there. Capt. brought this to our attention wiht a good heart. It's easy to tell the difference when it's not meant that way. Capt. is still in good standing with me.
I hope there are tons of ideas that come across this board. You never know what is going to work for someone. The more ideas we have to pick from the better. We have several that don't use medications yet. But for those that are, my bet is we might try things, but we're taking those meds. along with them.
My personal favorite thing I hear is "ooo you have that shaky legs thing" hmmm, well it's called RLS, but ok. Your right, this is a big deal to us. We do need some serious help with this disorder. What we are missing is We're doing that as well around here.
I thank you for the Quality of Life statement, may I use it in Nov. as part of my packet for the National Meeting?We giving the docs and reseachers the real faces of RLS.
We also support a certain research project and I'll give you the web address for that:
http://www.thomasholly.net/survey/rlssurveystart.aspx
It feels good to think that we can help shape the future of our treatment. And eat a little watermelon as well.
Hugs and hang in the Kris.

captgenefl

Post by captgenefl »

Hey Kris ,

Sorry you are suffering . But a few years ago and for a ten year period, I had gout so bad I was in a wheel chair and I too thought my time was about up, the doctors could do little to help me but in time I ran into a doctors' asst. that gave me Prednizone and in a few weeks I was walking again. Why I brought this up is because when I had gout if I ate pork or peanuts or drank alcohol , my gout went from bad to a living hell , I learned the hard way that simple foods can make a difference. There are hundreds of things that can make gout worse , but very few things that make it better. After my gout attacks stopped I was left with RLS like leg pain and in my case it would seem the gout and RLS are somehow related. When my gout was bad I did not sleep for 4 or 5 days in a row and the pain in my knees was so bad I could not lay a sheet on my knees because of the pain. So what I'm trying to say even if simple foods do not help , some may make your RLS worse.

I found by dumb luck while eating a plate of tomatoes my legs felt better, as they did when I ate watermelon , last week I tried blueberries and a iron pill and it took a few days to work but I slept like a rock the last few days. These foods might not help everyone but they are pretty safe to try. I read from other post that artifical sweetners are bad for some folks RLS and I need to cut out the diet soda myself.

Kris I have had the hopeless feeling it sounds like you are feeling now, but never give up , keep notes, talk to folks and Doc's , hell try the foods I mentioned , heck you have to eat anyways. My doc said leg pains are very common and there is big money in a cure or help , so it will not be long before more help for RLS is found.

Captgene

Kris

Post by Kris »

Yes please feel free to use it.

I already eat a lot of watermelon and tomatoes. We have a ton of tomatoes in our garden, if I could give you guys some I would. We planted way too much.

Please don't misunderstand me. I just mean that I really think this problem is so variable and that's not adequately addressed in literature. For years I did not need medication, just watching my caffiene and what I did late at night helped, as did very hot baths and chamomile tea.

I use wax baths with my left hand and my feet alot and I get a lot of relief from that early in the day when it is very bad.

I just want to see severe RLS get serious scientific attention - not only for myself, but for my son- he is 9 and already having a hard time at night. I am very worried about him.

Kris

Post by Kris »

captgenefl-

Be very prepared if you cut out sodas - not saying you will be like me - but when I quit nutrasweet I had SEVERE RLS for about a month - AND actual involuntary tremors.

It is worth it to come off it, it is pure poison, but you might want to make sure your doctor is prepared to help you if needed.

I didn't know I had RLS at that point. I was having RLS very bad at that time, and wanting to try to diet. OMG though, it was an awful, awful month. I am suprised I did not get fired. I was a walking zombie mess.

Kris

Post by Kris »

becat - I tried to take that survey but it kept giving me page 7 over and over and over again?? The rest of it had worked ok.

becat

Hi

Post by becat »

Hi Kris,
Yes, thank you for the support on the survey. Jumpyowl was on today, hopefully he saw your message and is fixing it.
Tomatoes didn't do a thing in my garden this year. I'd take your mators and suffer happily. I'll PM you a recipe that you could use.
And your right, research will have to catch up with all of us. RLS in children is one of the things I hope is being pushed. However, it's not likely that most of us would give our children most of what we take. Thankfully my son is mild and no pain.
Sadly, since there is no one cure fits all, I think that has to boggle the researchers minds as to how to approach this on a bigger scale. We're getting somewhere. RLS commerical on prime time TV tonight.

captgenefl

Post by captgenefl »

On the soda thing, it might be better to cut back slowly for me then , because in Florida with the heat I drink alota soda. I have to put on a new roof here so I'll be sore as heck anyway .

Folks here sure have helped me get by and I would like to thank'm all for their ideas and help. Whenever I get feeling really bad I think of the perfectly healthy men and women that become disabled through war and car accidents and whatever , and they manage to keep going on with life , so I can too.

Another veggie thing to try is hot peppers , best to grow some mild ones at first and remove the seeds and save'm to replant and slow cook peppers, the hot burn makes the brain send endorphins to stop pain because your mouth is on fire. I like to slow cook peppers in smoker grill then put a little sour cream and cheeze on'm . Or you can make a hot n sweet relish and top a burger with'm. The trick is to learn to make it very mild at first then after a while of getting use to it, make it hotter. Or just buy some hot sause , it is cheap. But freash is best. I use to hate hot peppers , now I love'm.