Got my ferritin levels checked

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Rcure

Got my ferritin levels checked

Post by Rcure »

I Got my ferritin levels checked and my dr wasn't in to give me my results but the receptionist was nice enough to it was told my ferritin is 211.

It's much higher then the numbers I read on here.

I still need to see my dr but can anyone try and give me a little insight to this number?

Thanks

Rustsmith

Re: Got my ferritin levels checked

Post by Rustsmith »

I number of 211 is pretty good. It indicates that you are high enough that you are less likely to be susceptible to augmentation. However, it does not mean that you will not augment on a dopamine agonist (I augmented with numbers around 250). Many RLS patients work very hard to get their numbers up to 100.

Have you been taking an iron supplement?

As for what is the correct number, that varies from individual to individual. We see people with numbers as low as 6, they need to get higher. There have also been individuals with numbers around 100 who saw an improvement by increasing their number to near 300 with supplements or IVs. Above 300, you would need to be careful and work with your doctor to insure that you do not develop hemochromatosis, a condition to too much iron that can cause damage to various organs of the body.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

It also means intravenous iron infusion therapy will probably not help your symptoms.
Blessings,
Holland

Rcure

Post by Rcure »

No iron supplements

Rcure

Post by Rcure »

All natural lol..

I eat a lot of meat, I try to limit my carb intake religiosity