Study on Placebo Effect for RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
jul2873

Study on Placebo Effect for RLS

Post by jul2873 »

Interesting article. Be sure to read the comments. You have to sign in to Medscape but there is no charge: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/865627

Mary

Rustsmith

Re: Study on Placebo Effect for RLS

Post by Rustsmith »

jul2873 said:
Be sure to read the comments.

Mary, by comments are you referring to the comments made by Dr Klepitskaya, or are you seeing something at the bottom of the article that I am missing?
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

At the top left of the 1st page, right under the title, is a link that says "comments." I think there is also a link at the end of the article.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Sorry, but I just do not see it. I see where I can send comments on the article, but not anything else.

Could you provide us with a link to the comments page?
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

A different URL doesn't come up. I'll try to paste them below:

Dr. Tareq burgan| Internal Medicine 19 hours ago
So vague the study is , to the degree that one becomes confused as what is the message they are trying to send !!

I was trying to look for what drugs they used as placebo but in vain !

I was very interested in this subject to see if i can get a practical point to help patients ,but it seems that the authors insinuate to to stop the effective medication and start placebo , but what placebo ???!!!!

Waste of time to read such useless articles .!

Ronald Morehouse| Physician Assistant 2 days ago
What is New:

All studies have shown a placebo effect for improvement on as many as 20% and more of the subjects.

1Like
Dr. Deborah Proctor| Internal Medicine 2 days ago
Would have been a much better article if not so vague. What medications were tested etc. It does bring up one big question regarding dopamine and placebo. If the effect is so pronounced here, then can we infer that all drugs affecting dopamine are also subject to a huge placebo effect? What's the impact on all the antidepressants involving the same mechanism. Should we be using sugar pills instead?

2Like
JK Lenehan| Other Healthcare Provider 10 hours ago
Parkinson's is effected to some degree by placebo but the effects are short lived. The reaction matters little unless you can sustain it.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Thanks.

Seems to me that several of the individuals providing comments did not read the article very closely. The article reported on a review of data from a huge number of other studies, yet the comments seemed to expect that the paper was reporting on a single clinical trial. Describing the results as vague and asking for details tells me they did not read what was written and simply skimmed the report.
Steve