Arthritis and RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
jul2873

Arthritis and RLS

Post by jul2873 »

For the last six months or so, I have been getting a good deal of pain in one of my knees. At first I thought it was just another manifestation of RLS, since sometimes mine presents as aching as well as squirmy. But the pain kept getting worse, so finally I went to an orthopedic doctor, who said I had mild arthritis, drained the fluid from my knee, gave me a cortisone shot and a prescription for Meloxicam. Well! This has made a huge difference. I have almost no pain now, and even the RLS symptoms are much better. I don't know if the arthritic pain was causing the RLS symptoms to flare, or if a good deal of what I thought was RLS was really from the arthritis.

At any rate, I thought I'd post about this, in case there are any others on this board who are experiencing the same thing. So if you are experiencing pain, I would definitely get it looked at. It might be treatable, and it might help with your RLS symptoms as well.

Polar Bear

Re: Arthritis and RLS

Post by Polar Bear »

I'm so glad that you are feeling very much better.

I also have arthritis (osteoarthritis) in knees and hips, shoulder, back.
Sometimes my thighs ache but I don't think it's part of my rls symptoms, rather just tiredness/arthritis from having to go walkabout when lack of sleep dictates I should be in my bed. Often inbuprofen will help my hips/thighs.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Glad you are feeling better!

In some ways, I feel lucky (yeah, I said it) to have the creepy-crawly RLS. I can't imagine how hard it is to distinguish the painful kind from other issues - from arthritis to neuropathy.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Polar Bear, ibuprofen helped me as well, but the combination of draining the fluid, the cortisone shot, and the Meloxicam did so much more than the Advil ever did, and I think the Meloxicam is easier on my stomach. I don't know if you have as easy an access to a good orthopaedic doctor as I'm lucky enough to have, but if you do, I do encourage you to see if he can help you. I rarely go to doctors, and was depending solely on kratom to manage my pain and RLS symptoms, but I am very happy I went to see this doctor. It sounds like you must be having a good deal of pain. I hope you can find someone to help with the arthritic pain at least. Best to you . .. .

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

jul2873 - Here in UK we are fortunate that healthcare is free, on the other hand waiting lists are horrendous. Access to a good orthopaedic doctor involves a referral from a GP and then the waiting list, currently around 2 years. !! Unless we take the private route and pay all out of pocket.

Two years ago my GP arranged hip xrays which showed osteoarthritis and degenerative change, but nothing he felt meriting further action. Eventually he (my GP) considered I might have bursitis and I got a cortisone injection at the worst hip which certainly helped for some time, months.

Yes, the ibuprofen helps and I do take it but this is against the advice of my GP who would prefer I don't take it. This is because I have a gastric issue discovered following an event where it was thought I was having a heart attack.

During the night I am either awake, or awaking often because of insomnia. And apart from that, sometimes just need to get up and move because my hips are sore and need a bit of a jiggle and stretch. Often I don't sleep until around 3 or 4am, have a couple of 2 hour stretches. It's easy to think that I can lie on in the morning because I'm retired, but...... occasional morning twitchy legs, sore hips.......

However, I suffer much less than many of our members.
And you've made me think, perhaps a doctor's visit to discuss another cortisone injection may be in order.

Thank you for thinking of me and I hope you remain relatively pain free for as long as possible :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

In New Zealand, like the UK, our health care is "free" but I prefer saying it is paid for by the taxpayer. Emergency care is first class but "quality of life" care such as joint replacements, heart and hernia procedures can take a long long time.