Two hours of sleep

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debbluebird

Re: Two hours of sleep

Post by debbluebird »

I finally have an appt to see a doctor for the PLMs, tomorrow. Who know, will see what she says. It hasn't been as bad lately.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Deb - good luck at your appointment tomorrow
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Let us know.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I saw two doctors today. First was the physical medicine doctor. She ordered an MRI if my spine and PT. She thinks I have a pinched nerve. She was very well informed with RLS, my leg spasms, as well as the drugs. I liked her.
Then I saw my Bipap doctor. He offered me three things.
First, Sinemet, which I would only use occasionally when I'm really bad, not replacing my methadone. I also know what it is and how it affects people. I just wanted to try, so he can say to my insurance I have tried everything.
Next, the implant for sleep apnea. I have to lose 25 more pounds. I have already lost the 20 I had gained from last year, going off methadone. The weight just seems to be coming off now, since eating better. I don't count anything.
Third, a device called a restiffic. It goes on the foot and targets the muscles in the legs.
So, that's about it for now. Will see what happens.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hope the insurance covers what you need to try.

My brother had a back issue that mimicked RLS. It was when he arm went numb that they found the real culprit. Even though he had RLS, he wasn't able to tell it apart.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

deb - well done on losing your 20lbs.
If you do a search at the top right on 'restiffic' it brings up many posts. You may already have seen these posts.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yes, I read about the restiffic. Thanks
I will keep you all posted.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I was wrong about my diuretic causing me any trouble with my legs. It was just a bad period. I always want to find a reason. Must stop doing that. I have increased the diuretic without issue.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:I was wrong about my diuretic causing me any trouble with my legs. It was just a bad period. I always want to find a reason. Must stop doing that. I have increased the diuretic without issue.

I think we all do it - or at the very least try to! I read a few years ago that our brains are adapted to find meaning in things. So we do. It just is that what we decide is accurate or truth rarely is! And, we do not see it. It is similar to confirmation bias, but to me it is even worse because we make stuff up!

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

Ann wrote:debbluebird wrote:
I was wrong about my diuretic causing me any trouble with my legs. It was just a bad period. I always want to find a reason. Must stop doing that. I have increased the diuretic without issue.

I think we all do it - or at the very least try to! I read a few years ago that our brains are adapted to find meaning in things. So we do. It just is that what we decide is accurate or truth rarely is! And, we do not see it. It is similar to confirmation bias, but to me it is even worse because we make stuff up!

I don't want to give it up entirely, that habit of looking for reasons, because sometimes we hit on a truth with our endless questing. I don't want to miss the answer because I've given up looking! We just have to be critical of our conclusions, aware of our tendencies to assign cause where there may be none. Like Deb, we may fool ourselves for a time, but not for long.

deb wrote:First, Sinemet, which I would only use occasionally when I'm really bad, not replacing my methadone. I also know what it is and how it affects people. I just wanted to try, so he can say to my insurance I have tried everything.
You might find the Sinemet very useful. I use it for "breakthrough", and it's been a godsend. I have to regulate it carefully, but once you've made up some rules for yourself, you just follow them - suffer the nights you can't use it, so that you can still benefit on the nights you can. My personal regimen is to use it maximum 4 nights a week, never more than two nights in a row. The particulars have changed over the years - for instance, I recently used to take it up to 3 nights in a row, but then I had to take 3 nights off. Stuff like that. I just make it up, because there is nothing else to go by, no way to know how much will cause augmentation (or some other harm).

If the Restiffic doesn't work, get him to prescribe the Relaxis pad. It's wonderful that both doctors are trying things for you, and seem to be informed!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:
Ann wrote:

I don't want to give it up entirely, that habit of looking for reasons, because sometimes we hit on a truth with our endless questing. I don't want to miss the answer because I've given up looking! We just have to be critical of our conclusions, aware of our tendencies to assign cause where there may be none. Like Deb, we may fool ourselves for a time, but not for long.

Vetting our conclusions is essential in this process. I sometimes, though, want to do it less frequently because it keeps me from being peaceful at times - my brain can be the proverbial dog with a bone or curious cat.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Beth, thanks for the tips. That's pretty much what I thought I would do. Try some, then, take days off. I wasn't even going to take it more than once every few days, but like you, I'm going to be careful and test the waters. Thanks

badnights

Post by badnights »

Hope it helps some.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I realized something tonight. This summer we have been very active, working in the yard and around the house. It's what we do most summers. Last summer we were limited due to the forest fire, smoke in the air. I've done fairly well this summer. I think I've only a few nights of a really bad time. Today I had to sit and or stand for about 3 hours. It was our quilt show. I volunteered to sell raffle tickets. So tonight, I can't even go to bed. I'm tired, and wanted to try by 10:30 pm, but my leg won't allow it.
I have sort of been thinking a long these lines in the last year. I'm have stopped sewing for long periods of time, etc. It's the sitting. What a pain. I can sit in the recliner with my feet up all day. That's never a problem. It just really hit home tonight, after having a good night last night without symptoms, and the opposite tonight. Of course, if we go in the car all day, I try to have my legs stretched out and if I babysit, I have a harder night. I think again it's the sitting and lifting the baby.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

The Carb/Levi is working for my bad nights.