Two hours of sleep

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debbluebird

Re: Two hours of sleep

Post by debbluebird »

badnights wrote:Deb, do you think the leg jerks could be periodic limb movements during sleep and wakefulness?

They might be, but I can get them when wide awake.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

debs - that's unfortunate that you can't take the Lyrica. I went through a spell about 12 years ago when I had horrible burning on my feet. Didn't even know about lyrica etc. It lasted for a few months and then there came a time when it just didn't happen - and I don't know why.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

Deb I don't remember your medication history. The reason you went on methadone in the first place - was that because you had augmented on DAs? I'm just wondering if the PLMS and PLMW are a bigger problem than the RLS right now. Also the possible neuropathy that causes the burning feet, but I'm thinking more about the PLM's right now. Maybe you need a combination therapy with a bit of a DA to keep the periodic leg movements down?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Deb, periodic limb movements can occur when you are awake - called PLMW - periodic limb movements during wakefulness.

Beth has a good points; the opioids do not control PLMS very well. DAs do. But, that doesn't mean you can take them based on your history!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Oh, ok. I wasn't sure. I used to think they were PLMs, but then the thigh just kept getting worse, involving more of the thigh, lasting longer and weaker. You are probably right. Anyway you look at them, they are getting worse. At some point I may have to make some changes.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

badnights wrote:Deb I don't remember your medication history. The reason you went on methadone in the first place - was that because you had augmented on DAs? I'm just wondering if the PLMS and PLMW are a bigger problem than the RLS right now. Also the possible neuropathy that causes the burning feet, but I'm thinking more about the PLM's right now. Maybe you need a combination therapy with a bit of a DA to keep the periodic leg movements down?

Yes, I augmented very badly on mirapex. Yes, the PLMW are the biggest problem. No burning feet, just burning thigh.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I just remembered, that the last time I took mirapex my sleep went down to 2 to 4 hours and I put on 20 pounds. That was last summer. The worst part was being awake, becoming so exhausted, I couldn't function.

badnights

Post by badnights »

You were taking Mirapex alone then, right? I wonder if a small dose of ... maybe ropinirole, something you haven't augmented on ... combined with your methadone, I wonder if that would control the PLMs better with the ropinirole, while still controlling the RLS/WED with the methadone?
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I've taken ropinirole. I was taking Gabapentin with the mirapex the last time.
I don't know.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

badnights wrote:Opioids don't help PLMs which might explain why you're still exhausted.

They have totally helped me with PLMS. But the effect is wearing off after a few months, tolerance I guess. Took 5 mg norco, alternated with 50 or 75 mg tramadol every few nights. Both were very helpful.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Opioids do reduce the PLMS for me...but not as effectively as the DAs did. But, I do not awaken most of the time, even though I have them. With PLMS, it is the awakenings that matter, as I understand it.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

yawny

Post by yawny »

Has anyone tried Baclofen for PLMS? Leggo?

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

With the meds for limb movements, it became important for me to ask if the med was intended to help me sleep through the movements or lessen the movements. Continuity of sleep is one issue. Allowing the leg muscles to have time of quiet for tissues to rest and restore is another. Even when a med allowed me to get more sleep, if my legs were still moving my condition continued to deteriorate to the point I didn't have the leg strength to climb stairs or even walk more than a few feet without resting.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Of all the things I have tried, my best option is always a teeny bit of a DA with an opioid. Together they stop BOTH the RLS and the PLMS, allow me deep sleep, and keep me from too many side effects. Alone, neither one works as well or adds unwanted side effects and I am always tired. When I add some kratom, I fall asleep quickly and stay asleep for about 6-7 hours before I start having awakenings. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Finding that magic combo (or singular medication for some) is often difficult, though. Took me years.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

Deb's very tired legs sound just like sleepdancer's very tired legs. Deb I think you need to get your doctor to think about treating the PLMS as well as the RLS.