Two hours of sleep

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
leggo_my_legs

Re: Two hours of sleep

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Awesome!!! That's hard work, too. Good for you!

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Last night I had mild symptoms, but my back has been hurting more. We are doing work that is not good for my back. We are putting in raised beds for a garden, for veggies, etc.
Have lost most of the weight that I gained last summer when they made me go off methadone.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'd like to try an antidepressant. I've taken them before, but been afraid to restart one. I get very depressed in the winter. I've read some of the posts regarding antidepressants. Just don't know which one to try. I've fought depression my whole life.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Deb - the problem is that none of them work for all of us. I've read that escitalopram is the one most likely to work (based on studies). It is what I would try first. I used it last year and it did improve my mood. But, if winter is an ongoing problem, I would look into light-supplementation.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I take a very tiny 10mg dose of Citalopram and am not aware that it causes me any difficulties.

I would agree that if it's a regular winter occurrence it sounds like SAD disease and light supplementation is worth considering.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Ok, thanks
It is sunny here in the winter, but of course I don't go out, but about twice a week. One of my friends got a light thing, but it still hit her last winter.
On another topic, I think my right knee replacement might be starting to fail. Very swollen. I thought I had all joints recently checked, but it was just the shoulder. Hips and knees aren't due until next year, but if this doesn't resolve I will get it checked sooner.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yikes on the knee replacement!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I just got back from being at my daughter's house for two weeks. When I'm there, it is very difficult to stay on my no sugar, no additive, no flour, etc diet. Needless to say, my legs got bad the last week I was there. Then Last night at home, back to no symptoms. I will see if tonight is good too. Don't know how long it will take to detox again.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It is very hard to stay on such a diet around other people - at least for me! I wonder how much elevation affects your symptoms.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I feel like all of you are my friends and I wanted to give you the news.
My son in law has esophageal cancer. He's only 45 years old. Next week will be his 5th week of chemo and radiation. Then he will rest his body, and then have surgery. It is a nightmare. He's lost at least 25 pounds, of which he didn't need to lose. He can't eat. They placed a feeding tube just below the stomach. I might be going back after the surgery. I'm the back up person. My daughter will need someone with her at the hospital, 2 hours away and someone to stay with the kids.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

OH, Deb - that is devastating news. When will he have the surgery? How are you feeling - are you up to this?

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Deb - I'm so sorry.
Often we forget that behind our reason for being on our discussion board, the awfulness of other life crisis' goes on.
I hope you will find the strength to get through this. It's amazing what we manage for our families.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

ViewsAskew wrote:OH, Deb - that is devastating news. When will he have the surgery? How are you feeling - are you up to this?

He will probably have the surgery the first part of August. When I went on the 13th of June, she called the afternoon before and I flew out the next morning. He was only supposed to be in the hospital two days, and stayed a week. He got an ileus. The doctor said that it will probably happen again. She just couldn't keep asking friends to help all that time. So they are planning ahead. There is no family there, only a few friends. The ones planning to go for the surgery are from out of town.
I was talking to another relative who knows someone going through the same thing. After his chemo, radiation and surgery, he then had another round of chemo and radiation. He has a chance, but it's such a bad cancer.
I just took extra meds when my legs were bad. The hardest part for me was getting up so early for the kids. I'm used to staying in bed until 10 or later. I had to be up by 6:45 the first week. Then after things settled down, I could get up at 8, but that was still hard. We wanted to keep the kids lives as normal as possible.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

They are so lucky you can help. I hear you on the early part - I took care of my two nieces - at the time 2 and 6 - when my sister had complications in a pregnancy and was in the hospital for two weeks. Getting up and cooking breakfast, etc. at 7 AM is NOT my idea of a good time!

I hope he responds well.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

Oh gee. What a terrible thing to be happening. You're needed, clearly. But do be careful not to expect yourself to be superwoman. Is it possible for you and your daughter to somehow arrange for one day a week when you can sleep in?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.