Bad News

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Re: Bad News

Post by ViewsAskew »

Good news!

Long ago, when I first joined this board (and several others), I remember seeing posts from a woman who lived in Florida. Her doc had her switch between ropinerole and pramipexole at the FIRST sign of loss of effectiveness. She had done this for years. I always wondered how this worked since they seem quite similar - though they do work on slightly different receptors.

At any rate, seems that switching immediately is the key. Before it gets entrenched. And, even if it is not the true beginning of augmentation, nothing really lost by switching.

If I could get, say, 3-4 months of good coverage by using the two together, then spend a week or two using only methadone, then back to together, that seems pretty darn good. When I first started switching - back in 2007 - I switched ever day. Then every other. I originally thought to switch more frequently to ensure I did not augment. I am less afraid now. If it happens before the arbitrary cut off, then I switch. If I make it, great. And, maybe, just maybe, all the switching will prevent tolerance even if I to not stop the methadone completely - using varying amounts may keep my body from expecting the same amount. Just a theory...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I think you might be right. Keep on switching !!!

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Our doctor stood up to the doctor who controls our clinic. She told him, if he were to stop her from prescribing opioid across the board, it would be a mistake. She told him that she had patients, who were funuctioning fairly well, caring for themselves, etc. She told him, that one would end up in bed, needing care (my husband) and the other one in worse shape or dead (me). Neither one would be able to function on their own.
What a relief. She told my husband that she would continue to help us until the feds stopped her.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

That is great news. If only we had more doctors like yours with the backbone to stand up to the administrators and policy makers who are trying to tell them how to handle their patients!
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thank goodness some docs are willing to do what yours did!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

That's how we want our doctors to give support !!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yes, she is good. She doesn't totally understand my legs, but is willing.