Sequential compression device/air leg massager

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Taco Bill

Sequential compression device/air leg massager

Post by Taco Bill »

I bought a pair of leg massagers on Amazon about a month ago. I think they are definitely worth it. I was able to take a nap using them, which is something I haven't be able to do for years without medication. However, when it's really bad they kind of make it worse, especially if I use the highest setting. I've been experimenting with the settings and how long I use them. I read about one study where people had overall positive results. It's not a panacea, but definitely a nice tool to have in the box. I would like to try a medical grade one.

ViewsAskew

Re: Sequential compression device/air leg massager

Post by ViewsAskew »

Taco Bill wrote:I bought a pair of leg massagers on Amazon about a month ago. I think they are definitely worth it. I was able to take a nap using them, which is something I haven't be able to do for years without medication. However, when it's really bad they kind of make it worse, especially if I use the highest setting. I've been experimenting with the settings and how long I use them. I read about one study where people had overall positive results. It's not a panacea, but definitely a nice tool to have in the box. I would like to try a medical grade one.
Glad to hear!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Homestarmy

Post by Homestarmy »

I recently (two weeks ago) began using a medical grade pcd and the results for me are life changing. I’ve slept longer, deeper, and better than I have in almost 30 years!

How I stumbled across this is a long story that I’ll tell when I’m not getting ready for work, but the short version is my boss recently had a knee replaced and was sent home with a pcd, which she loaned to me.

I understand that this may not work for everyone, but since you’re already having success with an over the counter solution, this may be an answer for you too.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Please you guys, can you both tell us the brand and model of what you're using and where you bought them (amazon for tacobill). I have been ready to invest in those for years, but I can't bring myself to pay over $1000 for something on amazon that might not even work. And it seemed the amazon entries were inconsistent in some way, I can't recall exactly, but I wasn't sure which model or size I would be getting, and there seemed to be no way to specify.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Homestarmy

Post by Homestarmy »

Sure thing, my friend. Actually, the only reason I haven’t posted that information already is because I didn’t want to violate any board rules that I was not aware of. The product that I use is called the Manamed PlasmaFlow. It is medical grade and supposedly by prescription only, but I was able to obtain one without a prescription for $200. I bought a second set an eBay for $50. That set was used, but it was it looked completely brand new, And had less than an hours usage. I definitely recommend looking into, they have change my life.

Homestarmy

Post by Homestarmy »

Oh and one other thing, the only reason I’m awake at 4 o’clock in the morning to answer this at this point is because I had surgery on my left wrist and Tuesday and my current sleep patterns are screwed up which, I’m used to so it’s no big deal. But I have not had any symptoms post surgery using the device, and probably 85 to 90% of my maid Nights have been symptom-free since the middle of October when I first started using the device.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

What settings do you use?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Homestarmy

Post by Homestarmy »

The unit I use doesn't really have settings, per say. there are two numeric counters (a bright blue light in the dark) that flank a power button. There are two functions (F1 & F2) but I don't really know what they do or how they differ. The default is F1, so I leave it there. One of the counters shows how many hours the unit runs from 00 - 99 then it resets. The other is a PSI counter that runs from 00 - 55.

Once powered on, the units inflate to 55 PSI, then deflate, repeating ever 20 - 60 seconds or so. I don't know how long a unit will last (I don't think they're made for that kind of use) but I have a spare set just in case the first set fails. It's been six weeks so far, and all is good!

Hopefully that info helps.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Homestarmy wrote:The unit I use doesn't really have settings, per say. there are two numeric counters (a bright blue light in the dark) that flank a power button. There are two functions (F1 & F2) but I don't really know what they do or how they differ. The default is F1, so I leave it there. One of the counters shows how many hours the unit runs from 00 - 99 then it resets. The other is a PSI counter that runs from 00 - 55.

Once powered on, the units inflate to 55 PSI, then deflate, repeating ever 20 - 60 seconds or so. I don't know how long a unit will last (I don't think they're made for that kind of use) but I have a spare set just in case the first set fails. It's been six weeks so far, and all is good!

Hopefully that info helps.
:thumbup:

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

Thank you :)
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I looked at Manamed PlasmaFlow online and it looks like it stimulates your calf. But my RLS is in my thighs. I used to think it was in my calfs decades ago when it was more of just a nuisance. Once it tuned into pain it was distinctly in my thighs. Once I controlled that pain with Lyrica the pain manifested in my hip or lower back from the PLM (thigh muscle jerking my leg, primarily right leg). I worry about the pain getting worse but I have no pain in hip or lower back when RLS is under control from dawn until 7 or 8 pm. Not even after a hard workout. This is such a strange disease and everyone is so different.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I got a set of Manamed PlasmaFlow cuffs cheap on ebay. I'm smallish so I can wrap them just above the knee, if that's where I'm having issues, but they barely fit there. They fit the calves nicely. I can't say they're miraculous but I can't be sure. I tried them 3 or 4 times, twice without any strong symptoms as a preventative measure, and twice during symptoms. I was able to sleep every time, but the symptoms weren't bad. I felt a little frustrated that I Couldn't crank up the pressure a bit, but after a while I would forget about the cuffs. It's great that you can walk around with them on.

The lights are bad. They're blue LEDs that are glaringly bright when the lights are out. They don't go on upsidedown.

I should have had something more useful to say, but I just went thru a bout of bad symptoms from an antibiotic I was taking, and I forgot to put them on! The whole time!

I'll report better when I've had some sleep and

badnights

Post by badnights »

They are helpful but not hugely so. If I put them on a few hours before bed, I can usually avoid taking a single 1 mg pill of hydromorphone immediate release that I sometimes take when I go to bed if the symptoms are preventing sleep.

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

Compression is the most underrated and least commented on form of physical treatment. These massagers are a bit of blunt object approach, but I'm not surprised they give good results for many.

Knee wraps with velcro are around $15 and with experimentation will almost always stop symptoms for the night per trigger area. Target sciatic nerve at the top of the thigh, compress area of symptoms or use it as a tourniquet.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I wish they were that effective for me. That would be nice. As it is, reducing by 1 mg when I still take 6 mg is not a big effect.

Ideally they would be bigger, so I could put them where I need them - sometimes thigh, sometimes calf, sometimes both, sometimes it would be nice to have something on my wrists too - and they would allow me to increase the pressure and change the frequency.