Insomnia and whey protein

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Frunobulax

Insomnia and whey protein

Post by Frunobulax »

I found out a while ago that half a dose of whey protein (15-20 grams, regular protein marketed for muscle building, SCITEC brand) helps me fall asleep if I consume it about 30 minutes before going to bed. I have been able to do without for half a year, but my insomnia returned recently and once again I'm falling back to this magic potion.

I'm not happy taking it because I try to do intermittent fasting and it's full of stuff that I'm trying to avoid (like artificial sweeteners and flavors). At least it's low carb...
Any idea what the magic ingredient is that makes me fall asleep? Taurine maybe?

ViewsAskew

Re: Insomnia and whey protein

Post by ViewsAskew »

I used whey many years ago - it definitely seems to help reduce the anxiety/icky feeling for me when it happens in the midday, but I never tried it for sleep. You can get whey protein isolate itself (I use it as a protein replacement in GF baking)- don't know if it would do the same for you, but won't have all the additives.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Frunobulax

Re: Insomnia and whey protein

Post by Frunobulax »

So, after a month of using taurine: Nope. I slept like a baby the first night, but then no more effect.

I wonder if the sleepiness simply comes from an insulin surge, as whey seems to spike insulin https://pescience.com/blogs/blog/lesson ... -your-whey. I see the same effect from a carby meal, I get very sleepy afterwards. Considering the circumstances (trying to stay in ketosis) I guess I'll just have to cut whey out of my diet and look for other remedies...