Alertness--RLS vs. pain dosages?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
wantok

Alertness--RLS vs. pain dosages?

Post by wantok »

This is probably a no-brainer, but if codeine causes alertness at dosages for RLS, it will likely cause alertness for pain level dosages?

Rustsmith

Re: Alertness--RLS vs. pain dosages?

Post by Rustsmith »

It is my understanding that alerting is more of an individual specific situation than one of dose and that those of us with severe RLS are more likely to experience alerting (which is why doctors all seem to think that opioids are sedating). Therefore, if you are experiencing alerting with low dosage codeine, it seems likely that you would also experience it with a higher dose for pain.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

QyX

Re: Alertness--RLS vs. pain dosages?

Post by QyX »

Rustsmith wrote:It is my understanding that alerting is more of an individual specific situation than one of dose and that those of us with severe RLS are more likely to experience alerting (which is why doctors all seem to think that opioids are sedating). Therefore, if you are experiencing alerting with low dosage codeine, it seems likely that you would also experience it with a higher dose for pain.
Indeed. Alertness from opioids is simply a general side effect. It is unclear if RLS patients are more likely to experience this compared to your average chronic pain patient but even if this would be the case, it might be difficult to determine between RLS related insomnia and insomnia caused by opioids.

However I also made the experience that some opioids, especially Oxycodone in my case, can cause major alertness. This ultimately made me stop Oxycodone and switch to Hydromorphone. But this all happened in the first few years of opioid therapy. The alertness disappeared for me after 3 years. It also seemed that Hydromorphone was only causing slight activation for and Morphine none at all. But of course that can be very different for another person.