Another year of relief

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS/WED, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
wilabozo

Re: Another year of relief

Postby wilabozo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Here's my experience so far with a low oxalate diet. I'm into week 8. It's been a rollercoaster. The first week I had some surprising relief. I eased into the low oxalate diet as suggested and gradually eliminated all high/med oxalate food. Now I have a very strict diet of no processed food, almost all organic, and following carefully a standard low oxalate diet. Mostly my RLS is persisting, although it's different every night ranging from severe to zero. I have stopped all medication. I had one week of no symptoms and slept 8 hours each night which was a very strange experience but now back to very few hours every night.
Some interesting notes:
I am urinating often every night (10 times?), but when my RLS symptoms subside so does the urination frequency (2 or 3).
According to my Fitbit, my resting heart rate has slowed down a lot over the last 2 months.
My weight hasn't changed much but fat is way down and muscle up
My calves don't feel as inflamed
Less tendonitis
My RLS has definitely become less aggressive but still enough to keep me awake at night.
Something is changing in my body, so I'm going to keep going with the diet. I'm also reading as much as I can about oxalates and the impact they can have on your body.

XenMan

Postby XenMan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:45 am

I'm at day 10 with a dump every 3 days making me feel bad and legs burn. The RLS symptom triggers are moving up my calf with the massage ball rolling revealing much more relaxed calves.

I hate the carnivore diet, but just before a dump I feel the best I have physically and particularly mentally for a while. Just as a note, do not take any Omega 3 supplements as I found a paper that it reduces oxalates in the urine and possibly negatively impacting breaking them down and removal. My RLS went from inconvenient to devastating after accidentally boosting my dose higher due to a new measuring cap on fish oil. I couldn't work out why it made things worse. This could be the reason.

Hold in there wilabozo, you are on the right path. From my experiences of making my symptoms worse, it can take a while for tension that causes the symptoms to resolve. So if you remove your oxalate crystals now, the source of symptoms, it could still take a few weeks to heal, relax and not keep you awake at night.

Frunobulax

Postby Frunobulax » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:17 am

wilabozo wrote:Here's my experience so far with a low oxalate diet. I'm into week 8. It's been a rollercoaster.
[...]

Something is changing in my body, so I'm going to keep going with the diet. I'm also reading as much as I can about oxalates and the impact they can have on your body.

There are different causes for RLS, even in individuals. If there are several causes for your RLS (that is, oxalates are one voice in a choir) then you may achieve relief but you won't be cured. But as long as you see a change in your condition you're probably on the right track.

I admit that I have a different approach to medication: I stick to my medication but will try to reduce it occasionally, maybe once a year and more often if there is a change that merits it. As I take oxycodone I'm not overly concerned about augmentation, but I'll still give it a few weeks to see if I adapt to the change. I did go down from 30mg a day to 25mg successfully last year, but any attempt to reduce it further was accompanied by shorter nights. I last tried it a month ago when I went on the low oxalate diet, I may try again in a couple of months just in case there are beneficial long term consequences.

Return to “Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, Diet”