Cold medicine

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
dhanna318

Cold medicine

Post by dhanna318 »

Hello,

I have acquired a lovely winter cold. I am wondering what cold medicines you all have tried that do not trigger your RLS. I seem to always choose the wrong one and regret it later. Thank you so much!

Polar Bear

Re: Cold medicine

Post by Polar Bear »

To be honest I don't use any. A little honey for the throat and paracaetamol. A hot drink is tea. If I'm really stuffed up I'll use a nasal inhaler from the supermarket. That's it.

As an aside I read your first line as ...you'd got a lovely winter coat!! Gave me a laugh.
Hope your cold doesn't last too long.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Most of the "nighttime" cold meds have diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in them. Avoid them like the plague.
Blessings,
Holland

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I use a throat spray and nasal spray. I'm scared of any night time medicine. Benadryl is like speed for us RLS sufferers.
Also, not for colds, but don't ever take Tylenol PM which is supposed to help with sleep. The acrive ingredient is diphenhydramine which is benadryl. I learned the hard way during a trip to New York many years ago. My sisters were all taking Tylenol PM so I did. When one didn't work I took another. No sleep that night!

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

If we are on general cold (coronaviruses or rhinoviruses) management of the accompanied bacterial infection from the phlegm and mucus, the Betadine iodine throat gargle is the best thing in the history of everything.

You can’t do much for the virus but let it run its course, but I take medication to help with some symptoms usually at night with Paracetamol, Phenylephrine Hydrochloride and Chlorpheniramine Maleate, with no problems. The brand is a local product.

dhanna318

Post by dhanna318 »

Thank you all for your replies! It is greatly appreciated! I am pretty certain I will not die but colds always feel like it :wink: Thank you again!

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I agree, Benadryl is the biggest trigger I've known. First doctor I told I had RLS suggested I try Benadryl. Bad night and that was 25 years ago. NyQuil really sets me off.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I remember taking a cold medicine when I was in junior high or high school. I was passed out on the couch with my body flailing. Such misery to have your brain sooooo sleepy and being constantly awakened. Ugh.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Kansas

Post by Kansas »

this is an answer to an old post. but be aware "diphenhydramine which is benadryl" are anithistamines and that is bad!!! most cold meds and sleep aids have antihistamine.

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

Dr. B. told me some antihistamimes are OK. Benadryl is an anticholinergic drug. Claritin and allegra are two of the ones that are OK. They are not anticholinergic. They also have them in generic forms. I also take vitamin C, zinc , vitamin D, Vitamin K, and copper. These all help your immune system.

Steve

QyX

Post by QyX »

Juse use classic OTC pain meds like Ibuprofen, Aspirin or Paracetamol.

Do not take those advertised cold meds who often include a number of different active ingredients.

Tim S.

Post by Tim S. »

I am able to use teh antihisamine zertec and if I get real stuffed up I can use Afrin and similiar products. I can not take and steroid like a budesonide or flonase they really make me kick all night.

Tim S.

Post by Tim S. »

I used to beable to to take Zertec but I have just discovered it now gives me RLS. I do take Nasal Crom to help with seasonal allergies and that gives me no problem. It is hard to get Nasal Crom and I have to get it off of Amazon.