Did Rotigotine help you?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Enigmaman

Did Rotigotine help you?

Post by Enigmaman »

I have recently come off Rotigotine, for my PLMD.

As I also have sleep apnoea and am in benzo withdrawal it is hard to tease out the different strands that add up to poor sleep andbeing very fatigued.

I notice since stopping Rotigotine patches (I had to because my skin had an allergic reaction) that I am waking up with my legs feeling a bit weary and dully aching.

And anyone who has stopped Rotigotine (1mg dose in my case) did you notice withdrawal symptoms?

I feel the drug may have added to my tiredness as a side effect but also helped my symptoms.

badnights

Re: Did Rotigotine help you?

Post by badnights »

Hi Enigmaman
I haven't used rotigotine so I can't address that directly. How long were you on rotigotine, & at what dose?

It certainly is hard to figure out what's causing poor sleep when you have so many things going on! Did you ever have WED/RLS, or did you only have a problem with PLMD? Are you using anything to control the PLMD now, or has it gotten better?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Enigmaman

Post by Enigmaman »

Hi badnights, I was on the med for about 2.5 months at 1mg.

I only have PLMD and not RLS.

Right now I am not taking any other meds to control PLMD but will be starting Pramipexole (Mirapax) when I et to see my doctor soon, as the hospital has advised that I try it.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Enigmaman, since your problem is PLMS and not RLS, do you think that it might be possible that when you stopped the patch that your PLMS returned to its old level and that your legs are tired because you have been kicking all night? In a 2.5 month period, you could have lost some of the muscle tone from the all night "exercise" that you were getting before starting the patch.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I like Steve's thought, that your legs are tired from kicking all night when they're no longer "used to it".

Did you ever get your iron status tested, including ferritin? Did you try taking iron, did it help at all? It's important to get your ferritin level up, if it's low, so that the pramipexole (any other dopamine-type med they want to give you, including rotigotine) doesn't end up causing WED/RLS. Also, take as low a dose as possible. You could even try taking half of whatever they prescribe (splitting the pill) for a few nights to see if it works.

Keeping the dose as low as possible and your ferritin as high as possible should help to prevent development of WED/RLS, I would think. (The evidence is that it will help prevent augmentation in people who already have WED/RLS.)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.