Gabapentin--Lyrica?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
wantok

Gabapentin--Lyrica?

Post by wantok »

Anyone who couldn't tolerate gabapentin (caused depression) do well on Lyrica?

Frunobulax

Re: Gabapentin--Lyrica?

Post by Frunobulax »

Only the reverse for me. Lyrica caused depressions, Gabapentin was fine. (Wasn't able to control my RLS though.)

QyX

Post by QyX »

I did tolerate Gabapentin a bit better than Lyrica but most likely only because Gabapentin is less potent and I was taking lower doses than I did relative to the time when I used Lyrica.

Ultimately, I've tried both drugs several times and just did not tolerate them at all.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Just to show how everyone is different I have only ever used Lyric and have no side effects that I am aware of. I started it because of burning neuropathy and got the bonus of it being good for RLS as well.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

shuteye59

Post by shuteye59 »

I was on Lyrica for a number of years worked for a period of time for me. However, in order for it to continue to work you needed to increase the dose...started at 75, then to 150. The side effects of Lyrica ultimately became intolerable. Urinary retention and host of others. I wouldn't ever recommend this drug to anyone suffering from RLS.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I had strong mood swings on gabapentin - sudden anger and depression. I knew it was the medication. Eventually I became almost suicidal. I'm not sure what the definition of suicidal is. Three separate times, weeks or months apart, I forget, and the last was the worst. I wanted to be dead. I didn't even care what my kids would think (that had always stopped me before). But I was also so utterly devoid of any spark of passion that I could not raise a finger to hurt myself. I was just nothing. A dread, dread, nothing.

I was out in the mountains at the time, working in a remote bush camp. Maybe in town I'd have found a way to end me.
I lived like that for 3 days. Then at about 5 pm the third day, it disappeared.

Anyway, that's how bad gabapentin was for me.

I avoided Lyrica for years, just in case. Then I started 75 mg 5 nights a week, to help with sleep, because my sleep architecture has been ravaged by hydromorphone. I stayed on that for 2 or 3 years, then last fall I took Dr B's advice to try 150 mg every night, but ramping up to it slowly. I have now been taking 150 every night for about 4 months now. No effect on my mood that I can tell.

So - it's possible you would be fine.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I've been on Pregabalin 150 mg and Clonazepam 2 mg for over a year without any significant side effects. Before the addition of Pregabalin, RLS had gotten worse and worse to the point of significant pain in my thighs and PLMS in the evening and night. Not like I don't deal with RLS on a daily basis but the pain and movement have been greatly reduced. I take Pregabalin about 7 pm (when it gets uncomfortable) and Clonazepam just before bed and sleep OK. The neurologist also prescribed Acetaminophen - Codeine #300 for the pain but I only use it once or twice a week. Kind of my backup for bad nights.

I felt a lot worse about the prospects for each day's late afternoon and evening mood before adding these meds. I wish it didn't have to be this way but it seems it does. Rick