Weighted Blankets

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Debrasuzan

Weighted Blankets

Post by Debrasuzan »

It has been awhile since I have been active on the RLS Discussion Board, but I am back. Recently I have been asked if a weighted blanket would help with night time RLS/PLMD. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this subject?

badnights

Re: Weighted Blankets

Post by badnights »

I have never committed the funds to buying one to find out, but I admit I have often wondered. I think sometimes it might help and sometimes it might drive me mad.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I haven't seen enough to convince me that the high cost of a good weighted blanket was worth taking a chance.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I think a weighted blanket would make my legs worse, as anything confining does.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yankiwi wrote:I think a weighted blanket would make my legs worse, as anything confining does.
I tend to agree. I don't even like the feel of fabric on my skin.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I would feel confined and my legs would go crazy. I know this going back 50 years when my RLS was a tiny fraction of what it is now.

MaryW

Post by MaryW »

I use a weighted blanket and can’t sleep without it. It helps my plmd/rls immensely. I waited 3 years for a huge sale.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you MaryW. It's good to also hear from someone who has been helped by using a weighted blanket. Another example off what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.
I hope It works for you for a long time.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

karmamido

Post by karmamido »

Newbie forum poster here ... user name is karmamido and (until the wind blows me away) I'm on the Central Coast of California, USA.
Wanted to "weigh in" on the topic here. I had never heard of these "weighted blankets" things in my life ... until about 6 months ago when my sister bought me one as a gift. This dude is heavy! That weight factor concerned me quite a bit. I left it sitting on the couch.
Flashforward a couple of days: My RLS was extremely bad, and hubby was NOT happy. I chose to go sleep out on the couch. That was the first night I tried out my new blanket. People, I tell ya, I slept for a full 2 HOURS! (For me, 2 hours is a miracle!) AND I even felt halfway decent when I woke.
I have used the blanket several (!) times when I have taken my legs on a walk out into the living room, and found the couch. I can't tell you what it is, but that weighted blanket turns into a "wet blanket" (joke) for my RLS. Thinking I should probably take a walk into the living room every night!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Another success for a weighted blanket despite most of us cringing at the thought. Thank you for telling us.it is good to hear opinions.
Betty

badnights

Post by badnights »

karmamido wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:21 am
Newbie forum poster here ... user name is karmamido and (until the wind blows me away) I'm on the Central Coast of California, USA.
Wanted to "weigh in" on the topic here. I had never heard of these "weighted blankets" things in my life ... until about 6 months ago when my sister bought me one as a gift. This dude is heavy! That weight factor concerned me quite a bit. I left it sitting on the couch.
Flashforward a couple of days: My RLS was extremely bad, and hubby was NOT happy. I chose to go sleep out on the couch. That was the first night I tried out my new blanket. People, I tell ya, I slept for a full 2 HOURS! (For me, 2 hours is a miracle!) AND I even felt halfway decent when I woke.
I have used the blanket several (!) times when I have taken my legs on a walk out into the living room, and found the couch. I can't tell you what it is, but that weighted blanket turns into a "wet blanket" (joke) for my RLS. Thinking I should probably take a walk into the living room every night!
Ha ha that's awesome! I have two of them, I parked the heaviest one away in a closet cuz it was awkwardly heavy but I still have the lighter one on my couch, where I use it frequently. It's not a cure-all, but very helpful if the legs aren't too bad already, like, if they're just thinking about it.

Are you on any medications? It sounds like your sleep is very disrupted.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

nomoboh

Post by nomoboh »

I did try a weighted blanket my daughter lent me a few years ago. My impression is that it made it worse at the time.

purpleamaru

Post by purpleamaru »

I have been using one for the last 6 months or so, I keep it in the spare bedroom bed so not to disturb my husband if I'm tossing and turning. I have to say often its the one thing that works to settle my nervous system and i can fall asleep after that usually. My RL has decreased in intensity quite a bit since i started acupuncture every 2 weeks; its been a couple months now; I've had RL for over 20 yrs now so this has been a very nice transition :) And i have to say as well, when my husband first suggested it last yr i almost pushed him over with my emphatic no lol. The pure idea of it gave me anxiety. But after a transition time of about a week, now i cant imagine not having it in my life. I find it very safe and comforting, which i realized is very much connected to why my nervous system is so disregulated in the first place, contributing to my RL .

TimG

Post by TimG »

I never thought much about a weighted blanket until I got a torn right shoulder rotator cuff. I move around a lot at night, in addition to RLS, and any time I'd shift to my right side, the pain from pressure on my shoulder would eventually wake me up. My reasoning was that a weighted blanket would keep me in a position and prevent so much tossing and turning during sleep. It has worked well for me in the few months I've had it. I found a good one on sale--15 lbs recommended for my weight. It works well and helps keeps me in the same relative position throughout the night.

TimG

Post by TimG »

Let me weigh in with an update on my weighted blanket experience. I really like it and the way it holds me in place at night. I still get occasional middle-of-the-night episodes of restless legs, in which case I get up and walk around for awhile. I am leary of exceeding the 0.125 mg daily dose of pramipexole, which has been low enough to prevent augmentation for 11 years now.