IV Iron Revisited

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Stainless

IV Iron Revisited

Post by Stainless »

Stjohnh, I just read on another post you have achieved complete relief with IV Iron. That is amazing! You are the only person I know of that has achieved that degree of relief and did not just post their complicated supplements and life style changes that befit a monk. Some come on once and claim to have achieved it and disappear. I knew you went down that road but did not know the final result. I did a search and read you posts, amazing.

My health provider's haematologist told my doctor no way unless anaemic. My doctor at least followed up because she said that iron was taught when she was in med school. This gives me ambition to pursue this further. My neurologist has me on 2 mg Clonazepam and 300 mg Lyrica. I sleep good because these drugs could knock out a horse. My symptoms have changed to some pain and discomfort later in the evening and less restlessness or plm while I'm awake.

I have doubled my intake of oral iron to 2 x 325 mg ferrous sulphate & vitamin C and been very conscientious about taking it on an empty stomach. I can feel the difference these last 3 weeks indicating to me I may be a good candidate for IV Iron.

Great to hear belatedly of your success! Rick

stjohnh

Re: IV Iron Revisited

Post by stjohnh »

Rick,
Thanks, I got relief for 22 weeks after my first IV Iron, now at 38 weeks from my second set. No RLS symptoms to speak of so far, but from my first set I did discover two symptoms not related to RLS that got better from the IV Iron that have started to pop up again.

The first is substernal chest pain, similar to that described for heart attacks, but not related to exercise, and has no radiation. I am pretty sure it is due to esophageal spasm, kind of a cramp in the esophagus. Went away with both first and second sets of IV Iron, and started returning before RLS symptoms recurred.

The second is paroxysms of cough resulting from bout of whooping cough I got about 2 years ago. It is a well known occasional result of whooping cough in adults. Anyway, it goes away with IV iron and comes back as the iron levels drop.

I am expecting to start having RLS symptoms soon, probably a month or two. At which time I will contact my hematologist about another set.
Blessings,
Holland

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

Holland -

Do you have early-onset (< 36 years) or late onSet RLS?

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Late onset.
Blessings,
Holland