Another year of relief (Low-oxalate diet)

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Frunobulax

Re: Another year of relief (Low-oxalate diet)

Post by Frunobulax »

I wonder if you have recommendations for oxalate content lists. I've seen fairly contradictory numbers. When I tried to figure out if black tea is safe, I read two articles: One measured oxalate content in the urine (which seems highly suspect to me, after all a magnesium or Garcinia Cambogia would probably come up as high oxalate because it helps us to get rid of them), the other claimed that the bioavailability of oxalates in tea was low as only 10% or less are absorbed in the body (equally unsatisfactory). I didn't dig any further though.

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

Frunobulax wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:53 am
I wonder if you have recommendations for oxalate content lists.
This is a bit of a nightmare. There are lots of different resources, that are of varying ages and different values for oxalates. They contradict because, just to add more confusion, plants have different oxalate levels based on growing conditions and even soil. I used this one because it seemed to be extensive and with a search; https://oxalate.org/

The worst thing for me was stevia with cocoa powder, add some nuts, as well jelly, or jello as it is called in the US, and I had quite a hit of oxalates as well as my vegetables at night. As I have eluded to before, the issue gets worse as the crystals block up your kidneys and this effectively stores all of them; even when you dump oxalates they are just reabsorbed.

Once I cleared my kidneys with smelly and cloudy urine, they then started to clear. I'm surprised there are as many people with success as there seems to be, as if I didn't find the papers on HCA from Garcinia Cambogia for kidney stones, my RLS from oxalates experiment would have been a failure.

So for anyone trying I would recommend to go no oxalates for at least 5 days to see what happens. If nothing, there is no oxalate issue. But if you start to feel really bad from dumping then clear with Garcinia Cambogia or lots of citrus, and then have a plan on a no or low oxalate diet.

Einszwei

Post by Einszwei »

XenMan wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:17 am
Once I cleared my kidneys with smelly and cloudy urine, they then started to clear. I'm surprised there are as many people with success as there seems to be, as if I didn't find the papers on HCA from Garcinia Cambogia for kidney stones, my RLS from oxalates experiment would have been a failure.
At the moment i would say that i have somewhat cloudy urine about two times per week. I'm not taking any Garcinia Cambogia.

I found a study where Garcinia Cambogia was tested on drosophila flies: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf Are there any further studies?

Most of the internet seems to advertise Garcinia Cambogia as some sort of weight loss drug. Whats your experience with this? I definitely do not want to loose any weight (BMI of 20).

For me, the most interesting thing about the diet change to low oxalates is my increased sensitivity to the smallest onset of symptoms. Basically 30 minutes to 1 hour after every meal with some oxalates i experience some tingling in my legs and sometimes in my hands as well. To clarify: with sensitivity i mean my ability to recognize these symptoms. Previously i was just numb to these feelings, as they were a constant for the time that rls is a major topic in my life.

Regarding oxalate content: I liked this page: https://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/how-t ... late-diet/. There are several lists linked at the top of the article, forwarding you to google docs and some other site.
I like this list of all foods better than a searchable database. All information at once seems more practical to me. The conflicting data regarding oxalate content is nightmare though. I recommend saving all data you find in a private excel sheet, just in case that some sites go offline.

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

XenMan wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:17 am
Frunobulax wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:53 am
I wonder if you have recommendations for oxalate content lists.
This is a bit of a nightmare. There are lots of different resources, that are of varying ages and different values for oxalates. They contradict because, just to add more confusion, plants have different oxalate levels based on growing conditions and even soil. I used this one because it seemed to be extensive and with a search; https://oxalate.org/
I'll try that. I eliminated high-oxalate foods from my diet a while ago and didn't have any dump effects. But I might check what medium-oxalate foods I can remove too, to go truly low oxalate for a few weeks. Might end up at carnivore, as I'm eating keto.
Einszwei wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:32 pm
Most of the internet seems to advertise Garcinia Cambogia as some sort of weight loss drug. Whats your experience with this? I definitely do not want to loose any weight (BMI of 20).
There seems to be weak evidence https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ga ... eight-loss.
I couldn't find anything except that it's supposed to block citrate lyase, and frankly I have no idea how this is supposed to cause weight loss. Seems that no one knows what it really does, and there are some warnings out because safety could not be verified. Still, if it helps clean the body from oxalates then some side effects are to be expected.

I myself decided to take it for 3 months. I've read reports though that many supplements contain only a small fraction of the advertised Garcinia Cambogia. If mine doesn't do anything I might try another manufacturer.

Kansas

Post by Kansas »

I bought Garcinia Camborgia at walmart and the bottle has more for free. It has calcium in it. I don't think it will work for weight loss.

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

Frunobulax wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:51 pm
I eliminated high-oxalate foods from my diet a while ago and didn't have any dump effects. But I might check what medium-oxalate foods I can remove too, to go truly low oxalate for a few weeks.

There seems to be weak evidence https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ga ... eight-loss.
I couldn't find anything except that it's supposed to block citrate lyase, and frankly I have no idea how this is supposed to cause weight loss. Seems that no one knows what it really does, and there are some warnings out because safety could not be verified. Still, if it helps clean the body from oxalates then some side effects are to be expected.

I myself decided to take it for 3 months. I've read reports though that many supplements contain only a small fraction of the advertised Garcinia Cambogia. If mine doesn't do anything I might try another manufacturer.
You may be in for some good luck. If you reduced your high oxalates you may have achieved an equilibrium with variable effects. I would have expected your RLS to improve, so that is not a good sign. But if you go no oxalates for at least 5 days you will know for sure. I just ate meat, cream rice, white chocolate, cheese and yogurt, and the dumping began within a few days.

Good luck with it.

Garcinia is promoted as weight loss because of the impact on serotonin and blood sugar. It didn't have that affect on me. While I was dumping it cleared the oxalates and it felt like I was taking an amphetamine because i felt so good afterwards. I think I mentioned in previous posts that it is not good for me high dose long term, and the warnings are underestimated online. Do not take high dose long term.

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

Einszwei wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:32 pm

At the moment i would say that i have somewhat cloudy urine about two times per week. I'm not taking any Garcinia Cambogia.

Whats your experience with this? I definitely do not want to loose any weight (BMI of 20).

For me, the most interesting thing about the diet change to low oxalates is my increased sensitivity to the smallest onset of symptoms. Basically 30 minutes to 1 hour after every meal with some oxalates i experience some tingling in my legs and sometimes in my hands as well.
That is excellent, you are definitely dumping and removing oxalates. Your load must be less than mine as I felt like I was about to die until the Garcinia started clearing the oxalates. If you are getting the tingles after eating oxalates your body is still storing them due to high absorption and maybe not clearing efficiently. You have to understand there are no studies so my claims are based on my experience, papers on kidney stones and a lot of speculation.

It is your choice, but as per my previous posts I found Garcinia a life saver and had no impact on weight loss. But be careful with long term high daily doses. I can't find the original paper but this is consistent with other studies https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 115447.htm

You can try lemon juice instead which helped but not quite as much, as it is high in citric acid.

Einszwei

Post by Einszwei »

XenMan wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:31 pm
It is your choice, but as per my previous posts I found Garcinia a life saver and had no impact on weight loss. But be careful with long term high daily doses.
Thanks for the input. I will will give it a try. What is your definition of a high dose? The highest dosage i can find is 500mg/pill with a recommended daily dosage of 3000mg (6 pills).

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

I use Go Healthy Go Garcinia Slim Gold, 12 g and 600mg HCA.

I usually take one capsule and 1gm Calcium Citrate first thing in the morning after an oxalate dump, which is around 2 times per week currently.

Prevously during heavy constant dumping I took up to 4 per day with potasium bicarbonate, or I felt very bad.

Kansas

Post by Kansas »

I like this site of oxalates list because it's in alphabetical order
https://oxalate.org/

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

XenMan wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:15 pm
You may be in for some good luck. If you reduced your high oxalates you may have achieved an equilibrium with variable effects. I would have expected your RLS to improve, so that is not a good sign. But if you go no oxalates for at least 5 days you will know for sure.
Eating keto, I eliminated almonds, peanuts, spinach and everything containing cocoa powder. This eliminates almost everything from the usual high oxalate lists. The occasional raspberries shouldn't be too bad. I might take notes how much oxalates my food contains exactly, in order to see what else I can eliminate. My RLS did improve, my oxycodone consumption is down from 30mg a day to 20mg, and occasionally I can get by with 15mg. But I do a lot of other things too, and it's impossible to say if this improvement comes from oxalate restriction.

Too bad that there seems to be no oxalate test independent of urine. Urine tests should be heavily influenced by the recent oxalate content in the food...

I wonder if fasting eliminates oxalates. Whenever I fast for 48h or more, my RLS goes to overdrive.

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

Your situation sounds complicated. Usually a the sign of oxalate dumping is the cloudy urine and you feel like you have been poisoned, which doesn't seem to have happened.

Well done with the experimentation and getting some improvement with diet, so that may be your success and not oxalates.

Your experiences seem different to mine, so I just don't know what is happening for you.

jumpy leg

Post by jumpy leg »

Recently I had to go to a bland diet to remedy diarrhea , and noticed my leg is finally quiet at night. Will try the low oxalates, that must be whats working for me now. Thanks- Jumpy leg

Einszwei

Post by Einszwei »

XenMan wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:36 am

I usually take one capsule and 1gm Calcium Citrate first thing in the morning after an oxalate dump, which is around 2 times per week currently.

Prevously during heavy constant dumping I took up to 4 per day with potasium bicarbonate, or I felt very bad.
I have been trying Garcinia Gambogia for the last ~2 months. These are my observations:

It took some time to get the clearing of oxalates going. After about 1 week of supplementing i was getting cloudy urine once to twice per day.
Initially i took 1000mg in the morning and 500mg in the evening. I quickly changed this to 1500mg in the morning because i couldn`t fall asleep with the evening dose. I was weirdly awake.

After only taking Garcinia in the morning everything was fine and i could fall asleep without much trouble.

For the last two weeks i stopped taking Garcinia to see what happens. My sleep stayed constant, but the pain in my legs is starting to return. I assume that oxalate is moving back into my legs, so i will start supplementing again soon.

The next thing i want to try is adding oxalate eating bacteria to my gut and see if anything changes. Does anyone have experience regarding this endeavor?

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

Einszwei wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:17 am
XenMan wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:36 am

I have been trying Garcinia Gambogia for the last ~2 months. These are my observations:

It took some time to get the clearing of oxalates going. After about 1 week of supplementing i was getting cloudy urine once to twice per day.
Initially i took 1000mg in the morning and 500mg in the evening. I quickly changed this to 1500mg in the morning because i couldn`t fall asleep with the evening dose. I was weirdly awake.

After only taking Garcinia in the morning everything was fine and i could fall asleep without much trouble.

For the last two weeks i stopped taking Garcinia to see what happens. My sleep stayed constant, but the pain in my legs is starting to return. I assume that oxalate is moving back into my legs, so i will start supplementing again soon.

The next thing i want to try is adding oxalate eating bacteria to my gut and see if anything changes. Does anyone have experience regarding this endeavor?
Quick question - is your RLS familial a or or you the only person in your Immediate/extended family with it?