Weaning off Methadone

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
debbluebird

Weaning off Methadone

Post by debbluebird »

I was taking 17.5 mg of Methadone over 24 hours. I first decreased to 15 mg, 5 mg every 8 hours. Then I started the muscle relaxant, Tizanidine in order to wean off gabapentin 1800 mg. I did that. Then I stopped the muscle relaxant. I haven't had any leg spasms or RLS since July 20th and before that it was not everyday. It was starting to decrease.
I am down to 10 mg of methadone. 5 mg at 1 pm and 5 mg at 9 pm. I did that for the last two nights. Today I took 2.5 mg at 1 pm and 5 mg at 9 pm. I'm taking a risk, but I need to see how far I can decrease it.
Something had definitely changed. I feel different. I have been very busy doing things that used to bring the spasms on. Time will tell. I guess I will try this another 3 nights. Maybe my back fusion helped, Oct 2019. It takes awhile for nerves to heal.
I know from the last time I weaned off the methadone, it took a month to get out of my system.
This is so weird. I have suffered for the last 39 years. I can't believe it really, but I'll take it.
If this doesn't work I don't know what I will try to do. I have tried over 20 meds.

ViewsAskew

Re: Weaning off Methadone

Post by ViewsAskew »

Darn it, a backspace ended up eating my message.

Hope it holds! As you noted, it's a really long half-life, so could be awhile before it shows up. Fingers crossed.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

In the past when I took a chance and cut back by 2.5 mg I got spasms right away. This is so weird.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Here is what I've done so far:

17.5 mg for a months,
15 mg for 10 weeks,
12.5 mg for 2 days,
10 mg for 3 days,
7.5 mg for 1 day
I'm awake tonight, but no leg movement. I probably should go back to 10 mg. I know the insomnia is withdrawal. The important thing, no leg movement.
When I looked up methadone it said:
It takes 2 to 13 days to get out of your body, but it takes 8 to 59 hours for ONE dose to get out if taking it for pain.
I guess I will take 2.5 mg for a total of 10 mg tonight.
Sorry for such a detailed note. Just trying to figure it out.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That really is great news.

Whatever it is? You'll take it, I imagine!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I wish I had a back up med. I have the feeling I will need something.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Are you weaning off the methadone because you think your WED/RLS is gone? Or because of the central apnea or other issues?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Weaning off because I haven't had any leg movement since July 20th. I just wanted to see how far I could go. It's difficult to get it. I'll be looking for a new Doctor. I just wanted to try. It also plays a factor in my central sleep apnea. I don't have a good heart.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I HATE opioid induced insomnia. This is the third night of it. I am so exhausted. I was just starting to sleep so well. It felt deeper and I wasn't waking up every 1 or 2 hours. I was sleeping 4, 5 and 6 hours and then going back to sleep more.
I think tomorrow instead of taking the methadone at 1 pm and 9 pm, I will try 12 hours apart. 1 pm and then when I wake up during the night. At least I hope I will be sleeping. That's what I did before, I switched to every 8 hours instead of being clumped around evening and bedtime, like 4 hours apart.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:54 am
I HATE opioid induced insomnia. This is the third night of it. I am so exhausted. I was just starting to sleep so well. It felt deeper and I wasn't waking up every 1 or 2 hours. I was sleeping 4, 5 and 6 hours and then going back to sleep more.
I think tomorrow instead of taking the methadone at 1 pm and 9 pm, I will try 12 hours apart. 1 pm and then when I wake up during the night. At least I hope I will be sleeping. That's what I did before, I switched to every 8 hours instead of being clumped around evening and bedtime, like 4 hours apart.
It really is the pits, isn't it????

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm going to stay at 5 mg of methadone every 12 hours. I think that is as far as I can go down without adding something else.
When are they going to get new meds?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:50 pm
I'm going to stay at 5 mg of methadone every 12 hours. I think that is as far as I can go down without adding something else.
When are they going to get new meds?
Sure wish I knew.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I moved my methadone an hour earlier and an hour later, so more like 10 hours apart instead of 8.
I also added back 1/2 tablet, 1mg, of Tizanidine. It is taking care of them. I am packing every day so my spasms are back. Another reason I feel they are related to my lower back pinched nerves. My RLS is under control. I am moving to Albuquerque the first of Oct.

badnights

Post by badnights »

The lower elevation should be good for you. Packing is not good for anyone! I hope it goes as well as possible and doesn't aggravate your back too much.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:49 pm
I moved my methadone an hour earlier and an hour later, so more like 10 hours apart instead of 8.
I also added back 1/2 tablet, 1mg, of Tizanidine. It is taking care of them. I am packing every day so my spasms are back. Another reason I feel they are related to my lower back pinched nerves. My RLS is under control. I am moving to Albuquerque the first of Oct.
Hope you're not in the fire area, Deb.

Managing Your RLS