Weaning off Methadone

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
debbluebird

Re: Weaning off Methadone

Post by debbluebird »

There is a fire to the west of us, one to the south and one to the east, all 20 miles away. A few days ago the smoke was very bad. I could smell it in my house. Then a storm came through with high winds which helped and got a couple of feet of snow in the mountains which helped too. Smoke has gotten better in our valley.
I know California is bad too.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:37 pm
There is a fire to the west of us, one to the south and one to the east, all 20 miles away. A few days ago the smoke was very bad. I could smell it in my house. Then a storm came through with high winds which helped and got a couple of feet of snow in the mountains which helped too. Smoke has gotten better in our valley.
I know California is bad too.
I've been lucky - the fires are all at least 40-50 miles from me. We do have some ash on our balcony and the air quality is not great - but I cannot smell smoke.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I am now glad that I was able to reduce the methadone. I saw the Doctor at the pain clinic in Albuquerque. The first thing she said was, she does not prescribe methadone. Needless to say, I knew this would happen. She ordered an MRI and X-rays to look at my back. She thinks a spine stimulator will block the pain and spasms. I am open to trying it. I have never liked taking any drugs for this. We didn't even get to the RLS. I was so upset that I know I didn't communicate very well. By the end of the appointment she wrote for a prescription. I run out in 11 days. I won't be seeing her again until Dec 10th. I am just so tired of fighting Doctors.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:54 pm
I am now glad that I was able to reduce the methadone. I saw the Doctor at the pain clinic in Albuquerque. The first thing she said was, she does not prescribe methadone. Needless to say, I knew this would happen. She ordered an MRI and X-rays to look at my back. She thinks a spine stimulator will block the pain and spasms. I am open to trying it. I have never liked taking any drugs for this. We didn't even get to the RLS. I was so upset that I know I didn't communicate very well. By the end of the appointment she wrote for a prescription. I run out in 11 days. I won't be seeing her again until Dec 10th. I am just so tired of fighting Doctors.
Ugh. So glad you have been decreasing. So hard to have these appointments - I never get to explain what I really want/need/mean, so I really feel for you.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I always come away thinking "I didn't explain that right". And sometimes my doctor will say something that shows she really doesn't get what's going on with me. But I don't know the solution. Maybe if you have a partner who can go in with you? But that depends on if he's in tune with you.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I always have notes with me at an appointment, with bullet points.
Thing is, I have to prioritize the bullet points. And time limitation means you're trying to say what you need to on a bullet point while knowing that there's other bullet points you need to get to. i'ts nigh impossible to cover all the bullet points let alone say what needs to be said on any particular bullet point.
Sorry.... that was very wordy!!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

Not at all/. And exxtly right. I walk away with unchecked boxes, intending to get to them next time, but some eventually just fall off the plate (page?).
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Well, my latest development is that I believe my muscle relaxant, (Tizanidine) started increasing my leg spasms and RLS. I thought I would try to decrease my methadone a little more, so I increased the muscle relaxant. Everything just got worse. I went back up on the methadone just after two nights while keeping the increased muscle relaxant the same. Then last night increased the muscle relaxant to 4 tablets. My leg was going all night, every hour.
Tonight I did not take any Tizanidine and just added my CBD/THC oil. So far it's ok. I didn't have spasms or RLS all day and evening like I have been getting.
I hope I can sleep some tonight.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

How did it go?

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I had insomnia at first. Finally got to sleep after 3 am. No spasms though. I spaced the methadone to every 12 hours which might help. Will see.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I am definitely having insomnia. For three days I had leg spasms during the day as well at night and insomnia at night.
Then finally yesterday my leg was quiet during the day, but then when I went to bed, the insomnia was there. The CBD/THC oil helps with that but I'm going to run out. I was awake from 3 am to 5 am until I took more of the oil.
I see the Doctor Thursday I hope. I may have been exposed to covid last Tuesday so I'm not sure if they will let me go. I was with my Daughter Tuesday and now she has covid. I feel fine. It's been 6 days so I hope I'm ok.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

The incubation period for Covid can be anything from 5 - 14 days.
I doubt that your doctor would let you go the the appointment if there are any concerns.
I do hope you stay well. Good luck.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hope your daughter has a mild case and that you have NO case!

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

My Daughters covid test came back negative as well as her boy friends test. They are having him retested.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

His second test came back negative. Very good news.
I have been struggling. Leg spasms are worse again. They want me to exercise, but that causes an increase in spasms. Last night I was up from 2 am to almost 7 am. I have even added back 300 mg of gabapentine. I was desperate.
Everything else is coming together. A new sleep study is planned as soon as it is feasible, with covid. Moving to a lower altitude, I'm sure my settings on my bipap need to be adjusted.
This coming Wednesday I'm getting an injection in the lower back between L3 and L3. Some kind of block. It might help my leg. After that moving forward in getting a spinal stimulator. After all of that I need a Reversed total shoulder replacement. I am not looking forward to that, but I have a 2 inch tear in my rotator cuff. Again, depending on covid. It might be awhile. That will be my 6th joint replacement. Lets say I'm falling apart and they are putting me back together. It's all I seem to do is go to the Doctor. At least my cancer is gone. I envy healthy people.