Side effects: Add Yours to Create a Complete List

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Side effects: Add Yours to Create a Complete List

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sometime lately it occured to me that we often get posts asking about the side effects of this or that. So, I thought maybe it would be helpful to have a thread that just discussed side effects. This could be of any drug. At the end, maybe Becat, Trev or I can tabulate the responses and make a sticky post that provides our collective knowledge about as many drugs as we can.

So, please, add any side effects that you have experienced to this list. Since many of these drugs were approved for other problems, they many cause issues in our population that they do not cause in the population for which they were developed.

Oh, DO NOT READ THIS IF THIS KIND OF INFORMATION UPSETS YOU! Some of us have a hard time reading this type of stuff because it can be scary thinking that all of these horrible things can happen. Others feel better knowing the risks in advance or being able to check out a symptom against other people's reactions. So, please, use this list carefully based on how you respond to such information.

If we get a lot of good information, maybe we could send it to the top researchers. It might truly offer some educational opportunities, or they would see something in this information that could spark interest in researching something else.

Ann
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Mirapex:
Was exceedingly cold at night, and cooler during the day than usual
Was contantly hungry - gained 50 pounds over 18 months
Had augmentation within two weeks
Made me sleepy, sleepy, sleepy at night
After taking it for several months, began having trouble staying asleep; would wake up several times during night and couldn't fall back to sleep
Made me moody - I would get sad or mad for no reason
Got songs stuck in my head for days - same snippet of one song - the songs even were in my head while dreaming
Didn't work well with alcohol - caused vomiting with three glasses of wine over a 5 hour period
After severe augmentation, also experienced neuropathy
Lowered libido
Extreme difficulty in achieving orgasm

All of these stopped (except the augmentation, it was permanent), when I stopped the drug.

Neurtontin
Very tired the next day - felt drugged and out of it
Very tired and sleepy within an hour of taking it - couldn't take it and drive

Klonopin
Very foggy the next day - had trouble making connections, thinking clearly
Developed dependence quite quickly and had a hard time getting off of a low dose after taking it for about 5-6 months

Requip
Rebound from first dose
Only worked for 2-3 hours before the rebound would start
Slept very lightly, and kept waking up when I took it

Sinemet
Augmentation and rebound with first dose (never took a second dose)

Opioids/Opiates
Constipation (severe) and a slowdown of motility
Vomiting with one of them
Itching - but it stopped after a few days - the two times I had to increase the dose, the itching came back for a few days
My nose is cold and consequently runny

Oral Iron Therapy
Gastro issues - stool color change, constipation
Nausea if taken without food
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Adventuregeek

Post by Adventuregeek »

Mirapex:

(I belive this is VERY dangerous drug!)

-Augmentation in 3 weeks
-Very sleepy about 1-2 hour after taking it, then waking up with insomnia at about 4 am.
- Random daytime ticks and jerks (that still haven't completely gone away 3 months later!)
- Rebound at 4 am.
- Severe depression when discontinued

Requip

- Insomnia/anxiety
- Ineffective
- Rebound

Neurontin:

- Just didn't work very well
- Morning grogginess

Wellbutrin:

- Increase in ticks and jerks
- Headaches
- Severe depression when discontinued

Vicodin (current medication)

- Some insomnia, increased allertness at bedtime
- Not completely effective
- Slight feeling of euphoria (not always a bad thing when depressed)

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Effexor XR:

Serious RLS/PLMD severe pain along with the constant moving

Requip:

75mg=constant migraines

Neurontin:

Higher than 300mg=pronounced memory loss
Beware the Penguin

Neco

Post by Neco »

Sinemet
Severe rebound & augmentation over time. Slowly begins after first dose

Requip
Slight nausea, and random bad headaches after long term use.

Hydrocodone (Vicodin)
Slowed motility
Increased difficulty in urinating (Prostate irritant? Complete retention for hours, when combine when other drugs producing a similar effect)
Euphoria
Insomnia w/ determination to stay focused on awake tasks until falling alseep in feet / in chair at PC

Tramadol (ULTRAM)
Same as Hydrocodone, though Euphoria is less intense and does not feel chemically induced. Remain much more clear headed, but still overall well-being.

Most anti-depressants affect my urinary habbits when combined with the two noted above. Right now hoping the Notriptyline doesn't get worse, as its just barely manageable right now..

afj

side effects

Post by afj »

Requip:
After having been diagnosed with RLS in Nov., which I've had since age 10-my neurologist wanted me to up the dosage to 4 mgs.. I had been taking 2 for seven or so months. I had been having bouts of narcolepsy during the day, and not that much difference in my sleep patterns; but the leg spasms seem to get much more pronounced.
I tried to increase to 4 two times, and experienced serious nausea getting up at night.
I've had stomach discomfort in the evening, and periods of headaches.
I'm tapering down, and will stop taking it. It hasn't helped enough to make the side effects worth it, and may be making it worse.
The only thing that really seems to work is a very hot bath, and putting my legs up vertically for about 20-30 minutes.
AFJ

moreta

Mirapex

Post by moreta »

Mirapex-

Primary side effect for me has been nausea and vomiting. Here's my history w/Mirapex.

Was diagnosed with RLS in August of 2004, but now know I've had it since early childhood.

Began with a very low dose of Mirapex...worked wonders (0.5 mg/night).

Adapted to the initial dose of Mirapex. Upped dose in November - still relatively low dosage (1 mg/night).

In December, had gained more than 10 pounds since August. Began experiencing Acid Reflux.

Adapted to 2nd dosage. Upped dose in late April 2005 (1.5 mg/night).

Began experiencing nausea and some vomiting usually in early mornings in May 2005.

Was diagnosed with h. pylorii in June 2005, and treated (massive antibiotics). Nausea & vomiting symptoms abated with addition of Prilosec

H. pylorii was confirmed eradicated. Lowered dosage of Prilosec...nausea and vomiting returned.

Referred to GI doctor. Underwent numerous tests, and placed on different acid reflux med. Symptoms continued unabated. Instructed to experiment eliminating certain foods and reintroducing, while keeping a food and symptoms journal.

Adapted to 3rd dosage level of Mirapex. Upped dose in early December 2005 (2 mg/night). Nausea and vomiting immediately increased. Stopped Mirapex in early December...nausea and vomiting disappeared, but extreme exhaustion returned immediately. :(

Have an appt. with my primary doctor on Wednesday. Not sure what we'll try now, but I'm not going back on Mirapex.

moreta

Post by Guest »

Requip - insomnia (isn't that one of the side effects of RLS?) :cry:

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I'm currently on Mirapex and Clonzapem, 1.5 mg. each at night. I've been on different doses of each--as much as 1.75 mg. Clonzapem and 3 mg. Mirapex. I also take Ambien CR and Gabitral.

Mirapex
I'm starting to experience difficulty with Mirapex. When on a higher dose, I had night terrors, insomnia and I'm sure it's caused weight gain. I would sometimes get up in the middle of the night and eat something. Now that I'm on a lower dose, I don't experience any of those side effects. However, I don't think it's as effective as it used to be and I'm thinking of going off of it (with my doctor's help, of course).

Clonzepam
On the higher dose, I was extremely sleepy, drug hangover in the morning. Sometimes would fall asleep at inappropriate places during the day. I am doing much better on 1.5 mg.

Sinamet
Had vertigo, was extremely sick to my stomach. I only took that for about a week.

Effexor XR
Extreme mood swings, gained a lot of weight in a fairly short period of time, caused panic attacks. I was only on it for about a month and had really bad withdrawal, even though I weaned off of it exactly as the doctor told me to.

Paxil
Almost identical symptoms as Effexor XR

Topamax

Did fine on 200 mg. or less. However, neuro increased dosage to 400 mg.---caused terrible mood swings and I developed a kidney stone.

I haven't tried Requip or Neurontin. I also take Vicodin as needed. I only take it at night and not every night. It seems to help--I sleep better. I have painful RLS, fibromyalgia and periphernal neuropathy.

Jan
Last edited by jan3213 on Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
No one is alone who had friends.

HJHUNTINGTON

Requip and Mirapex

Post by HJHUNTINGTON »

I was taking the Mirapex. .25 4 per day and did not seem to have any side-effects, however my sleep doctor wanted me to try the new Requip and I did. It did not do nearly as well as the Mirapex was doing and my primary care physician thinks it may have lowered my heart rate. I have gone off the Requip and am back on the Mirapex. I do not know of any side-effects that stand out, unless it is the extreme tiredness that someone mentioned earlier. I have that with both of the medications. The hot baths work well too for me.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Ann,

One list of drugs used with noticed side effects, as requested, albeit rather long :oops: . I've highlighted my current drugs in a different colour with current dosages. I've put the pharmaceutical name first followed by the trade name. Some of the trade names may be unfamiliar to some people simply coz i'm from the upside-down land of Oz. If anyone would like further clarification/information on any of the drugs/side effects listed, feel free to ask.

Cabergoline (Cabaser) - Anitparkinsonian
Current Dose: 2mg/day
    Complete loss of appetite (lost a total of 36kgs/79lbs)
    Fatigue
    Significant Hair Loss
    Low Blood Pressure
    Persistant Dry Cough (only when taking high dosage for long period)
    Lung Function Problems

Bromocriptine (Parlodel) - Antiparkinsonian
    Nausea
    Dizziness
    Low Blood Pressure
Levodopa100mg/Benserazide25mg (Madopar & Madopar Rapid) - Antiparkinsonian
    Augmentation (BIG TIME!!!)
    Nausea
    Dizziness
    Low Blood Pressure
Levodopa100mg/Carbidopa25mg (Sinemet) - Antiparkinsonian
    Augmentation (BIG TIME!!!)
    Nausea
    Dizziness
    Low Blood Pressure
Amantadine (Symmetrel) - Antiparkinsonian
    Poor Concentration
    Dry Mouth
    Anxiety
    Slurred Speech
Gabapentin (Neurontin) - Anticonvulsant
    Complete Incoordination
    Extreme Dizziness
    Extreme Nausea
Clonazepam (Rivotril) - Benzodiazepine & Anticonvulsant
Current Dose = 2mg/day
    Fatigue
    Incoordination
    Muscle Weakness
    Hair Loss
    Depression
    Irritability

Temazepam (Temtabs) - Benzodiazepine
    Slight Hangover Feeling in the Morning
Diazepam (Antenex/Valium) - Benzodiazepine
    Poor Concentration
    "Hangover" Feeling in the Morning
Zolpidem (Stilnox) - Sedative
    None Noticed
Doxepin (Sinequan) - Antidepressant
    Dizziness
    Poor Concentration
Amitriptyline (Endep) - Antidepressant
Current Dose = 20mg/day
    Dry Mouth
    Rapid Heart Rate
    Dizziness
    Poor Concentration
    Urinary Tract & Kidney Infections

Flucticasone Propionate (Flixotide) - Corticosteroid Accuhaler
Current Dose = 1 x 250mcg inhalation twice a day
    Fungal Infections of the Mouth
    (used to counteract cough caused by Cabergoline)

Amphoterecin (Fungilin) - Antifungal Lozenge
    None Noticed
    (used to counteract fungal infections caused by Flixotide)
Sulfamethoxazole800mg/Trimethoprim160mg or Co-trimoxazole (Bactrim DS) - Antibiotic
    None Noticed
    (used to counteract urinary tract & kidney infections caused by Endep)
Paracetamol500mg/Codeine Phosphate30mg (Panadeine Forte) - Narcotic/Pain Killer
Current Dose = 2 tablets/day
    Constipation

Paracetamol450mg/Codeine Phosphate9.75mg/Doxylamine Succinate5mg (Mersyndol) - Narcotic/Painkiller
    Constipation
Asprin300mg/Codeine Phosphate8mg (Aspalgin) - Narcotic/Painkiller
    Constipation
Ibuprofen200mg/Codeine Phosphate12.8mg (Nurofen Plus) - Pain Killer (NSAID)
Current Dose = as needed
    Constipation

Valeriana Officinalis (Standardised Valerian 2250) - Herbal Sedative
Current Dose = 1 x 2250mg tablet/day
    Mild "Hangover" Effect

Considering the "cocktail" that i'm on, it's sometimes hard to tell which drug is causing which side-effect. However, I have noticed overall, the most annoying side-effects are: low blood pressure (i know when it's about to happen and have to find the nearest seat), poor concentration, fatigue, short & long-term memory problems, slurred speech and one which i haven't been able to link to any particular drug is hot feet (like they're literally on fire).
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Mirapex, Carbatrol, Neurontin...
All gave me the feeling that I could throw up, bad enough that I would rather stay awake all night than take them.

Tegretol...also gives me that feeling only much milder and more controllable if I eat something when I take the medicine. Makes me sleepy sometimes. Tegretol also seems to give me headaches.

Klonopin...no side effects except sleepiness. Which is good at night time when I take it. Lasts all day.

Hydrocodone...occasional mild headaches. I have migraines, so if I already have a slight headache going, it could set off a bad one. Hydrocodone could be very addictive for me. It makes me feel physically better and more energetic than I feel normally. Sometimes it gives me the sweats, my face gets hot and my head gets cloudy at times, but it works everytime. The problem with Hydrocodone is that it doesn't last all day. In the evening I am frequently miserable till it's time to take one.

Sharon

mirapex

Post by Sharon »

mirapex
side effects are
complusive gambling
falls asleep when driving
mood swings
eating constantly during the night

judgejan

requip--side effects

Post by judgejan »

During the first few weeks of taking a full dose of Requip, I awoke with moderate to severe leg cramps at about 4 a.m. almost every morning. However, the cramps have now disappeared. The RLS isn't much improved, but I'm trying to develop a consistent schedule of exercise, meds, and bedtime to see if that helps.

Candy

Re: Side effects: Add Yours to Create a Complete List

Post by Candy »

On Requip I have horrible hallucinations. Also it makes my mouth very dry and my nose very stuffy. I feel my heart not beating properly and makes me short of breath.