ORP: our research project

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.

Should we attempt to do this?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 am

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 9

jumpyowl

Hello, Jan:

Post by jumpyowl »

Excellent! This will help a lot! :D
Jumpy Owl

becat

I ahve a question

Post by becat »

Jumyowl,
i have a quirk, I want to know if it's common among us or if it's a wive's tale.
I am an massive ICE CRUNCHER, constant if I could get away with it.
I've heard that it is a physical sign of low iron........
Does this quirk thing work into the survery or it is something that would be considered a non-pharm management thing
Ok there, I''m quirky..........who didn't already know that?

jumpyowl

IMHO

Post by jumpyowl »

Let us list everything. We can wean things later.

Your teeth must be in a good shape. :)
Jumpy Owl

jan3213

Jumpy from Jan

Post by jan3213 »

Jumpy

Glad you liked the question re food!! I'll try to think of others.

Jan

claradragon

Post by claradragon »

think this is a wonderful idea! don't know what i can contribute but i'll try. i wonder in you questionare(?) if it could be possible to find how many of us have some form of alcohol/drug dependancy?i suspect it could be quite high proportionatly(only a wild theory) :oops:

jumpyowl

To Lady in Albion!

Post by jumpyowl »

Excellent idea! I am not even sure what the proportion of drug dependency in healthy population is?! :?
Jumpy Owl

Heronak

Additional Thoughts for Survey

Post by Heronak »

Along the lines of general health, self care & fitness:

Do you exercise? If so, how often and what type (cardiovascular, weight lifting, specifics)?
Other than RLS and its affects, are you in good health?
If not, what other health problems do you have that are unrelated to RLS?
Do you eat a balanced diet?
Are you within your recommend weight range?
Do you lead a high stress life? If so, do you practice any stress reducing activities?
Have you noticed a relationship between increased stress and increased RLS symptoms?

Heron

jan3213

ORP

Post by jan3213 »

Heron

This is Jan. I just read your latest post on ORP and I think those are great questions. I think this is going to be great!

Jan

jan3213

RLS and Surgery

Post by jan3213 »

Have you ever been hospitalized after having been diagnosed with RLS and the medical personnel taking care of you did not know what RLS is?

If you have been diagnosed with RLS and were in the hospital to have some kind of surgery, while in pre-op, did you have difficulty convincing your nurses or anesthesologists that you could not take certain medications meant to put you into "twilight sleep" because they would exacerbate your RLS?

Have you ever had difficulty convincing surgeons that you could not have procedures done under local anesthesia because the medication used would cause your RLS to worsen (such as laproscopic carpal tunnel surgery)--you had to have general anesthesia instead of local anesthesia?

When you were returned to your room after leaving the recovery room, did you have difficulty convincing the nursing staff that you really needed your RLS medication immediately?

jumpyowl

Thanks!

Post by jumpyowl »

Thanks to you both for the great contributions!
Jumpy Owl

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Sorry it's taken me so long to jump on the wagon but I think this is not just a great idea to help understand RLS, Jumpy but also a great way to pull us all together. This will be a wonderful contribution, not only for RLS sufferers, but to the medical profession and society in general. I am so thankful that there are such dedicated people on this site. Do you think it would be helpful to know where geographically we are living? Seems like we come from just about everywhere. I can't wait to see how this comes together. I also vote for Jumpy's leadership but I will be glad to help in anyway I can.

Sole

Menopause

Post by Sole »

It would be interesting to find out how menopause affects RLS.
When did you start menopause (for women only, of course)?
Is there a correlation between RLS and early menopause?
I wouldn't be surprised if there's some connection as many women experience symptoms, for the first time, during pregnancy. Just an idea.
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

jumpyowl

ALSO

Post by jumpyowl »

we may as well include hysterectomy and hormonal treatments.

I would suspect they are not a big factor. Does anyone know what the gender distribution is for RLS?
Jumpy Owl

Sole

Post by Sole »

I found this short paragraph at http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/byname/r ... ndrome.htm

Sex: Although males and females are generally believed to be affected equally, a 2004 study by Berger et al showed that RLS affects women more frequently than men. In this specific study, parity was shown to be a major factor in explaining the sex difference and may guide further clarification of the etiology of the disease.

What does "parity was shown to be a major factor in explaining the sex difference" mean?
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

becat

something to think about

Post by becat »

I think menopause might be at issue for some of us women, childbirth seems to bring it on in some. And this is an iron related issue.....hormones effect EVERYTHING.......lol don't we know that's true.