STRETCHES HELP ME A GREAT DEAL

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
KathyMarie

Post by KathyMarie »

I found that doing a series of leg stretches, and holding each stretched position for at least 10 seconds, has brought great relief. I do several from the standing, then the sitting, then the lying positions. I got my inspiration after I started doing the stretches on the tape "stress relief, yoga for beginners" (deason). I developed my own routine from these, which lasts about 10-15 minutes, and do it right before I go to sleep..it's helped TREMENDOUSLY!!

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

Stretching also worked for me for years, but as my RLS got worse it now only provides very temporary relief. It's great for general health though, way to go! Best,

Heron

rls for 30 years

exercises and "isometrics" helpful

Post by rls for 30 years »

I do leg exercises during the night. Leg lifts, swings, pulses, circles (small and big ones). I have been doing this for about 6 months. It gives me very temporary relief, but enough for my legs to rest enought to get back to sleep. I also get out of bed and do deep squats. I may do these several times a night. I would rather not have to exercise intermittantly during the night, but it helps. I get alot of exercise at night. But every little bit helps.

KathyMarie

Post by KathyMarie »

The stretches I do aren't ones that require a lot of energy, no leg lifts, just yoga like....legs in different positions, apart, together, while I reach towards the ground, front, sideways,.... then streching arms to toes while sitting with legs apart, spread, then one leg at a time moved up to crotch, yoga like position, stetching forward,... then while lying I do one leg at a time brought to the chest with my hands, and then stretched across body..the thing that seems to be important for me is to hold the positions, not straining, but a comfortable stretch

KathyMarie

Post by KathyMarie »

I have 2 yoga tapes on stress relief, when my legs bother me I do one of them ,focusing on the legs stretches..works every time, and quite relaxing

Kris

Post by Kris »

stretches help me too - I like the RLS rebel idea of using bands.

I can't really WALK - I have a very bad foot problem - and that makes my rls really torture - so what I do is stretch and stretch and rub and rub and beat my legs and hip.

dfahmie

yoga for relief

Post by dfahmie »

I've been practicing anusara yoga now for 3 years and my rls has been helped greatly by using the principles of alignment inherent to anusara style yoga. I also found that a pressure relieving mattress helps too. I can't sleep as well and wake up with numbness and swelling when i don't sleep on my temperpedic.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

dfahmie,

My husband and I both found the temperpedic mattress helpful. I agree it is most helpful to do the yoga style stretching on a daily basis, not only for RLS but to keep this ole body fairly flexible! Thank you for sharing your experiences. Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Jeanie

deep squats

Post by Jeanie »

I went an Orthopedic Dr two months for the first time.

Because my feet and legs were so stiff in the mornings.

I had difficulty walking down the stairs at my normal pace.

I was worried about my arches.

I slowed down on my exercise and was limping .

After doing all sorts of X-rays and other stuff he

prescribed deep knee squats and water therapy and told me to try to start riding my bike again 3 minutes at a time.

He also said treadmill walking would be ideal.

Bike riding so very hard on my arches of my feet.

The therapist gave me stretches to do that would help my legs.

I was able to ride my bike 15 minutes today.

I have my out door mountain bike on a stand that allows me to ride it in doors.

The front wheel does not move.

Jeanie

micked

stretching

Post by micked »

I do stretching in the evening at the very beginning of my symtoms, or befoe they start if I want to watch TV, etc. Once the symtoms are very bad (during the night), it seems to be too late to help.

GaijinMama

Re: stretching

Post by GaijinMama »

micked wrote:I do stretching in the evening at the very beginning of my symtoms, or befoe they start if I want to watch TV, etc. Once the symtoms are very bad (during the night), it seems to be too late to help.

That is a good suggestion. By the time I'm frustrated and uncomfortable enough to remember to do some stretches, it is usually too late. Starting tonight I will try to do them earlier in the evening, before I get into bed, before my legs start driving me crazy.
What was that old saying about "an ounce of prevention?" :)

larry19955

Post by larry19955 »

I'm a stranger here but I have fought what appears to be RLS for 35 years.

I also have found that stretching helps, but I hold the stretch for 30 sec or longer. Also I it seemed to help more in past years than it does now.

Walking (any distance) sitting or riding for long perionds (2 hours or more makes the pain greater that night. Have others found this

larry

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Larry,

Some people find that their RLS worsens with age... from my general recollection, those who have had it all their lives, the majority remember it affecting them as a child, recall that it was not too bad or gone during their teens and twentys, usually intermittant in 30s, increasing in intensity and duration in their 40s to 50s.

In my instance that was the scenerio and in my late 40s- 50s it became daily...mine is also worse in spring through fall months.

Many experience increased RLS when exercising, over working muscles or riding for long periods of time. There is a very fine line we each have to find for ourselves in finding out how we are affected by any type of activity..

I do know that when I have to drive a couple hours or more, I do much better if I stop every half hour or so and walk some. It also helps to have music playing I enjoy so I can kind of *boogie* some!

A year or so back I participated in a exercise project sponsored by work. I was not doing too well with the RLS and it did make it worse. I also have fibro, and between the physical therapy the dr prescribed and the intense exercise I was in constant pain and the nightly rls was unbearable.

Last November my GP finally found the medication combo that has helped manage my RLS. Thanks to the support and knowledge from the others on this discussion board!

Four months ago I began to regularly exercise 1 hour daily in a more restictive manner. Walk three or four minutes, rest three or four minutes, same thing with eliptical, treadmill, weights. Started out slow with constant rest breaks. Some days I can go consistantly for 15 minutes or more on the treadmill, etc other days I can't. I just have to be very sensitive to what my limitations are from one day to the other. If I don't I know I may experience RLS breakthrough or fibro flare.

A friend who has been encouraging me asked if I felt up to the community 4th of July celebration 2 mile walk, I had some concerns as you are well aware the what ifs what if I do this will my RLS be worse ... YET I decided I'd try Of course I came in last! hahaha I knew that I could not keep up the pace of the others without paying for it later! I just sat my pace for my comfort zone, finished not feeling overworked and did not have any RLS breakthrough that night!

What has been surprising to me is the reaction from others. The place that I exercise is the same place that I have been going for massage therapy for three years. They knew about my RLS and fibro, and have asked a lot of questions. Their encouragement and support has been so heart warming. So I hope that I have helped others be aware of RLS.

Hazey
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

AndreaT

Diabetes and restless leg...

Post by AndreaT »

Hi:

I just found this site and was wondering if anyone here is a diabetic experiencing these problems? I have been a type I, brittle diabetic for 38 years and this is the first time I've experienced this sensation in the legs when trying to sleep at night. This is the only time I've had the problem--at bedtime, but I really do get quite uncomfortable... not exactly pain, but close enough to drive me to distraction.

I know that diabetics develop neurapathy and often have checked with my endocrinologist about this, but he seems to think I am very early in that complication. I'm going to try the stretches I've been reading about here and I hope they give significant relief that I don't require another medication... Thanks for any information you can provide!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Andrea, RLS is often secondary to diabetes. My BIL has iboth (and neuropathy).

You might try searching on the Internet for RLS and diabetes and see what you find.

It might be helpful to read the sticky posts in the New to RLS section. The one on managing RLS lists many non-pharm things to do, like getting your iron tested, etc.

Also, there is a thread about hypoglycemia. You might want to read it and see if anything from there might help you. http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=988&h ... poglycemia

Welcome to our group. Hope you can find a way to manage it for a long time without needing drugs.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.