RLS & sleep aids

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
cc297

RLS & sleep aids

Post by cc297 »

Hi Everyone. This is my first time here. Today, I was officially diagnosed with RLS. The dr. had suggested the possibility last year but his nurse confirmed it today.
Anyway, I know almost nothing about it. For those of you who've been diagnosed and have tried treatments, do you take sleep aids?
For those of you who DO use a sleep aid, has it helped ease anything? I mean getting a good night's sleep must help...right?
My doc prescribed a sleep aid that I'm not certain I want to try. I read the information pamphlet that came with it and the side effects could be worse than what I deal with. hehe
This will be my 3rd sleep aid...if I try it.
:?:
Have a good night y'all!!
cc

Dora

Sleep Aids

Post by Dora »

I find for myself that the over the counter sleep aid, benadryl actually, causes me to kick and twitch even more. In fact, that's why I am awake now, and on the computer!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi guys,

Check out the New to RLS section - there are two 'sticky' posts there. One of them surely has the list of medicines to avoid. Many OTC things make RLS worse, Benedryl is on the list to avoid!!!! And it is in many OTC sleep aids.

Lots of good info in those sticky posts regarding medicines in general. In the Welcome sticky, there are things you can (should) do before or in addition to taking medications.

Have fun reading - welcome!

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Not certain what sleep aid you are using. In my instance, over the years before I knew it was RLS I would use the non pharmaceutical ideas, heat packs, massage, cold packs, showers, etc. Then exhausted I'd ask the dr for something to help me sleep and he prescribed Ambien.

It never helped at that point, probably because I did not take it before the symtoms started. I would go through the routine, then decide okay none of this is working take the ambien.

So much I needed to learn I found through the posts on this site.

It is possible that taking the sleep med a couple hours before your symptoms kick in might be helpful for you.

**********Sweet Dreams********** Hazel

JJ

Sleep aids for rls

Post by JJ »

I would recommend not taking a sleep aid if possible. My dad thought he had insomnia and participated in sleep clinics many years ago. He was on many sleep meds. They finally diagnosed him with RLS and he has been on drugs for yrs. He is now in his 70's. Now he is too fearful to not take his meds at night thinking he may not sleep. It's a vicious cycle. :?:

rachelto

Benadryl

Post by rachelto »

For me Benadryl makes my RLS 10 times worse, so does any over the counter cold medicines, like niquil, sudafed, cough meds, etc... they make it so much worse.
Ambien and Neurontin have both worked for me.

Dottie51

sleeping aids

Post by Dottie51 »

I have had rls for 20 years. I have tried everything. I am currently trying to get of Stalevo. The drugs do not work for me and I am tired of their side effects. I can't concentrate, I can't read. I do get accupuncture. She is helping me detox from the meds. My neurologist truly believes that drugs will help, we just have to find the right ones. I am tired of taking drugs. I am willing to see what happens if I take nothing. I have not slept more than a few hours for a very long time. There is a history of addiction in my family, so I am staying away from sleep aids. Ambien gives my a hang over. I was on mirapex and started gambling. Now there is information out there that Mirapex and other drugs may contribute to compulsive disorders. I wish I had known this sooner. I stopped taking the Mirapex and no longer gamble. This is a little know side effect of many of the drugs used for Parkinson disease. Please be careful if your doctor prescribes these for you. Ask questions. If there is a history of addiction in your family do not take Mirapex. Save yourself some heart ache.

My neurologist is a very fine doctor. She just doesn't focus on the side effects of the drugs she prescribes. A lot of doctors are like this. Be careful and ask questions.