Augmentation

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Jenne1950

Augmentation

Post by Jenne1950 »

I saw my new sleep doctor today for the first time. He has forgotten more than my neurologist ever knew about sleep disorders!

I'm going to have to change my Requip to bedtime only to avoid augmentation. He warned me I'd have some rough times but the body has to be without the Requip so that it helps at bedtime, and hopefully that will carry over into the day.

I'm not looking forward to the daytime heeby jeebies to hit. I was spending 24 hrs. a day stomping and kicking before the Requip; not every day but at least 2 days a week. I'm getting tired right now, which usually brings on the RLS and PLMD. Wish me luck!
Jenny

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Sending you luck and some ********Positive Energy*********

Would you or your doctor consider trying Ultram/Tramadol or possibly hydrocodone/Lortab during the day? That is what I have been using for my daily RLS and it has been quite affective.

Best of LUCK! Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

I had a horrible morning! I was so tired I was sleeping standing up trying to walk off the heebie jeebies and jerking in my legs. I gave in. I took the Requip. Then an alternative solution popped in my head. Since I get the spells during the day when I am tired, I may have to increase my caffeine that I worked so hard to get down to 2 cups of coffee a day, half of it decaf. Tomorrow, if it hits me I'll have a cup of regular coffee and see if I can avoid the Requip. Only the second day and I folded!
Jenny

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Jenny

I'm so sorry your RLS is so terrible! Believe me, it must be something in the air!!!! I had a horrible night last night. And, right now, I can feel it coming back. It's getting worse.

I wish you sleep, my friend!!! I hope you get some help. Otherwise, southern Illinois won't be safe with TWO of us in this condition! <joking> I walked this morning--got a little over a mile in--and did half of it in my sleep (almost!).

Thinking of you............

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

[iIf my back will let me, walking for awhile does seem to help; the day I saw the doctor and walked all over the hospital, I was able to do without the daytime Requip. I take Ultracet (Tramadol plus Tylenol) every day for my back, and it doesn't seem to help my legs at all. As for Vicodin, that's like asking for heroin here. [/i]
Jenny

Post by Guest »

Sending some heebee jeebee beegone energy to Jan and Jenne! :lol: Froggy this morning.... storms are building.

Way to go Jan, keep putting on those miles!

Jenne, Would they consider prescribing just the Tramadol without the tylenol? I don't know do some people have problems with tylenol?

Reminders like this, makes me feel very fortunate to have a doctor who is willing to work with me and trusts my judgement. They are difficult to find.

Hazel

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

I finally slept off and on during the night and much of today. I know it's impossible to make up for all I've lost, but it certainly feels good to try to make up for it!

Many wishes for peacefuly sleep for all!
Jenny

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

I fell asleep about 10, got up twice between then and 1, and slept the rest of the night. I almost feel normal! I may need a morning nap, though!
Jenny

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Jenne :)

Good to hear that you feel so good!

Have been following your posts, but must apologise for being so slack & not responding to you earlier. You've been getting some excellent support here though!

BTW ... nothing wrong with a "power nap" here & there. I sometimes crash for an hour or so when I get home from work in the early afternoons.

Take care of you & keep on keeping us posted!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey Jenny---So glad you got some good rest last night. My night was better, too.

Nadia, I do find that power naps help, if I can stand to lie down. Sometimes, I fall alseep and feel as though I've been sleep forever, only to realize that it's been less than an hour. Never could do that before. They rejuvenate me for awhile. :)

I'm going to continue walking. It helps the stiffness. Jenny is so right, thought. Getting Vicodin around here IS like asking for heroin.

Hazel, thanks for your never ending "positive thoughts". The can't hurt! :)

Love to all
Jan

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

I've been doing well on the Requip, but had a rough time today during the day. I had to take Requip; my husband was disturbed by the amount of pain I was having.

I'm taking this one day at a time, till the day it no longer works at all.
Jenny

becat

Post by becat »

HI Jenn,
Honey if the Requip is not addressing the pain than maybe you should add something for that.
You will not believe what painfree time will do for your life.
Nope I'm no doc, but without pain I function more normally life " normal" people. LOL
Hang in there.
We're listening.
Lynne

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Jenn,

Lynne is so right, what a pain free break does for one's attitude. I am so sorry you are having a bad time. How well we can all relate to that! When I have a good day I am very thankful. Somedays I am thankful for a good hour or so!

Right now I am thankful I have a dr who is willing to treat my RLS with hydrocodone and tramadol ...

Not certain I'll ever achieve life as a normal person! LOL It is a good goal to have!

************Positive Thoughts and Healing Energy************

I could use a power nap about now! Had a good nights sleep wednesday when I took the Ambien CR, took it again last night and couldn't sleep. Just goes with my theory that nothing works all of the time!

Sending thoughts of hope to all, Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I wish I had your doc, Hazel. My doc acts like hydrocodene is a street drug and I'm selling it. lol When I ask my PCP for pain meds, she says I can stand it. I'd like to see her experience the days and nights I do (or Jenn does). Or just pick a name--we are many! I'm thinking right now how much I could use a pain pill. Oh well..........

Have a good Easter, eveyrone!

Hugs
Jan

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

My dear Jannie, Oh How I pray that you and Jenne will find relief. Honestly I am ashamed that I whine and moan... it could be so much worse. Last year when I was searching for a dr who would listen & read the Mayo Algorithm, I did not think I could make it to another appointment.

It was the encouragement of Lynne, Ann, you included, and others that helped me to keep going. It is never easy and I know that quidelines and such vary from state to state, yet I would think that someone there must be understanding.

At the time I was searching, a dr in Kansas was being investigated for over prescribing pain killers - initiated by the family of a woman who was an addict and overdosed, however her background was hidden from the doctor. During the investigation a multitude of his patients came forward in his defense. The investigation determined that the dr was not at fault.

It is instances like this that make physicians leary. However, there is a time and a need for such medications. It is doctors, like this man, who are willing to work with their patients and believe in their integrity who I am truly thankful for. Even after all the mental and physical anquish he must have under gone, he says he believes in the right of his patients to have a better quality of life.

I am rowing madly stirring up hope that one day soon you will find a doctor who demands that you have a better quality of life. In fact I am duct taping a motor to this boat and we will get this hope churning!

One day soon, I can see it, you will find help.

You all have a good Easter and no matter what, never give up!

Love Hazel