Requip Side Effects

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
doooju40

Requip Side Effects

Post by doooju40 »

I just started taking requip about a week ago and am now at .50 mg. 1-3 hours before bed. It kicks in fast and makes me very tired, but I cannot go to sleep. Sleep being the problem to begin with, along with RLS, this is bothering me a great deal. So, I have to take Ambien as well. Is this something my body will adjust to and grow out of soon?

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

My experience with Requip included the inability to go to sleep. Does the Ambien help? Are you able to stay asleep with the Ambien?

Hopefully someone will be able to answer your questions in more detail.

In the meantime, welcome to the group. You will find a wealth of information and some of the best support that a person could ask for.

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Requip does have a side effect of causing of insomnia :( . Side effects are so personal there is no knowing what will happen over time.

You could try to take less - what happened when you took .25 mg? Same thing? If it doesn't cause insomnia at a lower dose, you could try that for a couple of weeks and if your RLS is still acting up, add 1/2 of a pill for a week or two, then the second half, etc until you are at a dose that works. Some people find that increasing their dose very slowly works best at eliminating side effects.

You could also try Mirapex instead. If Requip controls your RLS at 50 mg, it's possible .125 to Mirapex will. The side effects are different between then, though they work similarly on RLS.

Hope that information helps some.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Recovered memory after reading Ann's comments!

I started requip at the .25 doseage and it was the starter packet. The insomnia was intense when I went to the .50. After several days, I think it was four or five at .50 the doctor had me reduce the doseage to .25 ... the RLS sensations returned upon lowering the dose. Just my 2 cents!

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

SweetAdeline

Post by SweetAdeline »

I am on the starter pack (just moved to 1mg) of Requip, and I've found that Clonzepam (Klonopin) does help me in falling asleep...but I wanted to ask if anyone else has gotten naseau in the morning after taking Requip and hallucinations before falling asleep? Both of these have been happening to me.
Thanks!

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Nausea is one of the side affects of Requip. Some have said that taking it with food has helped. Some have reported that after a while the nausea went away.

I can't say I had hallucinations, but I did have vivid dreaming while using the Requip. After a short while I was unable to sleep at all.

While I was on Klonopin - I slept, but my husband said I did not sleep well, that I talked continually and would scream every 20 minutes through the night. I knew I never felt rested. A woman I know did experience hallucinations with the Klonopin. She continued to take it and her husband was resolved to the fact that she would entertain aliens, and gargoyles during the night.

Hazel

SweetAdeline

Post by SweetAdeline »

Thanks for your input!
I've been on the Klonopin for about 3 years for unrelated issues, and I think the combo of Requip and KP has given me the hallucinations. Also, I've been getting very VERY vivid unusual Jean Pierre Jeunet-film like dreams.

Orcaholic2001

Post by Orcaholic2001 »

Hi im new! My RLS started in therapy.. it actually started when my doctor put me on prescription vitamins which im no longer taking. But i been on klonopin for 2 years for unrelated problems & have had no problems with it. I got that requip starter kit too and took my first pill 4 days ago & still having side effects from it & i only took 1 pill! Everything i eat makes me feel so sick that i havent been eating and i have to go to the doctor tomorrow because they said they will give me a shot that wont make me feel so sick till the requip is out of my system.

:(

IrishNorris65

Brand New to RLS

Post by IrishNorris65 »

I was just diagnosed last night with RLS. My boss didn't think I would be diagnosed with it because she and her relatives have it and it's very painful for them. I didn't have a clue that this was a problem for me until I had a sleep study done and found out that my legs were twitching 22 times an hour average causing me to only get about 16 minutes of REM sleep - not good. I stay exhausted and thought it was some sort of deficiency. I was surprised to learn that it was RLS. Do I understand correctly that there are different forms where pain is involved in some and not in others? I've always had a hard time keeping my legs still. I just thought that was "my way" and now my dr is telling me that that's all part of this condition. It feels like my legs are needing to move around for circulation reasons or something - can't hardly describe it. Just know that it's uncomfortable for them to stay in one position. Was really surprised to learn they were keeping me "awake" at night. I've been put on Requip. Didn't experience anything this morning and I think I slept a little last night, but I'm still very tired - as usual. :?

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Irish, RLS does not have to be painful. Sorry you have RLS, but if you are looking for information and support you have found a wonderful support group. Be sure to check out the New to RLS section and read through the posts, in particular medications that can make RLS worse.

Looking forward to hearing more about you.

************Positive Thoughts***********

Hazel

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Irish,

My guess is that there is a little difference in terminology, too. Hazel is absolutely right that RLS can be painful or not.

But RLS doesn't happen while sleeping too much. When it happens, you immediatly awaken and cannot go back to sleep until it's resolved. Movements at night while sleeping that don't awaken you completely (or at all) are called periodic limb movements or PLMs, and the disorder is called periodic limb movement disorder or PLMD. Many people have PLMD but it doesn't awaken them like it is awakening you. They don't need medication since it doesn't affect their sleep.

Sounds to me like you have PLMD and it's keeping you from getting sleep. That's exactly what I started out with, too.

RLS happens when you are awake and keeps you from getting to sleep at all. It includes a sensation that can be creepy, crawly, painful, pulling, electrical or a combination of any of those. When you feel the sensation, you feel you need to move the affected body part - it can happen in any body part, too. The movement relieves the sensation. It tends to happen more at night and when at rest, such as watching TV, trying to sleep, or just sitting on the couch relaxing.

The treatment for RLS and PLMD is similar and the same drugs are used.

I'm curious - did the doctor say you had RLS? Or the sleep techs?

Welcome to our group!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

I've been on Requip since March, 06. I have never had a problem getting to sleep, it pretty much knocks me out.

The only problem I'm having is my stomach hurts after I take it, and it last until midmorning. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow morning to talk to the doctor about it. I'm taking 3mg a day.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

So glad that it is helping you get some sleep! Hopefully the GI problems are not too severe and within time you will no longer experience this. Keeping my fingers crossed and rowing with the others stirring up hope that this side affect goes away soon!

Hazel

coaster

Post by coaster »

I just dumped Requip and went back to Mirapex because of the side effects. I took it for about six weeks and the final dosage was 2 mg four times a day. That level did control my RLS, but the other side effects were unpleasant and didn't diminish with time.