Mirapex

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Jumpy, way back when this board started, I tired to find out if anyone else had tired, tense legs in the mornings. So I am interested that you take Mirapex in the am as well as at night. Right now, I am limiting the Mirapex to nighttime and have stayed at 0.5 mg for quite awhile. Do you think it would be okay to use the Mirapex occasionally in the mornings without it causing a boomerang in the evenings? I don't have this feeling every morning. I have had vivid dreams all my life so it is interesting to read about what Mirapex does to some people. I'll probably dream about an entire farm of bears tonight since reading the previous posts! I hope those of you who are not sleeping well can find rest soon. Since we have all had that problem (or are having it now) we understand and only wish you the best.

jumpyowl

Mirapex twice?

Post by jumpyowl »

I am not sure, Ruby. I do not think it would boomerang but again there is such a thing as refractive RLS (see the Mayo study Algorithm in Heronak's thread.)

I guess one has to experiment. :roll:
Jumpy Owl

Anonymous

Mirapex

Post by Anonymous »

I just started taking Mirapex 2 nights ago. The first night I took .125, and it worked great...but last night I needed to bump it up to .25

I can't imagine using this during the daytime though. Approx. 45min-1 hour after taking it I am completely lost in sleep. My DH tried to wake me up last night after I took the second dosage (the first one didn't work too well, so I had permission from the doctor to bump it up if needed). DH said I would not wake up...he said I moaned and grumbled but I wouldn't wake up. I don't remember that.

This morning I feel naussous with a slight headache (had that yesterday too...but I was in a car accident Monday morning and hurt my neck, so the headache could be from that too). I really don't feel like 'myself' today...I hope the lower dosage works for me because I don't like feeling "drugged" all day.

LOL..the first night I took the mirapex I was sooooooooo thrilled to have my legs and arms be "quiet" that I couldn't sleep! I was just soooooo amazed I could be in bed and not have my legs and arms feel so weird and jumpy! *yay*

I wanted to ask...when you are taking mirapex (or any other drug for RLS) have you felt the RLS...well, I'm not sure how to desribe it...but to me it felt like background noise...like the RLS was still there...I could feel it...but it was like it was waiting for the drug to wear off. Okay, that sounds weird...but the RLS was still there...but it's like it couldn't DO anything...but I could feel my legs WANTING to act up but they didn't. Weird, huh? When I took the .25 mirapex I didn't experience that.

I really can't stand how nauseuos I feel taking this stuff. Any idea if it gets better in time?

Rita

Sole

Re: Mirapex

Post by Sole »

fussybird wrote:I just started taking Mirapex 2 nights ago. The first night I took .125, and it worked great...but last night I needed to bump it up to .25

I can't imagine using this during the daytime though. Approx. 45min-1 hour after taking it I am completely lost in sleep. My DH tried to wake me up last night after I took the second dosage (the first one didn't work too well, so I had permission from the doctor to bump it up if needed). DH said I would not wake up...he said I moaned and grumbled but I wouldn't wake up. I don't remember that.

This morning I feel naussous with a slight headache (had that yesterday too...but I was in a car accident Monday morning and hurt my neck, so the headache could be from that too). I really don't feel like 'myself' today...I hope the lower dosage works for me because I don't like feeling "drugged" all day.

LOL..the first night I took the mirapex I was sooooooooo thrilled to have my legs and arms be "quiet" that I couldn't sleep! I was just soooooo amazed I could be in bed and not have my legs and arms feel so weird and jumpy! *yay*

I wanted to ask...when you are taking mirapex (or any other drug for RLS) have you felt the RLS...well, I'm not sure how to desribe it...but to me it felt like background noise...like the RLS was still there...I could feel it...but it was like it was waiting for the drug to wear off. Okay, that sounds weird...but the RLS was still there...but it's like it couldn't DO anything...but I could feel my legs WANTING to act up but they didn't. Weird, huh? When I took the .25 mirapex I didn't experience that.

I really can't stand how nauseuos I feel taking this stuff. Any idea if it gets better in time?

Rita

Hi Rita. So you had your Dr.'s appointment. I'm glad he/she was willing to help you.

We have similar experiences with Mirapex. I started taking it 3 weeks ago or so. I started out taking .125mgs once at night. I have gradually increased the dose. I am currently taking .5 mgs in the late morning/early afternoon hours and between .5mgs and 1mg an hour before bed, depending on how my day went.

It sounds like you may be increasing your dose a little too rapidly. When I jumped from .5 to 1 mg I got extremely sick to my stomach and felt drugged the whole next day. And the fact that you DH couldn't wake you up convinces me even more that you might want to consider your second night a fluke and go back to the lower dose for a few days.

One of the reasons I take a dose during the day is to keep the medicine in my system. That way, the larger dose I take at night isn't such a shock to my system. It seems to be working as I haven't been sick to my stomach in a week. Maybe that's something for you to consider.

You mention having the sensation of your legs wanting to act up but they don't. I've experienced the very same thing. Some other's here have also reported that feeling. So no, you're not crazy at all. :-) It's like the RLS is just under the surface begging to come out but the medicine keeps it in check. A very odd feeling indeed.

I'm so glad you found, at least, one night of much needed rest! Keep us posted on how the Mirapex is working for you.
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

Anonymous

Thank you Sole...

Post by Anonymous »

Perhaps I did increase it too quickly, so I will take your suggestion and ease back off it for awhile. Being nauseous is definately not something I'm enjoying!

I still can't imagine taking this during the day. Does the drowsiness side effect wear off at some time or something?

Rita

Sole

Post by Sole »

I can only speak from personal experience. When I took too much too fast, I felt very groggy the next day. So, for me, taking smaller doses twice a day has worked better.

One of the listed side effects IS daytime grogginess. I think it just takes some trial and error in the dosage and some time for your body to adjust. Once I started taking smaller doses twice a day, the grogginess lifted. But like I said, it's just one person's experience.

I know that's not much help. :-)
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi, this is Jan

I take Mirapex, 1 mg. 2 x daily, BUT I take both tabs at bedtime because I experienced daytime drowsiness so badly I would fall asleep driving and my doctor advised me to take both at night. I have been on Mirapex for several years. I believe I started at .125 mgs. and gradually increased to the dosage I'm on now. I've always had an active dream life (when I ACTUALLY GET SOME SLEEP), so I really don't notice any difference. I also take 2 mg. Clonazepam at night. Some of you have heard this over and over (sorry). Believe it or not, I still don't sleep very well. I get maybe 4 or 5 hours a night. But, I am 56 (soon to be 57) and you don't require as much sleep when you get older, so maybe that's it. Neither medication makes me nauseated, but they really help my RLS (at least right now). Every few years, my meds have to be readjusted--or at least that's the way it has been so far. Just thought I'd add my two cents--for what it's worth. Take care!!!

Hope all of you get some ZZZZZZZs

Jan

bonnie

Mirapex and clonzapam

Post by bonnie »

My first post. I was so glad to see the Mirapex discussions. My Neurologists prescribed Mirapex. I took it, with a little success. Then just a few days ago, I found a site talking about how you are supposed to take it 90 minutes to 2 hours before going to bed!! What a difference that makes. Now for the first time in many months, I have gone to sleep like a "normie".

The Sinemet gave me rebound RLS during the day. Sometimes I would take "Requip" for the daytime RLS. Meetings are the worst. I am out of Requip samples I was given so I will start taking the clonzapam during the day.

I tried Neurotin, which did nothing. I was on Clonzapam for about 4 years, first 1/2 tab, then progresses up to 2 tabs. I have been working with the Mirapex for about 6 months.....and since I now know how to use it, I might have better luck.

Are there lists somewhere which shows any other physical problems or medications people take? Do we have any commonalities? Perhaps there is a profile somewhere.

I am a diabetic on an insulin pump. I belong to an insulin pumpers on line forum. We do have profiles - and it is so interesting to see how many folks have various autoimmune problems.

However, I have had RLS since 1962 and it has progressed to bouts several times a day, worst of course, at night.

Someone in my office just told me that it has been recently discovered that RLS is caused by a neurotransmitter in the brain maifunctioning. Hmmmm, I will go and read.
Thanks so much for being here. Bonnie Richardson, Mooresville, AL
Bonnie from Bama

becattx

Hi Bonnie

Post by becattx »

Hi Bonnie,
So glad you found us. I'm a lifer with RLS. What a great post you left.

Yes, we have a sorta profile going on. My bio is on page 1 of the NEW/CURRENT MEMBERS Help thread in the New To RLS section. We would love for you to fill out a bio for us. It helps in a couple of ways, one I hope we are still working on a new questionare/ compiled data for the medical community based on us.....the people that suffer.
We also are trying to use this that thread as a profile until the RLS site allows us to expand our profiles.
I too am on Mirapex, for over 2 years now......I have rebound and resist taking a heavier dose, unless I have to. That's just me.
There are as many reason for RLS as there are symptoms. Our bodies do not use iron in a proper way. Thus, our ferritn (brain iron) in usually low. Some people come about it by way of surgery or injury. Like me some others were born with it, it's genetic. That's why we're trying to make a change for ourselves here. Not waiting on the medicals to catch up to us.

Please read everything you can. There are other websites that target sleep and RLS. You are better off educating yourself, as that is our best defense. You may want to check out the Pharm thread, many interesting things going on there too.
Kepp us posted, share if you like, and welcome to our group.

jumpyowl

Welcome Bonnie from Boma

Post by jumpyowl »

Thank you for telling us your experiences. You are right on the dot about profiles we are trying to do something similar. Take a look at the open forum on the topic "HELP WANTED started by Bcat. We do not have a form to fill out yet because I am trying to make it flexible and not too compartmentalized but is coming.

I discovered only a few months ago that I have paresthesia and since then I tried the following:

1. hydrocodone only; once a day one pill in the evening at 5mg/500 mg strength. It helped but I had to increase the dose to twice a day at 10mg/325 mg strength.

Since I had pain, and had a sleep test that showed that I have severe Leg Periodic Leg Movement during slow wave sleep (stage 4 and 5) the next medication logically had to be neurontin which is effective for nerve pain.

2, The doctor put me on Neurontin at 300 mg to be titrated up to 600 mg once in the evening. I took hydrocodone also. When I increased the dosage (doubled it actually) I started to have augmentation and the rebound effect. I also discovered by studying clinical trial protocols that one should never double the dose and take it at once. When spread to twice a day in the morning and the evening it worked better. Still shadow side effects and change in the type of pain made me wary.

3. I wanted to take a dopamine agonist, not Sinemet, which works differently and has bad side effects, but a true dopamine agonist of the non-ergotic type, Mirapex. Started with 0.25 mg one a day. The titrated it up to 0.25 mg twice a day. I still had to take hydrocodone with it at the 10 mg/325mg strength. I have not tried Requip yet which seems to be similar to Mirapex but probably similar enough to be compatible.

As an aside when I stopped neurontin cold and started Mirapex I had the weirdest vertigo for two days which petered out after that.

4. I wanted to exchange Hydrocodone to another pain medication, mainly to find out whether the paresthesia I have is a withdrawal syndrome of the codein derivative in Hydrocodone. So I started on Ultram 50 mg twice a day together with Mirapex at 0. 25 mg twice a day. I discontinued hydrocodone for the first time.

5.The result was a huge flare up of paresthesia. I had to resume taking hydrocodone again, albeit I started to decrease the dosage ot half of 10 mg/325 mg twice a day and I upped Mirapax to 0.5 mg twice a day.

I fall asleep in the evening readily but wake up after 4-5 hours of sleep. If I get up, I need sleep in the afternoon. I just did that. Woke up and got up at 3:30 AM. Took Mirapax and Ultram and went to work. I went to bed again at 11 am after taking an exotic sleeping draught that ensures stage 4 and 5 sleep. At 3 pm I woke up with a severe paresthesia. You see it was eleven hours after I took my first dose of MX and UL.

I took again Mirapax and Ultram but by mistake also took 0.5 mg Klonopin. I am keeping with me a Hydrocodone pill but will not take it until the evening if I can manage. And it will only be half a pill. If I keep busy I might make it.

Sorry I was going into detail but this is where I am now. It appears I need hydrocodone more than Ultram, but I want to see if I get off Hydrocodone and will be clear of it, whether the paresthesia will subside without Hydrocodone.

However in the evening it will be my third dose of Mirapax and Ultram. :(

How much Mirapex were you taking? Taking it earlier before the symptoms start is definitely a plus. We all found that out. :)

About the neurotransmitter you heard about, it would not be dopamine by any chance? :wink:

Perhaps you can give us a hand with the profiles by writing an outline. It could be for insulin, I would be mostly interested in the organization of it?

I am glad you decided to join us so to speak and I hope wou will keep posting.
Jumpy Owl

Heronak

Mirapex Update & Dreams

Post by Heronak »

Started .125 mg Mirapex before bedtime 6 weeks ago. I'm sleeping well for the most part, and have not had much in the way of RLS symptoms IF I take the Mirapex an hour before bed. Unfortunately I often forget and then have about an hour of RLS before sleep.

Daytime sleepiness has diminished also, which I'm grateful for - falling asleep at my computer was becoming a problem!

The intense dreams continue, mostly good ones. It occured to me the other day that perhaps it isn't a chemical side effect of the Mirapex, but the fact that I'm actually SLEEPING again, and able to get to REM sleep on a regular basis. I do love a good dream.

That's all for now,

Heron

Sole

Re: Mirapex Update & Dreams

Post by Sole »

Heronak wrote:.....The intense dreams continue, mostly good ones. It occured to me the other day that perhaps it isn't a chemical side effect of the Mirapex, but the fact that I'm actually SLEEPING again, and able to get to REM sleep on a regular basis. I do love a good dream.

That's all for now,

Heron

Heron,

I came to the same conclusion. It's been so long since I got any real sleep, I'd forgotten that I've always had veru vivid dreams. I'm back to talking loudly in my sleep. It bugs my hubby to death but he's pleased that I'm back to sleeping again. Unlike you, I don't like my dreams. They're nightmares, for the most part but over the years, I've been able to control them to a certain extent. I'm pretty good at waking myself up, when the dreams get too frightening. Bad thing is, they start right back up when I go back to sleep.

Another thing I find interesting is that since I started sleeping again, I can't sleep past 5:30 am. I'm not complaining though. It gives me some much needed quiet time in the mornings. I just find it interesting that I've never been an ealry morning person and now, all of the sudden, I'm wide awake so early.

Glad to hear the Mirapex is working for you. I've had to increase my dosage to .5mgs in the early afternoon and 1 mg at night. But it's working to keep the RLS under control.
Sole

Heronak

Increase Mirapex

Post by Heronak »

The RLS has been bad this past week, no big changes in lifestyle, just crappy nights with a wild left leg (the one that's had 9 knee surgeries, go figure). I've been taking .125 mg Mirapex but have had to supplement it with temazapam to get any sleep, but don't like the idea of taking it nightly.

I'll try upping the Mirapex dose to .25 for a few nights to see what happens, and will post the results.

Heron

Sole

Post by Sole »

Heron,

Wow, I'm surprised you're still on such a low dose. I think it's great that it has worked this long. I'm up to .5 during the day and 1mg before bed. Hopefully, I'll be able to stay at this dose for a long time. Thanks for the update. Let me know how the higher dose works for you.

Oh, I did notice that the higher dose did make my stomach sick for the first couple days. It went away though.
Sole

jumpyowl

Mirapex, Oh!

Post by jumpyowl »

I just noticed that I have three 1/2 tablets (0.5 mg = tablet), and my refill date is not until September 13. Clearly I was taking one tablet twice a day in most of the days. I was prescribed 0.5 mg tablet once a day.

Mirapex once a day does not do it for me, I have to take it twice a day. The dose is less important. two half tablet for a day taken twice is better that one whole tablet only in the evening.

I was just getting ready to call the sleep technician for a new prescription. I also noticed that they gave me 10x refills. Almost a hwole year's worth. :shock:
Jumpy Owl