ANYONE NEW PLEASE ANSWER

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
knoxwebbj

New to RLS

Post by knoxwebbj »

Hello All:

I have sent a few of you a message or two, and I think I have figured out how to use the sight now. Thanks a bunch!

I have know for a while that I have RLS, just did not know what it was called. Saw my Doctor just yesterday, and must say I am a little disappointed. She prescribed Requip, and I just don't see how trying to stop the movements is going to help me at all. Moving them is what makes them feel better. I can make my legs be still if I just force myself to, but they just get too uncomfortable if I do; the longer I am still the worse it gets.

Has anyone had any luck with Requip? Is there anything els?
Jamie,
Adult with ADHD

blryan

Post by blryan »

Requip stops the creepy crawly feeling of having to move your legs. It is blessed relief to be able to go to bed and not have to move your legs. My problem is more spasms and jerks than creepy crawly but I've had both sensations. For me, it takes 3mg of Requip to stop the spasms. It only took 1mg to stop the creepy crawly feeling I got on an airplane a few months ago. It has definitely helped me - now if I could just STAY asleep! I wake up at 3am and can't get back to sleep most nights.
BLR

ctravel12

anyone new please answer

Post by ctravel12 »

Requip has definitely helped my legs at night. I agree with the part of staying asleep. I would go asleep right away; however would only sleep for about 1-2 hrs and then be awake for the better part of the night. I finally went to see my dr yesterday and she gave me samples of sleeping pills. My dr said it takes about a week to work into your system. Did not want to give me anything that had alot of side effects and could also take them with Requip.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

blryan

Post by blryan »

Charlene,
Which sleeping pill? My doc gave me samples of Rozerem but I tried it for 2 nights and still woke up throughout the night. I figured it wasn't doing me any good so no since in adding yet another medication. I don't know if it's the kind that takes awhile to get in your system but I don't think so.
BLR

ctravel12

anyone new please answer

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Blr, I am taking Rozerem and just took my first pill last night. My dr told me that it takes about 1 week to get into your system. I also did not sleep through the night; however I did go back to sleep most of the time. She gave me a sample packet for two weeks and if this does not work I am to go back and see her then. I know when I got home I checked on the internet and it says it works right away but according to my dr it does not. I hope that this helps you. I am with you and hope that it works soon. My dr suggested this one as she says it does not have alot of the side effects and can also take it with Requip.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

blryan

Post by blryan »

Wow, thanks for the heads up - maybe I did not give it enough of a chance. I too, was able to go back to sleep while using it, but would just rather be able to sleep clear through without waking up at all! I only have 10 left of the samples.

Thanks again for the info!
BLR

ctravel12

anyone new please answer

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi BLR, you are welcome. I hope this works for the both of us.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

paigem

Post by paigem »

I've been seeing the new medicine ads on TV and my RLS has gotten worse. Don't think there's a correlation :lol: but I thought there might be more info out there now that I see the adds. I've known about RLS for years but I've been successful in ignoring it (mine is mild, only at night, not all the time and manageable with lavender/valerian aromatherapy, drink water before bed, deep breathing and mental exercises). Right now it is worse because I've stepped up my work out routine.

Elin

new to rls....recently acquired symptoms

Post by Elin »

Hello, I found your website after doing a general search under "rls". I am new to rls as it was brought on my a back injury. It absolutely sucks and I'm trying to find some relief. I have no health insurance so I must stay away from prescriptions that have no generic.

threnody44

Post by threnody44 »

I also did a general search under rls and found this site. I had been taking quinine for leg/arm/body jerks and leg cramps during the night. It turned into more rls symptoms, so presently I am taking low dose of Mirapex. Symptoms seem to be getting worse tho, just upped the med, so will wait and see.

With all my other medical problems, physical and mental (100% disabled), this rls is far and above the worse. I also have a 13-yr-old daughter who has been having problems getting to sleep lately :(

I would like to thank tazzer for responding to my YIM and a big thank you to becat for all the help getting me signed up here after some problems.

"One day, someone showed me a glass of water that was half full. He said, "Is it half full or half empty?" So, I drank the water. No more problem"

thren
Disabled Gulf War Vet

becat

Post by becat »

We're just glad to have you here with us. Sorry that it had to be RLS that brought us all together.
You let your daughter know that there are many people on this board pushing for good changes in the community and the medical community.
You are just so very welcome for getting you onto the board. No Problem.
This board has for me and many others, become a home, a safe and secure place where we are understood without even knowing it.
Glad to have you here finally.
Post at will my dear.
Lynne

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hello and Welcome to paigem, Elin and threnody44 (and all of the rest of you)--

As Becat said, I'm so sorry you all have rls, but am so glad that you found us. This place has indeed become a safe haven for many of us. I've been a member for over two years and I still find comfort and support here all the time.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions, or just vent any time you feel like it. That's what we are here for. We all learn from each other, so please share any experiences you may have had with RLS--good or bad--as much as you are comfortable with. Even us "oldtimers" need to learn more and more.

I hope all of you find the forum helpful, useful and supportive.

Wishing you all nights of peaceful rest.
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

johnto6

Post by johnto6 »

I typed in RLS on my browser just to see what might pop up, and your site did. I am very grateful for that.

becat

Post by becat »

So glad you made here John.
Enjoy, read everthing, andh post as you wish to. We're family here. All in the same boat and we take turns rowing. Stock up on oars and duct tape, we always run low on those items.LOL
Welcome home John,
Lynne

Capsfan

Post by Capsfan »

I am a "newbie". I found this message board by searching online. My RLS has gotten so bad recently that I started searching out causes. I have a doctors appt. with my family doctor tomorrow. I NEED SOME SLEEP.