SURGERY DATE SCHEDULED -- MEDICAL ALERT CARD

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
jan3213

SURGERY DATE SCHEDULED -- MEDICAL ALERT CARD

Post by jan3213 »

I'm posting this under a new thread because there may be some of you who would like to know the date of my back surgery, and it might be too buried under the other thread.

And, I'm posting it under General RLS because anytime we have surgery, it's so very important to give everyone a Medical Alert Card listing all of the meds we cannot take and those that can be sutstituted.

My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, September 12. In case some of you haven't read, I don't have four herniated discs---I have seven. One is in my lumbar spine and the neuro surgeon says that one doesn't have to be repaired. However, the other six are in my thoracic spine---T1-2 through T11-12.

I'll have spinal fusion--titanium rods and screws will be used as well as a bone graft from bone taken from my right hip.

Dr. P said I am the first person he's ever seen with that many herniated discs.

I will be in the hospital for at least four days--hopefuly that will be all. I'll have to wear a back brace for four months---anytime I'm not in bed. Recuperation will be long and some of it will be hard, but I've met several of Dr. P's patients who have had back surgery and they are doing great. Of course, each surgery is different.

Just tought I'd let you all know. I have a lot of friends on this forum who might not be aware of this.

Again, I want to reiterate how important it is that anyone undergoing any kind of procedure speak to all medical personall involved before any procedure is started, give them a copy of the Medical Alert Card, make sure it is attached to your chart(s), and tell them you are a special needs patient. I've had a few bad experiences because I wasn't careful enough in the past.

Even though this is going to be tough for me, I hope my particular experience may be of some help to some of you.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Jan,

you are a very brave person and I hope time will fly until Sept. 12th. Waiting for an operation sometimes is worse than the operation itself and/or recuperation time.
I hope and expect from what you have heard that dr. P will perform excellently and that after recuperation you will be a new person.

Hugs, Corrie

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

With all you have going on and will be going through, you are still thinking of others. My Jannie, you are something else! You are my scarecrow but you not only have the brains but the heart and courage. They are there, just look for them. When they are hard to find, let us help. You know I wish I could be there with you and your wonderful friend. But I will keep the flying monkeys away and be there in my heart. I'll call you soon. Love ya.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Sweet Ruby--

God love you, honey. I have two wonderful friends, honey. YOU and Lynne. I know you'd be there in body if you could. But, you WILL be there in spirit, along with my wonderful friend and me.

If you'd been here Monday, after I spoke with my surgeon's assistant, you wouldn't think I had any courage at all. I was looking for the Lion so I could borrow some of his. You and Lynne give me courage, Ruby. You always have.

I hope I dream of OZ when I'm out. When I wake up, Lynne will be there. Along with the "rest" of my family, of course.

Two weeks from today. I have to get through the surgery--whicih is going to be long--then I have a long haul, a long recuperation. But, doggone it! I've got some living to do, girlfriend. And, I'm going to feel so much better--better than I have felt in years.

Kick up your heels in San Antonio for me. You guys have a blast!! THEN, we'll see each other when you get back, okay? Who knows, the three muskateers will get together again--I'll bet before we know it!

LOVE and HUGS
Jannie

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Corrie

Thank you for your kind words! You are always so supportive and ready to help! After the surgeyr, I hope I'll be a new person---I'm SURE I'll be a new person!

Hugs
Jan

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Kick up our heels? No, we'll wait until you can do that with us. Now we may howl at the moon for you. Wait, I KNOW we will. But don't ever think it will be the same without you. As for the surgery, you are a tough one and though it will be a rough road, you'll make it. We will all see to that. Putting together a package for you, hope to send it off next week. PM me your mailing address, please. I'll send instructions on when and how you can open it. Love you, Ruby
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I'll hear you guys howl all the way up here....... And, I'll HOWL with you! I'm so glad we all learned about the moon from Lynne. Oh, darn it. I'd cry, but I've cried so much, believe it or not, my tears are drying up. LOL

I don't know what I ever did to deserve you guys! I mean that!

LOVE
Jan

becat

Post by becat »

You know it, I'll be there when you wake up. God works in wonderous ways. I'm glad to be there with you.
And look and all the people that have you in their thoughts and our moon, how could you go wrong from here.
I love you and I WILL SEE YOU SO SOON.
Ruby I'm taking Oz's magic with me. I'll see you soon too! Love to all.
Lynne

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Lynne,

I can't go wrong---- God has been looking out after me (even when I didn't know I HAD this wrong with me), and He keeps heaping blessings on me. Look what he did two years ago? He brought me a wonderful friend---my friend in the woods, the friend who shares her moon and her heart with everyone and who unselfishly gives of herself way beyond belief! I tell people here at home what you're doing for me, Lynne, and they are amazed at what a wonderful person you are. I'm not--I KNEW you were great. I don't know what I ever did to deserve such a wonderful friend--part of my heart and family forever. I love you!!!

And, He brought me Rubyslippers, my special friend from OZ---with her magic. Ruby, you promised to keep those stupid flying monkeys away from me--and I know you will.

I am so blessed!!!!!!!!!

My love, heart and the moon to you both.

Jan

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

The monkeys are already locked up so no fear there. You just take care of yourself and build up your strength for what lies ahead. If I actually had ruby slippers I would send them to you but you'll just have to make do with what I DO send you. (Tease, tease!)

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Oh, Ruby--- Guardian of the flying monkeys! My wonderful friend--- I don't need ruby slippers (the shoes), I have Rubyslippers (my dear friend) and I love you!

Jan

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Jan,

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Will be thinking of you and holding you close to my heart. Howling at the moon every night along with the others. ((((((((((BIG HUG))))))))))))))) *************Positive Energy************ Love Hazey
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Jan, start watching your mail about the first of the week...hopefully this thing will get to you before you go to the hospital. It's silly but it was done with lots of love.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Ruby, Thanks so much..... We're leaving Monday night, but I'll be here Monday. You are so sweet!! and, nothing is silly done from the heart!!!!

Love yo
Jan

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I had my pre-admission testing today for my upcoming surgery this coming Tesday, September 12.

I had several Medical Alert Cards with me and, as I spoke to different medical personnel, they each got a card and a complimentary "education" on RLS. One of the cards is taped to the outside of my chart, another is with the anesthesologist with his notes, and a woman who checked my vitals was so interested in hearing what RLS was REALLY like that she asked if she could have a card for herself.

I will have cards with me to give to the nurse (hired by my neuro surgeon) who will be taking care of me post-op and also will have one to give to the nurses station.

Now, I come to anyone who reads this. The surgery I'm having, spinal fusion on my thoracic spine, is going to be long and difficult. The anesthesologist said it will most likely take at least 6 hours; however, he kept saying that my neuro surgeon is very, very good. He told my husband and me various things that could happen, but he said everything will be fine. I've also been told by my surgeon's assistant that recuperation will be long. I will have a lot of pain---Dr. P is harvesting bone from my right hip to use to help fuse the titanium rods and screws to my spine. She said the hip will hurt worse than the incision(s) on my back.

I will be pretty incapacitated for awhile. I don't know how long--that just depends on how well I do. But, long story short, even though I may not sound like it---I usually talk about this as if it's happening to someone else, I think--I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing. Actally, I get sick to my stomach just thinking about everything. Night time is the worst time and, of course, I don't sleep. So, I have lots of time to think and think and think.

It could be worse--they don't have to go through my chest to get to my spine like they thought they would have to do. But, it's still going to be hard, painful, very scary and I don't want to do this!!!! I'm always a second away from crying. But, that won't change anything so I try not to. But, I do anyway.

I think the first thing I'll do when I wake up enough to be aware (after thanking God that I'm still here) is see if I can move my legs. Paralysis is a possiblity if I do or don't have the surgery. I don't think that's going to happen, but it's in the back of my mind. So, I guess I WANT to feel pain. LOL

I'm rambling here, I know..... Even if no one sees this, it makes me feel better writing about it here to my cyber family.

Jan