WARNING: DRUGS TO AVOID FOR RLS/PLMD PATIENTS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jumpyowl

WARNING: DRUGS TO AVOID FOR RLS/PLMD PATIENTS

Post by jumpyowl »

Nadia already referred to this reference and I thought it would be convenient to have the list of medications on this forum that are known to exacerbate the symptoms of RLS/PLMD:

Caffeine

Some common medications with caffeine in the US include: Cafergot, Darvon, Esgic, Exedrin, Fioricet, Fiorinal, Migralam, Norgesic, Wigraine, Anolaor, Butalbital, Femcet, Medigesic, Pacaps, Repan, and Synalgos-DC.

Antihistamines

Over-the-Counter
: brompheniramine, clemastine fumarate, chlorpheniramine, diphenhydramine, doxylamine and triprolidine

US Medications containing:
- brompheniramine: Dimetapp, Drixoral,
- chlorpheniramine include: Chlor-trimeton, Comtrex, Corciden, Sinutab Sinus and Allergy, Theraflu, Tylenol Allergy Multi Symptom
- Clemastine fumarate: Tavist
- doxylamine include: Tylenol Cold Nighttime, Nyquil (all formulas), Vicks
- dyphenhydramine inlcude: Benadryl, Pediacare, Triaminic NightTime, Tylenol PM
- triprolidine include: Actifed

Cough syrups may contain antihistamines as well as sleep aids such as Sominex (diphenhydramine), Nytol (diphenhydramine), Unisom (doxylamine).

Prescription: Take with caution (work for some RLSers, not for others): Allegra, Zyrtec and Claritin (loratadine, desloratadine, fexofenadine)

Antidepressants

The tricyclic and serotonin uptake inhibitors can worsen for a percentage of RLSers. Even if you can't take one, you may do fine on another. Trial and error is the only way to tell. The percentage of people having difficulty ranges from 0 to 30% in one study.

Antinauseants

This class of drugs includes: Anitvert, Atarax, Benadryl, Bonine, Compazine, Phenergan, Thorazine, Tigan, Trilafon and Vistaril.

Domperidone (not available in the US and available over the counter as Motilium 10 in Mexico) , does not cause worsening of RLS symptoms.

Reglan (metoclopramide) should be avoided.

Kytril (granisetron hydrochloride) and Zofran (ondansetron hydrochloride) work differently, should not effect RLS, are available in the US, but are very expensive. *Dolasetron mesylate was included in the Hening, Buchfurer and Lee book, but not on the So Cal Website.

Cough syrups

OTC: dextromethorphan and guaifenesin are fine. When combined, such as something to help cough and congestion, they may not be fine. Read ingredients for the ones listed earlier.

Prescription: Phenergan with codeine contains phenergan, which can bother RLS. The ow dose of codeine in it may or may not prevent it from bothering your RLS. Tussionex is combined with hydrocodone and chlorpheniramine; the strong dose of hydrocodone should resolve any RLS from he chlorpheniramine. Hycomine is similar to Tussionex.

Hycotuss does not contain any RLS worsening medications.

Antipsychotic medications

This class of drugs includes: Clozaril, Compazine, Haldol, Loxitane, Mellaril, Moban, Navane, Prolixin, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Serentil, Stelazine, Thorazine, and Trilafon.

Lithium, a drug helpful in manic-depressive disorders, can worsen RLS.

[b]Bladder Control drugs[/b]

Ditropan should be used with caution in RLS sufferers as it there are reports of problems.

Alcohol

Individual tolerance can vary considerably (many may not be bothered at all). Use with caution until you determine if it bothers you.

Alcohol can interact with some of the drugs used for RLS, particularly opioids. As many drugs can interact with many other substances, including non-pharmacological ones, please always check with your pharmacist or using an online drug interaction checker.

Information copied from the Southern California Support Group. Post updated in February, 2009
Last edited by jumpyowl on Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

jan3213

ANTI-NAUSEATES

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Jumpy, this is Jan

It's a great idea to actually list the medications here from the medical alert card, but something jumped out at me because I was given that particular medication for nausea and I think it's commonly given so I thought I should add it--COMPAZINE. After taking one dose, my legs went nuts. I called the pharmacist and he said I "probably" should not take it if I was on any type of Parkinson's disease medication. Shortly thereafter, I downloaded the Medical Alert Card (at either your or Nadia's suggestion) and, sure enough, there it was in black and white, under ADMINISTER WITH EXTREME CAUTION. So, I can personally attest to the fact that you should not take it!!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

jumpyowl

Correction made!

Post by jumpyowl »

Thank you, Jan, for catching that error and letting me know! I had compazine on my sheet but while copying my eyes must have skipped over it. Doing it at 4 am could have something to do with it. :wink:

I just found another error (mispelling). Please, anybody who can add something or correct something on this list, let me know.

Happy dreams to everyone!
Jumpy Owl

sardsy75

Just a thought

Post by sardsy75 »

I know that 90% of the members in here are US based, but for the other 10% sometimes Brand Names used in one country don't mean the same thing in another country.

Could we possibly look at also listing the generic names and/or the chemical names?

I can help out with research into brand/generic/chemical names if you like.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

jan3213

Correction made

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Jumpy, this is Jan

No problem, Jumpy! I was afraid not to add compazine because it's commonly given for things like food poinsoning, etc. My dr. gave it to me after my surgery because I was nauseated all the time. It's easy to miss something when you're typing from a list. Happens to me all the time!!! You had a great idea!!!!! Thanks for thinking of it!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

jumpyowl

Great idea Nadia!

Post by jumpyowl »

Could we possibly look at also listing the generic names and/or the chemical names?

Would you like to do it Nadia, as you are probably more familiar with foreign names? I could do the chemical names (perhaps I should) but I am working hard on the questionnaire (I have a self-imposed deadline).

It is harder than I thought, and, of course, I would like it to be "perfect."

Or if you just want to send me the names in Australia and the Orient,, I could then complete the whole thing and edit it into this post (so we do not have tooo many of them and confuse people).

Help is always welcome, Jan and Nadia.
Jumpy Owl

sardsy75

I'm up to the challenge!!

Post by sardsy75 »

You're not a Virgo by any chance Jumpy???

I'm more than happy to give this a go (including chemical names) and am thinking of doing it up in a table format with the information running across; but we'll see. I love a challenge!!

Hubby (being all IT-wise) may come up with a better alternative for the layout, so i'll be quizzing him and using him as my "would this make sense to you if you were a newbie?" subject.

Will keep you posted on how I am progressing and when I've got a fair bit of data collated, may rope a few of you into giving me a bit of feedback before we unleash it into the public arena.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

jumpyowl

I am puzzled Nadia:

Post by jumpyowl »

Why would you think I am a Virgo? (my wife is, but I am a Sagittarius). I could not be more different from Virgo.

Anyway I hope you are only thinking of this "table" of what not to take.

I am, on the other hand, working on the base questionnaire which is getting more complex by the minute. I hope I can finish it in 24 hours. Will post it for critique, then after streamlining I will ask everybody to fill it out (complete it). Only after that I can give RLS Foundation the abstract of my talk.

So the thing is urgent. :shock:

Did you get my pictures? I hope they have gone through OK. :)

Good night to everyone. 0.5 mg Mirapax and 50 ng of Ultram and I will be ready. - more or less. Thereafter I will be heading toward LA LA LAND (we learn a lot from each other).
Jumpy Owl

sardsy75

This is why I asked:

Post by sardsy75 »

jumpyowl wrote:...I am working hard on the questionnaire (I have a self-imposed deadline).

It is harder than I thought, and, of course, I would like it to be "perfect."

Your two statements above were the reason I asked. Virgo's are usually top of the list when it comes to being perfectionists (and i'm a prime example :roll: ).

However, as soon you said you were Sagitarius, it also made sense. My dad is a Sagitarius and in a lot of ways (personality-wise) is very much like you.

It also helps explain why we get on so well, as I have a closer, more open relationship with my dad (the sagitarian) than my mum (the gemini).
Nadia

Anonymous

Hydrocodone / codeine derivatives?

Post by Anonymous »

Hi all

I've had RLS for about 5 years, was diagnosed last year, and am currently on Mirapex 1 mg 2x day. I had a couple of surgeries last year (carpal tunnel and hysterectomy), and was given pain relievers with codeine. These made me jump off the wall :shock: !!! It seems to be restricted to anything with codeine. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks

becat

hate codiene

Post by becat »

Hi ipsi,
Yes I have the same reaction to codiene. I list it among my drug allergies at the doctor's office. What surprises me is that the doctor told me that I was not allergic to it and my itching, and nausea was normal..........might be normal, but I won't take codiene.

jumpyowl

Quod dixi, dixi!

Post by jumpyowl »

Another RLS patient with classical education! Welcome!

My first medication for RLS was Hydrocodone. It worked well for me. Its efficacy is shown by severe paresthesia when I stop taking it. However, I weaned away myself from HC because I had palpitations and other cardiac arrythmia from the synthetic codein derivative (hydrocodone) in the pill. Ultram does not do that.
Jumpy Owl

SUGAR

makes sense

Post by SUGAR »

After thinking back on all the meds I have been given, Phenergen for severe nausea while pregnant( I just about jumped off the bed) they immediately gave me Benadryl which helped that, Um codeine, Oh man I thought I was just a wimp because it made me not feel good at all. Now I know to be more careful with what I take.

becat

Post by becat »

bump this up too

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

back to the top... Hugs all around... Hazey