Requip, air travel and dosage !! Help

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

Requip, air travel and dosage !! Help

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi folks, I take 2mg Requip in the evening. (plus magnesium and folic acid and Vit. B.) As I am going long haul flight (9 hours journey) in 4 days, flying early morning, I was wondering if I could also take 2mg Requip at the start of the flight at around 12.30 lunchtime. Would this be too much Requip in a 24 hour period. Does anyone have any ideas. Bearing in mind that we are flying east to west from UK to Canada and will gain 8 hours so my body clockwill be all over the place. Ta
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jumpy

Post by jumpy »

Betty, I'm on 1mg of Requip. I don't know what the result would be if you took more that prescribed..Why don't you ask a pharmacist or your doctor? I found that a opioid worked best on long hauls. As long as I'm not driving.. You might want to try something like that before the trip to make sure it does not make you sick...Have a great trip...Pat

Neco

Post by Neco »

I can't speak for side effects like drowsiness, etc.. But as RLS patients, we typically take nowhere near the dose of a Parkinsons patient, and they take a hell of a lot. So if you are simply worried about too much for your body, then don't be.

Polar Bear

Requip and air travel

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks Pat and Zach. I have a short initial flight of 1 and a half hours and wont take anything. On boarding the long haul (9 hours) I will take 2 mg Requip which hopefully will help initially, along with a few laps of the plane when required and a bottle of tonic water, haven't tried that yet but saw it in some of the posts. I also have 2mg diazepam tablets which could be a good backup. Also flight socks which may give a little compression. I will talk with the pharmacist regarding an opiod, or whatever I can get, would have to be something over the counter.
I'll let you know how I get on!!! It used to be a hassle getting out with the children..... now they are all grown up, and I'm the one with the bags and lotions!!
Thanks again, Betty
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Betty, I would be really, really afraid of taking the Requip a lot earlier than normal - especially if you plan to take the same amount when you get there as your normal nightly dose. That's double your regular amount and you could be nauseous or have other side effects.

Personally, I'd get something completely different for the trip. An opioid like Vicoden, a benzodiazepine like temazapam (Restoril), or tramadol (Ultam) might be a much better choice. Then you don't change your normal dosage of the Requip.

Also, I think some of us have already given other ideas in other threads when you've asked about this - like taking a pillow to use to push your feet against, taking Suduko or other concentration items, etc.

Enjoy Canada.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Requip and travel

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks, I note what you are saying about the possible side effects of a double dose of Requip. You suggest temazepam, is that the same as diazepam which I do have. With regard to an opiod if these are on doctor's prescription only, I won't have the opportunity to see him and try and get it. I do have the usual books, magazines, crosswords etc to occupy my mind during our flight, also we are travelling in a party of six to include 3 sons and a daughter-in-law, and they are pretty lively. I also have an inflateable pillow which I intend to use for my feet.

Also, regarding the opiod, is this for rls sufferers with pain, cos I don't have pain, just the crawlies, the twitchies and the burning feet.

However, having had pretty good sleep for quite a few weeks, I find for the first time in ages, it is now 2.30 am and I am up 'again' having had my feet in the bucket of water, used a cooling gel on my feet and legs, emptied the dishwasher. had a walk about etc. etc. I am hoping that a little time spent on the computer will help me settle and get back to bed. Thank goodness tomorrow is Sunday and I don't have to get up at 7am for work. My lovely hubby will make breakfast and tell me to lie on in bed.

As I said, my sleep pattern (excepting tonight) has been much improved so let's hope tonight is a 'one of'. A little bit of what I suspect is rebound in coming thru in the afternoons whilst I am at work, so for a while I either stand at my desk and work, or kneel on the floor, with shoulders at desk level, mind you my colleagues help lighten the day, My lawyer boss knelt beside me and called to the other staff to our 'prayer meeting' !!!

Well.... I have rather gone off on a bit of a ramble. Goodnight to all of you who find yourselves logging on tonight in the wee small hours. I am now going to 'have another go' as legs haven't twitched now for about five minutes.... let's see what happens when I lie down to sleep..zzzzzzzz
Betty

Polar Bear

Still awake

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi folks, don't know what happened but went to bed and my little respite'as I thought' didn't continue, within 10minutes thecrawlies were back. So Ive been up and about again and its now 5.30 am
Help !
Betty

SquirmingSusan

Re: Requip and travel

Post by SquirmingSusan »

betty bankin wrote:Thanks, I note what you are saying about the possible side effects of a double dose of Requip. You suggest temazepam, is that the same as diazepam which I do have. With regard to an opiod if these are on doctor's prescription only, I won't have the opportunity to see him and try and get it. I do have the usual books, magazines, crosswords etc to occupy my mind during our flight, also we are travelling in a party of six to include 3 sons and a daughter-in-law, and they are pretty lively. I also have an inflateable pillow which I intend to use for my feet.

Also, regarding the opiod, is this for rls sufferers with pain, cos I don't have pain, just the crawlies, the twitchies and the burning feet.

Hi Betty, just to let you know, temazepam isn't the same as diazepam, but they're in the same category of drugs. I believe temazepam has a short half life and is used more for sleep? Diazepam (Valium) worked for my RLS for 10 years, but I was taking it for something else. But let me tell you, it is a great airsickness drug, if you get into turbulence. I don't usually get airsick, but last winter my plane took off in a thunderstorm, and even the flight attendants were hanging on for dear life. Diazepam is a good drug. 8) It'll help with the RLS, with motionsickness, with relaxation, maybe even help you sleep. (It also has a host of positive side effects like calming down your heart muscle, lowering blood pressure, etc. Once the pharmacists told me all the positive side effects, I didn't worry about long term use.)

As for opiods, like codeine, Vicodin (hydrocodone), morphine, Percocet (oxycodone) - For me they work for both pain and the crawlies. Here in the states, they are all controlled substances, so you need a prescription. I know some countries have codeine available OTC.

I hope you have a great trip!

Susan

Polar Bear

A bad.. bad.. night

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you susan about the drugs, what a bad night I've had... took my usual 2 mg Requip at 9 pm then watched a movie, tried to sleep at 11.30 without success, around 2am took 4 mg valium and then at 6am took another 4 mg valium, still no sleep and no respite in the legs and arms. it's now 8.30 am. I've been awake all night, The sunday dinner is completely prepared and another wash in the machine. Legs started at around 8.30 last night so THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER that it has lasted this long! in one stretch. The last time that I got up from bed was 15 minutes ago and AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER the crawlies just kept going for about 10 minutes and are just starting to calm down a little tho I dread to think what will happen if I lie down. During the night I tried making a little pile of 4 pillows and knelt in front of them, leaning over them with the blankets over me, to see if this position would help, but it was of no use. Heaven only knows what made me think it might help!!

It is only 24 hours until we commence our jvery long ourney, and today is Sunday. I haven't a hope of getting a prescription from the doctor for codein or some such (if he would even agree to prescribe it). Think I will try my pharmacist and see if she will give me say, 4 pills, to see if they help with the journey.

OK, here goes again, I'll try again for some sleep. The house is quiet dear hubby is asleep but it must be very lightly cos each time I get back into bed he pats me and puts his arm around me. Two grown up sons snoring away also... Oh.. the bliss of being able to sit/lie quietly and relax.
Goodnight/good morning bye for now, Betty
Betty

ctravel12

requip, air travel and dosage !! help

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Betty. I just finished reading all of your posts. I am so sorry that you are having a rough time especially with a 9 hr flight coming up.

It is so wonderful that we have so many members giving you advise to help you along. I hope that one of them works for you.

The RLS is bad enough and then being sleep deprived is miserable.

It is wonderful that you have such a compassionate and caring husband.

Please keep us posted on how everything is going and sending lots of prayers for your tripl

I hope that the pharmacist is able to give you something for your trip and also for your much needed sleep.

If lots of will help, then I will send them along the way for you

((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Polar Bear

thanks

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you Charlene, I will let you know how the trip/travel etc. goes. I will be gone for two weeks. With a bit of luck the last 24 hours have just been a bad hiccup!
Take care, good luck everyone. Betty
Betty

Polar Bear

trip

Post by Polar Bear »

Charlene, should have added that our trip from UK to Canada is for our son's wedding in Edmonton, Canada, He works in Oregon USA and because of wedding expenses etc hasn't been home to N.Ireland since last March, so it is almost a year since we have seen him, tho the wonders of email keep us in touch daily and we talk on the telephone almost every week for maybe an hour or so.
So perhaps, I wonder, if my emotions regarding the wedding, seeing him again, meeting the 'inlaws, and stress levels with sorting the trip for 6 of us, are causing a little havoc with my sleep pattern/rls. Course my difficulty is that I kinda find it hard to delegate, need to check and keep on top arrangements.

Also does anyone else find that when their rls is at full speed, it is difficult to read, i.e. my reading goes at a galloping pace, almost keeping time with the crawlies!!!

Bye for now, Betty
Betty

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey betty

My daughter is getting married on March 24 and my emotions are on a roller coaster. We haven't met the prospective in-laws yet and have last minute wedding details to take care of. So, I know what you mean about sleep patterns being messed up. OMG, I can't sleep!!! I normally don't sleep well, but it's been crazy. And, although I'm happy and love my prospective son in law, my little girl is getting married! I think it's normal to feel this way.

When my rls is bad and my sleep habits are so messed up, I can't settle down to read either. My eyes won't stay still enough to read carefully, so I miss things. I can't seem to stay on task with anything.

You've got a huge flight ahead of you. I have a problem with a 2 hour flight, let alone as long a flight as you will have! I'm flying to San Diego, CA in April--a 4 hour flight--and I'm worried about that one.

Do you have anything like Vicodin to take? The last time I flew, that helped me, in addition to my regular meds--Mirapex and Clonazepam.

Good luck, Betty, with everything. Congratulations on the wedding. I hope you can relax and have a great time when the big day comes around.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Polar Bear

Codeine

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks Jan.
I managed to get the doc to give me a prescription today for Codeine for my 9 hour plane journey. Note I don't have pain, just the crawlies... Did I say 'just' !!! She has given me tablets of 15 mg. What dosage does anyone suggest to take for the journey and at what stage. i.e. just getting on the plane,,, or what.
ta, Betty
Betty

jumpy

Post by jumpy »

Betty, I'm no doctor, but 15mg of codeine sounds a bit high to me, if you are not used to taking it. I would try cutting it in 1/2 before the trip and see what it does to you. Also, it usually takes about 30 mins to set in. hope this helps...Have a great trip...Pat