And so the ridicule begins.

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
SquirmingSusan

And so the ridicule begins.

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Last night I watched the Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson, as I usually do. When he started making fun of RLS and dancing around pretending to have "restless legs" several thoughts went through my mind. :?

Ok, he makes fun of EVERYTHING. That's what makes him funny. I can live with it. I mean, how long have people been making fun of people with Schizophrenia or Tourette's? And now we have this new awareness of RLS...

Those Requip ads have really done a lot to raise awareness of this disorder, and hopefully people (especially doctors!) will learn about it and try to understand how this impacts our lives.

On the other hand, a new movement disorder is just custom made for comedians. It's better than making fun of politicians. :shock:

And somehow, I don't think that writing letters to comedians would help our cause. Seems like it would just give them more ammunition.

And so it starts. Mark my words, it has only just begun. :oops:

Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I think Ferguson's one of the funniest guys I've ever seen, especially on a talk show. I'm a little peeved to have our problem dismissed, though.

It's not like Tourette's, where the problem is acknowledged and then made fun of. He said RLS is made up. That's entirely different. I just don't want a false opinion established that RLS isn't real. He can make fun of it all he likes, just not dismiss it as fake.

I have no clue whom to write to, though.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/latelate/email/

Here's a link. I just adore him and think he's hilarious. And I teach personality types with the enneagram (if you're interested, check out the link to my website) and I'm the same type as he is. My poor family. :oops:

I don't know if I'll write about that or not. If I do, I'll say that he can make fun of us all he wants, just don't say it's not real. Nothing this weird could be made up!

Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So, what's your number, Susan? Many comedians are 6s and 7s. I'm a 7, but in no way a comedian type.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Don't know if anyone saw last week's segment of Boston Legal but RLS was also mentioned in one of the "closing arguments." It caught me by surprise and happened very quickly. I'm not sure it was necessary derogatory but it was grouped along with ADHD (and others) and the fact that the pharmacutical companies have a drug for everything that you can come up with a name for. I think there was the inference that it was not particularly a legitimate condition. Anybody else have a clearer interpretation.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

ViewsAskew wrote:So, what's your number, Susan? Many comedians are 6s and 7s. I'm a 7, but in no way a comedian type.

I'm a 7. Manic happy energy meets chronic frustration. :lol: And yes, I naturally act like Ferguson. I have that intense kind of energy. I'm seriously hard to live with. Entertaining, but exhausting. Breaking into song all the time, compulsively cracking jokes, dancing around the house... And I'm up until the Late, Late Show every night.

I wonder what percentage of RLS sufferers are in the head triad. We're the most high strung and anxious, and most prone to insomnia otherwise. Especially 7s.

The whole brain chemistry vs. type thing is interesting to me. Sevens have the highest activity of the 3 main brain chemicals, dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. How does that work with RLS? Maybe we just burn out our dopamine systems faster :?:

OK, now I'm really off on a tangent. Not that 7s go off on tangents...

Susan

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Mark wrote:Don't know if anyone saw last week's segment of Boston Legal but RLS was also mentioned in one of the "closing arguments." It caught me by surprise and happened very quickly. I'm not sure it was necessary derogatory but it was grouped along with ADHD (and others) and the fact that the pharmacutical companies have a drug for everything that you can come up with a name for. I think there was the inference that it was not particularly a legitimate condition. Anybody else have a clearer interpretation.

I'm telling you, it's just beginning. This condition is making its way into the public mindset, and we'll be hearing about it for a long time. It's a 2-sided coin. With the good will come the ridicule. And RLS is a bizarre condition.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'm sure these people truly have no clue that rls is a real disease. They hear the name and see the stupid Requip commercials, and it's easy to see why they wouldn't take it seriously. I think they just dismiss it without even thinking twice. I'm certain if these people had any clue how much some of us suffer with this disease, they wouldn't make fun. At least, I hope they wouldn't.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Make Mine Coffee wrote:Let me add that I am thankful for the Requip commercials because they have made people more aware of the disease. I just wish the commercials would represent us in a more accurate way.

Oh no kidding. One of those ads just came on. There she is on her green chair, in her fancy sunroom, with a large pitcher of ice tea next to her, doing a crossword puzzle... (Maybe she should think about kicking that ice tea habit if she wants to get some sleep!) That's not how my life is!

Oh well, it's helping make people aware. :?

Susan

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I wrote to Ferguson. This is what I wrote:

Dear Craig,

I am a total fan of your show, and so are my kids. I even let them stay up late and watch your show. You are such a crack up and we can count on having a good laugh every night.

Unfortunately, the reason I'm up late every night is that I have RLS (restless leg syndrom), that "made-up" condition you were making fun of the other night.

OK, it's a bizarre condition, and is custom-made for late night comedy. But I assure you, it is REAL. Nothing this weird could ever be made up. Kind of like sex, that way.

Just realize that a lot of us really suffer from this condition - it causes horrible sleep deprivation at the least, and for some of us excruciating pain. Not to mention the frustration of seeking treatment from practitioners who don't take the condition seriously.

Go ahead. Make fun of it. Just remember that it's a real, scientifically documented movement disorder, similar to Parkinson's disease, and it affects up to 10% of the population. And that those of us who are affected by RLS are more likely to be watching your show.

Sincerely,

Susan from St. Paul

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Great job Susan! You go girl!
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

brandy

Post by brandy »

Great letter, Susan! You have a way with words and the way you surrounded your informing him with compliments and encouragement will increase your chances of being taken seriously. We are lucky to have you on our team!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I agree, Brandy. Great letter!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.