Smart Pain-Blockers

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Critter

Smart Pain-Blockers

Post by Critter »

Hi Fellow "Walkers", I'm pretty new here, just started posting yesterday, but have been reading about all of you almost non-stop. Lots of helpful & encouraging info, thank you. I used to read stuff online a long time ago but hadn't lately. But I have started having more trouble so I started looking for more answers.
I recently read (Readers Digest March 07)about some new pain medications they are using in Irag. It is a nonaddictive pain-blocker. It is actually a synthetic antibody known as RN624- that inhibits a molecular pain messenger called nerve growth factor. It keeps the brain from receiving pain messages sent by nerve endings surrounding injuries. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about it & whether it might work for rls since other pain medications do. Probably a long shot but we with rls do get desparate sometimes. Critter

becat

Post by becat »

Hi again Critter,
This is so cool. This was talked about at one of my meetings, the future of medications......(not just about pain meds).
But, our medical advisor told us about the new line of pain meds on the horizon, ones that will not be addictive to our bodies, just like you said they will simply address pain without some of the major problems/side effects of the old, newer, or what ever, meds we have now. I had no idea they were that close.
This truely is amazing to me, however, since some of us are sensitive to many meds, it will be a learning experience for us all.
Being a lab rat myself, it gives me hope.
So Yes I have heard about the meds, but no names and no real information about how well they work. By Amen to research for better possiblities.
Yup I'd try them. And I have no idea why we couldn't ask further in our community, like Dr. B., about this.
Lynne

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I absolutely would, Em. You already know what it's like to be in h*ll. I think I'd get a list of every drug that anyone ever took for it and start on them.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If your RLS was exactly like the middle-of-the-bell-curve-RLS, well, maybe it wouldn't make sense. But, sometimes logic stops prevailing and you just have to get creative. There is something about your RLS that stops many drugs from working. Maybe one of these other "odd" drugs worked on people who were like you, but no one knows that they were different for whatever reason. Sure, it might not work, and the odds may not be logically in favor. But, I prefer the quote attributed to Thomas Edison - when asked about how many failures he had, he supposed said, "I've not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work."

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Critter

Dr.B?

Post by Critter »

Hi, Who is Dr. B? you mentioned, becat? I am not sure of the protocol for discussion boards. I am so intrigued about all this information. I knew there were lots of others out there but don't come in contact with them alot in my everyday life. It's great to talk & read about you all. Thanks, Chris

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Dr Buchfurer - he's sort of our mascot, hero, and favorite RLS doc rolled into one. You can find his site at www.rlshelp.org and you can buy the book he co-wrote (with dox Hening and Kushida) on RLS at Amazon.

Managing Your RLS