Cows

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Rubyslipper

Cows

Post by Rubyslipper »

As most of you know we live on a farm and raise cows. Right now we are in the middle of having baby calves (the cows, not us). It has been extremely cold here, with ice and snow so things don't always go very well when the cow gives birth. We've had two calves and one cow die so far. The calf from the cow that died wasn't doing very good but we always try our best to save them. Kenny brought it into the shop next to the furnace, dried it off with MY hair-dryer and got it warm. He had milked out the cow that lost her calf so we warmed up the milk, put it in a bottle and went outside. Now I have "the touch" (according to Kenny) when it comes to getting a newborn calf to take a bottle. If you don't get them to take one right away to warmup their insides, they just die. Well this little lady was stubborn but I was more so. I worked on her for 1/2 hour until she was tired. I went back out a couple of hours later and we worked for another hour. She just wasn't getting the hang of it. But I did get some down her. This morning when I went in you could almost see the panic on her little white face "Oh, no here comes that thing with the other thing she keeps poking in my mouth!" BUT she was trying to get up and she was fighting me instead of just lying there rolling her eyes. So we took her out to the mother who had lost the calf, got her where she coldn't get away and I held baby in place hoping for the best. IT WORKED!!! It took a little while for baby to find the right things but when she did, she started sucking like there was no tomorrow! I know this is all probably boring to you but it's just such a miracle to me when we manage to get an orphaned calf to be accepted by another mother. While I was watching this one, in the next pen was a little red calf that was jumping all over the place, running all around. Then he would stop, look around like "is everybody watching me?' I shouldn't have even been out there because I'm paying for it now but what a rush! Sorry for going on so long. Just wanted to share part of my day.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ctravel12

cows

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Rubyslipper Thank you so much for sharing that part of your life with us. It was so touching and even brought tears to my eyes. When I read this, I felt I was right there watching you.

You are such a wonderful and caring person. What a wonderful thing to do.

I am so priviledge to be a part of this family.

Thank you again.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks Rubyslipper, that was fun to read. Not boring at all.

Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I kept envisioning that movie The Rare Breed - Brian Keith and Maureen O-Hara. Trying to get the Hereford cows introduced into the US and that horrid winter. It sure looked like hard work to me in that movie. . .and I can only imagine how hard of work it really is right now for you, Ruby.

I am so glad you got them bonded and paired. It must be difficult to lose them.

I hope you recover from the efforts very, very soon.
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

That's me--Maureen O'Hara! Only without the red hair and beauty. :lol: We just got another orphaned calf from a neighbor to try to pair with a mother who lost her calf but this one isn't going as well. Hey, ct, anytime you want to be a part of this family in Missouri, come on out. As it is, our extended family here is wonderful and growing, just like a family should. Thanks Views and Susan for your kind words. Probably wasn't really something for the board here but I just wanted to share.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

becat

Post by becat »

Miss Ruby, I am ssoooooooo proud of your MOOOOO MOMMMA skills.
What a great story.
If your calfing right now, that means my Aunt and Uncle are too.
They have the barns and the house wired with TV camera looking into the stalls. They take turns and check the computers 24/7.
I'm trying to time my visit to them, just after the birthing season, as I do not look good in long gloves.......LOL
"But Honestly Miss Ruby, I don't know nothin' about birthin babies!"
I can't believe I got to use that one first. Roll me over, that is funny.
I love you keep warm my darling.
Lynne

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Awwwwww, Miss Ruby, I LOVED your story. You are a wonder---is there ANYTHING you can't do? Maureen O'Hara doesn't have a thing on you, my dear!

I love ya!!!!!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Maureen who?

ctravel12

cows

Post by ctravel12 »

Hey Rubyslipper I would be honored to be part of your family. If I am ever out that way will let you know then we get together. I can just see me the city girl out in the country. My dh would be right at home as he goes to Ill. every year to help his buddy farm 6000 acres. I think that he is nuts, but what can I say. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

walkindafloors

Post by walkindafloors »

I think we all look forward to reading posts like your "cow story", Ruby to remind us how precious life is. My dh breeds dogs (we currently have 14 puppies and 2 mama's boarding in our basement) and even when they deliver 10-12 healthy pups, when one is born still or near dead, we work the hardest to get it going.
Thanks again for sharing your story and taking my mind away from my own issues that are so burdensome these days...I haven't been here for a while - just couldn't sit or concentrate - but have missed reading how each of you are doing.
Who took the FUN out of disFUNctional?
Kim <><

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

you know ruby when i was in texas and we raised beef cattle, we always had few milk cows(dairy) and we would put all the new calves on those milk moms. Sometimes we would have to because their natural mom didn't want to have anything to do with them or they didn't produce enough milk.

I am so glad you did that post, made me remember being on the farm in texas.

dee :D
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

brandy

Post by brandy »

What a treasure you are, Ruby-girl! I was sitting hear all set to enter into another sleepless or at lest restless night - feeling sorry for myself and the whole kaboodle - and I actually smiled and felt my heart lift for a moment. The beauty of our board comes not only the times when we share our worst but also when we share our best a beautiful moments. My RLS Foundation family is a big splash of beauty in a sometimes cruddy world. Thank you all!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

becat

Post by becat »

Miss Ruby, How are the cow eds? The baby cow eds?
Ya'll just look at frozen as the Northeast. You Poor thing, how did you even get to the barn?
I really would help, but I'll make those "ewwwwwww" sounds the whole time too. Your choice, the offer is out there. LOL Well in spirit anyway.
I have always loved baby cow eds......and that is so cute to say it that way until you actually move into the country. As a 10 yr old. my best friend and I decided that we should use our day trying to ride a yr old maybe 1 1/2 steer. Did you know that those ##@#! suffering cows will chase small children? I didn't....... :shock: Then!
I learn all my track and field skills that day. LOL
I hope that all is ok. Everyone is healthy and warm. Humans included there. And may the sun shine warm and bright for you the weekend through.
Love and hugs and our moon,
Lynne

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

BABY COW UPDATE!!! Baby #1 is doing fine. Momma still isn't sure that this baby should be taking her milk so she kicks once in awhle but baby hangs in there and is looking good. Baby #2 does a good job of eating but we still have to lock momma up so that she stays in one place and baby can eat. Baby #3 today didn't make it. Man, that's tough when you lose one. The weather here has warmed up and MOST of the ice is gone. Other-wise we slide down to the lot (literally!) and I have crawled back up a time or two. As for the "ewww" stuff, Miss Becat, I'll bet you would handle it all just fine. The worst part is that the babies usually say "thank you" when you finally get them feeding off momma by pooping. And since I am holding from behind to keep them in place....I've gone through a LOT of clothes in the past week!

becat

Post by becat »

You never fail to amaze me Miss Ruby.
Ok, first, love it......normal/washing machines. I'm so right there with you. If we had a normal life, we'd probably think something was wrong for sure. :shock: :? :D
I'm so sorry that a nature part of your routine is having to let go of those not born to a long life. I know it's so hard for a heart as warm and tender as yours. But the beauty of birth and the beginning of life. I'd love to help and yeah I got a ton of paint clothes, can't think a little doooooo would hurt them.......just me! LOL Ok, probably not. I'll pack up for next year.
Yes, I do hear our song. Maybe I should write too! He he he, hmmmm but where? LOL
Ok, down to business here. Girl if I win the lottery (might have to play it first) I'd buy you a summer/winter 4 wheeler, with chains for the tires. Maybe a ski (snow) do thingy. I can't promise I would not giggle a bit at the sight of you and Kenny sliding down the hill. But I do think maybe we could have some fun with it. Ok, with Kenny. LOL
I love you Darling. I hope that you are well and a restful night is ahead of you.
Hugs My Moooo Momma.
Our moon should be bright tonight,
Lynne