marijuana

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
vinton

marijuana

Post by vinton »

I cant take mirapex or any of that med type so I'm thinking of marijuana. Here in canada its legal for medical purposes but available in pills. I've never tried it but some friends cultivate it and without any addditives. So what is your opinion on this?

Thanks
Had multiple sclerosis for 35 years +

Haggi

Post by Haggi »

It worked for me all through my college days. I didn't know what RLS was then but I knew it helped me calm my body down so I could sleep. I didn't need a lot either, one or two hits before going to sleep.

I'd still be taking it if not for the risk to my family and career if I got caught with it. Penna. is not a med-mar friendly state.
--Haggi

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

In Dr. B's book he says that he hears from patients that it works well, and doesn't take much, and that it works for even severe RLS. (He does qualify that with disclaimers about it being illegal.) The Marinol pill doesn't seem to be as effective, although I was just reading about a new one being developed that has 2 active components that should be quite effective on RLS as well as pain.

Susan
Last edited by SquirmingSusan on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

becat

Post by becat »

This is exactly what my friends in the past have said about the pill.
Those with cancer that got it during treatment.
The pill is not the same.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I had lunch with a friend today and was telling her of the difficulties of getting treated for RLS. She said she had a friend who is a cancer nurse and really has seen positive results with marijuana. She offered to hook me up. If I give it a try, you all will be the first to know!

There is something hugely tempting about using a substance that it doesn't take a prescription to get. If it would work. I'm finding out that not much really does work for me. :(

Susan

ctravel12

marijuana

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Susan Please let us know how it works for you. I hope that you are able to find some much needed relief.

Good luck to you and keep us informed.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Susan, if you go through back posts or search on it, you'll find mixed results - more positive than negative but it's by no means a sure thing. There were also some posts about it on two other forums with mixed results - one Yahoo forum and the We Move forum.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Oh, but Ann, if it does work it would be so cool! And I'll never know if I don't try. Right now I'm so fed up with doctors, I would smoke a turd if I thought it might help. :?

Why do people buy drugs illegally... Maybe because we can't get the legal, safe drugs! What a health care system we have. :x

Susan

Aff

Post by Aff »

Hi, i'm new here and just wanted to start off by talking about Marijuana.

i began using it recreationally some years ago (over 10) and it stopped my restless legs too. since then i gradually cut down as the partying ceased until over the years i've been having just one before bedtime.

however, this year (january) in decided to quit because i was worried about cancer from smoking and tbh, i felt i needed to stop a 'habit'.

however, since then i have not slept properly at all, feel terrible due to sleep loss, have slept more often in the spare room as i wake g/f up with 'jigging' legs. all in all my quality of life has deteriorated.

i've tried many things, chillow, magnesium, water, showers, etc. the only thing that works is nytol (non-herbal). but i don't fancy being addicted to that.

i'm sorely tempted to go back to Marijuana. what are my cancer risks on such a level? the doctor said smoking (which is what i told him) should be cut out for RLS.

i'm confused with what to do. i'm sure if i could sleep and quit Marijuana i would be in top condition but RLS is giving me hell.

i've just ordered some All Calm in desperation!

after all this though, if you want to take Marijuana i'm certain it may give you some relief. i would add that only take drugs like this if you are in sane order, otherwise steer clear of any drugs like this.

Haggi

Post by Haggi »

Try using an herbal vaporizer. The one I used was homemade, and I never quite worked the bugs out (needed better airflow, more heat, and a smaller chamber). There's several stores that sell them online with prices from $20 or so up to a couple hundred for the really fancy ones.
--Haggi

Aff

Post by Aff »

Thanks Haggi, i had to laugh then as i can imagiune the looks on peoples faces when i say i'm ONLY taking marijuana to get to sleep. then showing them some contraption which looks as far away from a typical jopint to them as possible.

but yes, i had considered this once. maybe time for a re-think.

btw, how do you solve your rls?

Haggi

Post by Haggi »

I've been taking Mirapex, .125 early in the afternoon, and .250 before bed.

It helps me sleep, but I still find I'm waking up about 5:30 in the morning with RLS symptoms. Occasionally, I'll take an Ambien to help me sleep, but I don't like to take it every night.

MJ worked well for me, but I won't smoke it in the house, and everywhere else is either not private enough, or requires driving.
--Haggi

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Aff wrote:Thanks Haggi, i had to laugh then as i can imagiune the looks on peoples faces when i say i'm ONLY taking marijuana to get to sleep. then showing them some contraption which looks as far away from a typical jopint to them as possible.

but yes, i had considered this once. maybe time for a re-think.

btw, how do you solve your rls?

LOL, yeah, I googled "vaporizers." Some of them look downright "medical." I'm not investing in one until I know it works, though. :roll:

Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

Well, This Report by The Washington Post, says some interesting tjom

I'll be getting my hands on some myself pretty soon, as I've been curious about trying it too. Everything I've read seems to indicate it only take a couple of hits and that's all. I know I definitely won't be using it for recreation because I never did like the way it made me feel/act.